Favorite Backcountry Gear for 2020?

hunterjmj

WKR
Benchmade altitude (replaced my havalon) and Nightforce SHV 3-10 scope were nice additions. 2nd year I’ve used the inreach mini and it’s been a great (and much lighter) replacement for the older Delorme unit I carried for years.
InReach is on my list for this year. How much is the monthly subscription?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
This it’s been:
- Peak Refuel dinners and bfast s
- MSR pocket rocket deluxe + ti mugpot
- SG sky air ult shelter system

UtahJimmy

WKR
Upgraded cook system to Soto windmaster with Toaks Ti cup from JetBoil - lighter, smaller, just as quick to boil

Ironwill K1 - didn't even use my Gerber vital this year, I'll stop carrying it next year and only use the K1

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I cut a nemo switchback sleeping pad down to size for sitting. was glassing in the snow in 9 degrees and my butt never got cold.

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
--DIY dehydrated meals- it was awesome eating home-cooked food in the backcountry for a fraction of the cost and even better taste

--Seek Outside Redcliff Ultralight- made for a great camp for elk season (4 guys) and deer season (3 guys).

--Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44--Coming from a Vortex Diamondback, this has been a huge upgrade for me and my first 'high end' scope. Super clear and crisp picture, accurate dialing thus far.

--GSI Microlite 720 bottle-- 24oz capacity, double vacuum walls, only 10.4 oz. For keeping coffee warm on a long day deer hunting, it was excellent.

Mitten32

WKR
DIY dehydrated meals
Big agnes q core slx wide (recommend for side sleepers)
sitka apex pants
marsupial fully enclosed bino harness

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
In no particular order. I am a gear ho and it’s hard for one thing to stick out but these have really impressed me:

1) Kuiu Kutana pants - just wow. Light, durable, ventilated. Love the pocket layout too.

2) 3.6-18x44 Mark 5HD. A scopes job is to steer bullets and this one does so in style. Never been more confident in a rifle now that I have this optic.

3) Outdoorsmans Pistol Grip/Panner on a Slik CF633. Revolutionized how I glass coming from nothing and a KDC setup. The KDC setup is slick as heck but this is just next level.

0. CULO CLEAN BIDET. Holy moly this changed it all for me. So much better than tp.

1. DIY dehydrated meals. Truly made life in the woods better. Hell there were days I got 3 square hot meals and that doesn’t even happen at home.

2. DCF Cimarron - the weight, the room for activities, putting my pants on (mostly) standing up.

3. Sony RX100 -blows the phone camera away and is small enough I’ll take it and use it

4. Nightforce scopes - confidence and peace of mind is priceless

5. Schnees Timberlines

6. SG Chilkoot

7. MSR ceramic solo pot - goes perfect with those DIY meals. Make a reflectix cozie. The nonstick is money

Kuiu Kutana pants. All the goodness of the Attacks in a lighter, faster-drying format. Definitely my new go-to pant in mild to warmer conditions.

Garmin Inreach Mini. Used the heck out of it on an elk hunt with buddies. There were 4 of us sharing a camp but we split up into 3 groups to hunt. Was nice getting updates throughout the day. As soon as we'd get a bull down, we'd send out a message for help!

Blackovis Merino gloves. I'm sort of a good junkie, always on a quest for the 'ultimate' light-weight glove. For the price point, this is as close as I've found! Way more durable than other merino gloves I've used and warmer too (given the weight). Of course I lost one glove and BlackOvis has been out of stock since late September!

rm06

WKR
I'm old news here but...

Sitka Mountain Pant. Everything about these from fit to pocket placement is about perfect for me.

Outdoor Vitals pillow. I didn’t use it as a pillow but a seat pad. It was amazing and held up to my 265# buddy sitting on rocks.
My Pillow Roll and Go. It was an awesome addition to my sleep system.
Milkweed. By far superior to powder wind indicators.

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
NF SHV 3-10x42 (after shooting out to 660 with the CDS and discovered it didn't RTZ)
Lite Outdoors Ti Stove - awesome!
Fenix hl60r - way brighter and easier controls than the Black Diamond, also heavier
Kuiu Kenai toque - really really warm, although compared to other toques (that are less warm) it muffles your hearing somewhat.

NDGuy

WKR
I for one got a lot of use out of my FL Sawbuck pants, very impressed with them after one season and well worth the $.

I am still anxious to see if they hold up over a few seasons but they were my favorite piece of clothing this year for sure!

Kifaru gun bearer, SO titanium stove, SLC 10x42 and Fieldcraft in .270.
Of all the gear I have used I think the gun bearer is the most functional piece of gear I own. It just does what it is designed to do and does it better than anything else.

ZDR

WKR
in no particular order, my favorites from 2020 are:
Swaro 10x30 CL companions...clear, bright and light.
KUIU merino beanie and gloves...warmer than they should be for the weight.
Sitka Mountain vest...just a handy super packable layer for windy conditions.
Rick Young bino harness...another piece gear that performs above its class