Favorite baselayers?

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
Just in the market for some more baselayers! Not sure what's hot on the market now, just looking for some different opinions and options. I've used first lite's chama hoodie and thought it was awesome, I just had issues with durability as far as getting holes really easy.. and I'm not opposed to first lite I should mention. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TBHasler

WKR
I prefer Black Ovis' Merino line. Underwear/pants/tops & hoodies are all good. VERY affordable especially if you wait & watch for them to come up on Camofire (like they did yesterday).
Long term durability is pretty good, but they're cheap enough to replace every year or 2 anyways.

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I really like First Lite Aerowool. I think the added synthetic material helps with the durability issues that people have with the pure merino. It also holds its “shape” a lot better, if that makes sense. My Chama hoody is all stretched out and baggy fitting now.

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer Black Ovis' Merino line. Underwear/pants/tops & hoodies are all good. VERY affordable especially if you wait & watch for them to come up on Camofire (like they did yesterday).
Long term durability is pretty good, but they're cheap enough to replace every year or 2 anyways.

Agreed.i went this route last year and was very impressed. Elk hunted from September through mid October and stayed comfortable

cm12

FNG
Stick with First Lite. I think they addressed the durability/holding shape issues with the newer stuff. Base layers are where they cut their teeth and continue to lead in that category(IMO).

OP
R

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
I'll probably end up getting a couple different pieces of clothing this year. If the kiln has better durability than chama I'll be happy. Thanks everyone.

learl

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Black Ovis 200wt 1/4 zip top that I got from Camofire and it's not my favorite, value is good but for me it's not the most comfortable next to skin layer. I also have a First Lite llano SS and a Kuiu 125 LS. The First Lite wool feels nice but is a little heavy while the Kuiu is maybe a little rougher feeling but the weight is perfect for me. You might also look at Midway, I have their 150wt merino bottoms and they are incredibly soft.

I own some older first lite and other merino. I still use it but I am a sweater and prefer synthetic. My favorite bottoms are kuiu zip off peletons and I wear a lot of Sitka core lightweight tops next to skin. I own a few heavier base layers but I find I get more flexibility out of lighter garments and use other layers for warmth.

For late season and long stand sits I break out the expedition weight stuff.

I don't understand the manufacture of camo base layers. I go icebreaker merino in a light and heavy weight depending on season. Just my opinion but merino is way better for smell over a hunt. Not for animals but yourself and tent mate.

jolemons

WKR
I don't understand the manufacture of camo base layers. I go icebreaker merino in a light and heavy weight depending on season. Just my opinion but merino is way better for smell over a hunt. Not for animals but yourself and tent mate.
Camo baselayers are for when they're worn as the only layer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

For the First Lite guys, when it comes to midlayer, do you prefer something like the Chama/Kiln or Halstead/Klamath? I’m torn on them as I’m trying to pick only one, for now. I also, kind of like the feature-rich Sitka Fanatic Hoody. Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

COSTCO Paradox , top is a zip-neck long-sleeve poly-Merino blend tee and bottoms are the same stuff. Wear 5X longer and cost 1/5 as much as the Merino I had. They dry out much faster than straight Merino when you sweat profusely on a climb, and hence are a lot more comfortable for me as a lot of my time is spent going up hill on back pack hunts, followed by sitting around glassing when sweaty. I can wear the Paradox clothes for about a week without feeling too grubby.

MillCreekMike

Lil-Rokslider
For the First Lite guys, when it comes to midlayer, do you prefer something like the Chama/Kiln or Halstead/Klamath? I’m torn on them as I’m trying to pick only one, for now. I also, kind of like the feature-rich Sitka Fanatic Hoody. Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I also would go Klamath, I have both and use the Klamath a lot more than the Kiln.

I've only used Icebreaker the last few years since It can be picked up on sale quite often and seems to be the most durable. With that said I have a hard time getting a season out of any brand long underwear (pants) without wearing through the crotch.. adds ventilation at least.