Favorite/best headlamp?

Zappaman

WKR
In Sept I broke the charger tab on my Sofirn. My fault, not theirs. I plugged the cord in upside down and bent the edge of the tab. I just got a new one last week. Couple changes, the charger cord is type C, not micro usb. Also the on/off push button lights up different colors for a few seconds that indicate battery charge level.
They changed over to 99% USB-C about this time last year. Now I have a drawer full of micro-USB cords to add to my VGA and printer cord box started about 1996(?)

And to all:
I am glad that after 18 months so many folks have enjoyed the Sofirn lights mentioned here. There are many great brands out there and we learned about many through this post.

For the Sofirns I sold, traded, or gifted THIS year (about 75 more since mid-last year):
I had one headlamp return from a plumber. It was missing most of it's finish, the front lens was cracked, the headband was in knots and the only failure was the switch wasn't cycling- it was only coming on at medium output. He admitted he used it daily for over a year and he wanted to buy THREE more. So I decided to warranty the old one (which also had the origional battery testing fine). A week later he send another tradesman to me for a 10 unit order!

Happy customers buying well made and durable products is what it's all about! Happy hunting to all ;)

Last edited:

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
Any suggestions for a headlamp that will perform in cool to cold temps? My ice fishing trips range from 20 above to 15 belowF. I usually try not to go out much colder than that because it usuall takes an hour or so trail ride to where I fish. People that play in the really cold use highend headlamps with remote battery packs. I don't really want to pay that much for a headlamp. Right now I use a black diamond and it's pretty weak and not rechargeable and batteries don't last. I also carry spare lights and batteries. I haven't used the lights with the 18650 batts or any of the newer rechargeables. What lights have done well for others in the cooler temps? How do the sofirn lights do? Thanks for any suggestions.

Zappaman

WKR
In my actual use, several Sofirn headlamps have been run down to around zero and pulled out of packs and other COLD storage locations (i.e. truck glove box, backpack, etc.) and they worked without issue I can remember. But when on the colder trails out to the goose hunts, I usually store the light in a good jacket pocket Vs. my pack to help keep it warmer for the same reasons you allude to here- the colder it gets, the more batteries are stressed.

I have used 18650 (and other lithium) battery packs in my heated vests and socks (*once down to -23 when goose hunting for about 1.5 hours). The battery packs were stowed in the socks and vest (so within one thin layer of being against my body). They ran on "low power" fine while the sock battery packs were especially exposed to the wind chill that day (not one goose flew over- it was the coldest day I've ever hunted in).

Sorry, I can't give you a definitive answer, but I'd guess the "higher-end lights" you mention are designed to keep the (same lithium battery tech these all use) against the body. And if out in the cold (minus zero) I pull a headlamp out of my jacket pocket (where it has some residual heat)... I am strapping to my warm forehead and turning it on and so temp isn't an issue at that point-- when it's running (heating the entire light chassis including the battery stored inside).

Sorry not saying much after all that, but at 0 to -20 degrees the few times I've used them in that temp range... my heated outer-wear batteries and lights (*stowed properly) have worked for me when I pulled them out and turned them on. I'm sure my Sofirn headlamp has been pulled out of a -5 degree pack a few times also (after killing a Jan doe) and gave me the light to gut the deer, drag it out and load it.

twall13

WKR
18650 batteries in general will do better in the cold, simply because they are a bigger battery. That said, they are still going to lose performance in prolonged use in the cold. In the case you describe, I'd just pack a spare battery and keep it in a pocket where it will stay warm. If the primary battery dies, swap them out and you should be good to go. That's another nice thing about the Sofirns, the batteries are pretty inexpensive. I've found they aren't quite as good as the Orbtronic batteries I own but for the price they are a decent value and I have and use several Sofirns 18650's that came with the lights I've purchased.

For most guys, the amount of time they will actually be using a headlamp (ie. moving while it's dark) a single 18650 battery will get you through just fine. I've done entire 7 day trips on a single 18650. Of course you have to be smart and not use it on the high setting all the time, but you can use the high setting here and there as needed and still have plenty of battery.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. I realize that without going to a remote battery, it will be getting cold. I'd like to try one of the Sofirn headlamps. Any suggestions? I don't use red, I like a simple on off (hopefully to the last brightness setting) and durable! I see the SST40 and D25L style and then the angle ones like the HS40, SP40 and HS41. Not really sure how they all compare is the reason I'm asking for advice. What do you guys think?

carbon

FNG
Anyone here with a Sofirn D25LR / H25LR that gets so hot on the highest white setting that you can’t touch it? Like in 10-15min.

I run quality 18650 button top protected cells. When on the highest red setting it’s warm, but acceptable.

My Fenix HM65R-T is way brighter, doesn’t have a red setting, and never gets warm. Lukewarm, maybe. But it’s $105 vs $20.

I have heard that the Sofirm isn’t thermally regulated, but the heat it puts out makes me worried…battery go boom?

I have an email into Sofirm, but I hadn’t read reports about the extreme heat (a little hot, yeah, but mine is ridiculous).

Does the Peax Duo get hot?