Favorite Backcountry Gear for 2020?

1. First Lite SEAK rainjacket, the importance of good raingear really can't be understated in the PNW
2. Vortex Viper 10X42 good glass and does not break the bank

topher89

WKR
1. Stone Glacier De Havilland Pants. I wore them 3rd and 4th season in Colorado in a range of temperatures. Such a great pant. Cut the wind well and felt tailored without being restrictive. The side zips were money when I was pulling a mule deer out in a sled.

2. Vortex Viper scope with a ballistic reticle. First time using a ballistic type reticle and even though the scope is not the absolute top of the line, definitely the nicest scope I have ever used. Shot animals at 300, 220 and 200 using the reticle and was on each time.

3. Argali Game Bags.

4. Tripod. This was my first year running a tripod and it was just like everyone said, it is a game changer. I was just running 10x binos but holy crap, it was so much better than free-handing.

5. MSR Windburner- Heavier than my Pocket Rocket and my Snow Peak but way more reliable in the cold and much faster. Fired up quite a few coffees on the mountain side this year.

Last edited:

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Rolo hot chocolate.
spent a sort of unplanned night out, mainly due to not watching the time/distance and weather. Threw up a tarp, got some wood together for the night, once the fire got going, the rolo hot chocolate really took the edge off. Nice place I switch it up from tea.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
A few additions and one piece of gear that I continue to pack on every backpack hunt

Kifaru Gun Bearer
Kuiu Ultra Merino 145 Hoodie
EXPED Down Socks - these continue to be a favorite on backpack hunts
Duckworth Lightweight socks
Maven B1 10x42 - amazing upgrade over my Vortex Diamondback

willidru

WKR
Fortunately/Unfortunately have my set up where I like it so didn’t add a ton of new gear but what I did add was great

1. arcteryx cerium LT - so warm and light weight
2. Maven 18x56 - my 65mm spotter didn’t nearly as much use
3. Marsupial phone pouch - easy access on the bino harness no digging in the pockets
4. Pyro putty - because I never made it as a Boy Scout

TFrank

WKR
I have heard that the XTherm is really loud when you move around on it. Do you think this is true?
Also, how do you like the bag liner? Considering getting a bag liner to put over my sleeping pad and transitioning to a quilt
It makes sounds like your moving on parchment paper or something similar. I don’t think it is necessarily louder than any other pad, the sound it makes is just weird. Still the pad I would always use.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I don't usually make many gear changes so just a few small things this year:

1. Soto Windmaster Stove - Upgraded from my old MSR pocket rocket. Now I can actually have a conversation while my stove is going, it's much more fuel efficient and the Piezo igniter is a nice bonus.

2. Anker Portable Charger - I've always just been stingy with my battery and only turned my phone on to blue tooth with my inReach and send messages. Now I can use the Kindle app and read a book during down time.

3. Gaia GPS app - Not new but I finally trusted it enough to leave my stand alone gps unit at home and it worked flawlessly. This freed up enough weight for item #4

4. Montana Fly Co 6oz Flask - w/ Blantons. A weight penalty I'll take every time from now on.

5. Peak Refuel Meals - Guess I'm late to the party on this one. Made me want to throw rocks at my Mountain House.

huntnful

WKR
Some new, some tried and true.

Six Moons Designs Lunar Solo Tent - Best solo tent I've found

Crispi Lapponia Boots - Awesome for early-mid season

15X Swaros

Peak Refuel Meals

KOWA spotting scopes. 15-45x55 and 20-60x77

Kuiu Merino base layers

Stone Glacier down puffy outer layers

Enlightened equipment down quilts

Nightcore Rechargeable Headlight

EXO Packs. 3500 & 4800

Darn tough merino socks

Warrior Fuel "Elevate" & Liquid IV hydration packs

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
When it comes to 2 week remote drop hunts and/or packraft floats, the MVP of my gear list each year has been the same for the past decade...

Attachments

• IMG_3652.jpg
    IMG_3652.jpg
    779.8 KB · Views: 120
Tarptent Stratospire double wall tent- Lightweight and considerably warmer than single wall look-alikes. Was hesitant to spend the extra $ but I'm impressed by it's quality and warmth. Spent the season well rested

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I don't usually make many gear changes so just a few small things this year:

4. Montana Fly Co 6oz Flask - w/ Blantons. A weight penalty I'll take every time from now on.

You dog. I’ve been trying to find a bottle of Blantons up here for 6 months. Same for E.H. Taylor Amaranth Grain of the Gods and Stagg Jr. Batch 12...if anyone has any leads let me know 😂

Firestone

WKR
Ive had them for about 5 years or so, but muley hunting the high country this year we had lots of snow. So my hillsound cypress 6 crampons were a life savor. They are not horribly aggresive and easy to take on and off. Sliding down avalanche shoots on your ass is no fun.CY6Rear_1024x1024.jpgCY6WhiteNew_1024x1024.jpg

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
You dog. I’ve been trying to find a bottle of Blantons up here for 6 months. Same for E.H. Taylor Amaranth Grain of the Gods and Stagg Jr. Batch 12...if anyone has any leads let me know 😂
It's pretty hard to find here in Arkansas now too as we're on a pretty small allotment. I'm usually able to find it in MO when I pass through headed up to KC for work. Next time I go I'll check for you....I got your address.