Favorite baselayers?

I've been an icebreaker/merino fan for years mainly because it was warm and it doesn't get stinky. Though it doesn't dry out fast. This past year i wore more synthetic in the wet backpack hunts I did and was amazed by the sitka core series. I'm going all in this year with the synthetic route for the reason alone I can dry out.
If I was hunting the interior I would probably wear merino if I wasn't worried about getting rained on.

mcseal2

WKR
I'm another FIrst Lite Aerowool fan next to skin. Past that I'm going more and more to the Kuiu Peloton layers. I wear the heck out of my black 240 hoody for work.

The Aerwool seems to dry pretty quick and having synthetic past it helps dry faster.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Love AeroWool! But I loved it more when they switched from poly to nylon blend. I stink a lot after a few days backpacking with the poly/wool blend. Had almost zero stink with the nylon/wool blend after lots of multiday trips last year. I simply can't use pure synthetic baselayers backpacking, not even the Sitka Polygiene. I guess I'm stinky:)

Last edited:
I'm another FIrst Lite Aerowool fan next to skin. Past that I'm going more and more to the Kuiu Peloton layers. I wear the heck out of my black 240 hoody for work.

The Aerwool seems to dry pretty quick and having synthetic past it helps dry faster.

I wore merino as a base layer with a core ltw hoody last year and it did awesome

NYBackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I've used some FL stuff and liked it, i've been using two chamas for about 4 years now, one hooded one not. I've had my halstead for about the same amount of time. Im gonna try out some different fleece mids this year. Considering trying out some of the new furnace long johns this year as well. All of my hunting is either tree stand or tracking.

Takeem406

WKR
The new Sitka synthetics are pretty great! I used to be a wool guy. But dang the new synthetics don't smell and dry fast. I tried the new lightweight wool from Sitka and it was horrible. Hiked in on a warm day and it was soaked with sweat until the next day!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
the new synthetics don't smell

This is almost completely dependent on body chemistry. Different anti-odor treatments work (or don't...) for different people. The only way to know whether something works for you is to try it out.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The new Sitka synthetics are pretty great! I used to be a wool guy. But dang the new synthetics don't smell and dry fast. I tried the new lightweight wool from Sitka and it was horrible. Hiked in on a warm day and it was soaked with sweat until the next day!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

They certainly stink on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Ovis shirts and underwear have served me well, but the Kuiu zip off merino bottoms take the cake. Easy to shed when it turns from a cold morning to a balmy afternoon.

I just remembered today, that I wear my FL short sleeve Aerowool as a shirt when I go vacationing in the Caribbean. It holds up extremely well in 80-95 degree days! I just think First Lite gets the next-to-skin lightweight base layer completely right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rjb0021

FNG
I love my FL base layers and have had no problems with durability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
I have several of the Kuiu 145 long sleeve Ultra Merino shirts and love them. No issues with durability even approaching 4 years. The 210 zip-off bottoms, however, seem so short that I could never get comfortable wearing them.

I have several of the Kuiu 145 long sleeve Ultra Merino shirts and love them. No issues with durability even approaching 4 years. The 210 zip-off bottoms, however, seem so short that I could never get comfortable wearing them.

How do they do in warm weather? To hot?

bamagun

FNG
Have merino pieces from Sitka, Kuiu, and First Lite. First Lite is the most comfortable in my opinion, especially last years stuff...

The Kuiu zip off bottoms are the best thing EVER!! Being able to shed your base layers without removing your boots is great especially if the ground is damp/wet. I wear the 145 merino ones with attack pants and can hunt comfortably down to about 30 degrees. The new spring catalog shows a 200 merino set coming out this year but when I contacted customer service, they still do not have a release date.

AGdent07

FNG
I really like my smart wool. They make lighter and heavier fabrics which are great for different seasons. Its held up great through many hunting seasons. I have some sitka and first lite base layers. Still prefer the smart wool