Favorite Backcountry Gear for 2020?

Rick M.

WKR
I’ve done it both ways. Dry with tp or just pull up and let it all dry out natural. I wear synthetic underwear (ex officio) that handles the moisture fine. It’s not as much water as you’d think and I too have an ample undercoat. I use a Smart Water bottle or a Platypus bladder to expel the water. The trick is when you pull your pants down only go to the knees. Makes the geometry work so you don’t get stuff wet. It really has made a ton of difference

Awesome. I'm 100% giving this a try. Thanks for the feedback.

Carr5vols

WKR
Gummy Bears
Kenetrek Gaiters
Half a thermarest pad for glassing on snow
Hanwag Alaska
Condor Grid Fleece
EB pants
AGC Bino Harness
Emma Kites UHMWPE rope
BD Spot Headlamp
Ragwool Gloves

No order...

Carr5vols

WKR
Gummy Bears
Kenetrek Gaiters
Half a thermarest pad for glassing on snow
Hanwag Alaska
Condor Grid Fleece
EB pants
AGC Bino Harness
Emma Kites UHMWPE rope
BD Spot Headlamp
Ragwool Gloves

No order...
Forgot Insulated Static V Luxe that thing is a little heavy, but so wide and sleep so good on it.

twall13

WKR
Notable additions for me this year were:

Marsupial Enclosed harness, more comfortable, quiet, and tighter fitting to the chest than the AGC I've used for years.

Phonecam universal adapter. So much faster to get setup and focused than my old Novagrade and it's lighter too.

Really Right Stuff BPC-16 ballhead. Super lightweight and compact and I actually prefer using it to my old Sirui ballhead with binoculars or my small Kowa spotter.

Voormi River Run Hoodie. Lightest weight merino blend hoodie I've found that doesn't disintegrate if you look at some brush wrong. It's far from bulletproof but for the weight of the fabric I'm surprised how well it's held up. It's great for sun protection when it's hot outside. If you can find it in stock they offer it in 2 camo patterns.

I just picked up a quilt from Loco Libre Gear that I'm pretty excited about but I don't have enough time with it to give a full report yet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Elk_eatr

FNG
Hands down my feathered friends swift. The warmth to weight, loft, width and roominess without it being a tall is amazing. I also have a feeling my SO silvertip with medium stove I just received is going to be a favorite of mine to wrap up 2020

I forgot my sea to summit pad. 4 inches of comfort and a reasonable weight. I haven’t used another pad since I bought this guy.

NDGuy

WKR
Phonecam universal adapter. So much faster to get setup and focused than my old Novagrade and it's lighter too.
I debated on a lot of brands but super glad I went with Phonecam (Tines Up?) The universal adapter worked great this year!

eamyrick

WKR
SEEK outside Eolus Tent. Spent some time at 10k in Colorado and was surprised how much easier going floorless was. Brought a nest but never used it.

S&S Archery Trecking Poles are super light and going strong. I use them to set up the tent saving weight and not having to deal with poles.

KUIU glassing pad is still one of my favorite pieces of gear. It’s so light you can roll it up in your pocket.

Liberty Mountain Bomber Water bottle pouch. They are $9 and work equally well with Nalgene and 50 oz smart water bottles.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ what are the dimensions of their glassing pad? don't see it on their site- 2 oz is pretty svelte :)

TX_Diver

WKR
Still one of my favorites after another year.

2oz I will always have in my pack if I plan on sitting or glassing.

Trees91

WKR
Kuiu merino hoodie- I live in it for 9 days at a time in Alaska.
Garmin Inreach- finally broke down and got one...it's handy.
Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5cm- maybe the perfect all around rifle.
Sirui va5 and outdoorsman bino set up.
Kuiu zip off merino and down pants.

hunterjmj

WKR
Still one of my favorites after another year.

2oz I will always have in my pack if I plan on sitting or glassing.

I just ordered this last pad last night. I had bought a cheap roll up foam pad from Walmart and cut it down for a seat this year but it was loud pulling it in and out of my pack when it was cold.

I just ordered this last pad last night. I had bought a cheap roll up foam pad from Walmart and cut it down for a seat this year but it was loud pulling it in and out of my pack when it was cold.

I started with the Z-seat, ended with cutting out section of Thermarest closed cell. #FatManProblems #ButtDidntFitThePad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sivart

WKR
Kuiu attack pants
Kuiu peleton 240
Swaro 10.42 ELs
Manzilla glove liners (no longer availble)

These are the only four pieces of gear I own that will never change. Everything else is up for substitution.

hunterjmj

WKR
I posted my list earlier but I forgot to mention I bought a 1L, 2L and a 3L Sea to Summit dry bags to help organize my pack.
1L - knife, electrical tape, rope and batteries, extra headlamp
2L - titanium mug, first aid, xtra knife, emergency bivy, matches, fire starter and fire stick (magnesium)
3L - xtra socks, gloves, extra clothing, puffy and goggles sometimes depending on weather

They are light, keeps my stuff dry and easy to find in my pack. I hate unpacking my whole pack to find one thing cause I couldn't remember where I put it.