Favorite Bino Harness/Holster to wear while backpack hunting?

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking at dialing in my backpack hunting rig. I’d like to be able to drop the pack at times and make final stalks with a bino harness and maybe a little hydration rig. I’d also like to have my pistol on me both with pack on and without for a stalk.
I currently have an older style kuiu bino harness but I was debating switching up this year. Does anyone run the FHF gear bino harness rigged into the suspension of their pack? How does it work if you want to drop the pack and go for a stalk? Does the FHF integrate with any hydration?
I’m looking for any other opinions/options for carry of binos and pistol while backpacking.
The FHF combined with the chest carry holster seems like a good option
I’m also toying with upgrading to the kuiu pro Bino harness and also using The pro hydration rig. Then I’d probably have to run a waist belt holster.
The pack I’m planning on using is an Exo K3 with the 2” waist belt webbing.

Tell me what you more experienced guys found that works for you.
Thanks

OP
FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I do like sitka stuff...For that particular harness appears like if you tried to run a holster in the webbing loops on the side panel, it might interfere with the backpack shoulder suspension straps...Can this be worn simultaneously with a backpack on???

OP
FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I was considering running the new Kuiu pro harness and hydration rig. Just not sure if I was in bear country if I am running a backpack waist belt holster, then where do I keep my firearm when I drop the pack? I typically won't wear a belt when back packing but perhaps I can find one that allows me to move the waist belt holster over to my pants. Or maybe I just double up and run a chest holster with the bino harness?
Nobody found a system they like?

I have a Hill People Gear heavy recon kit bag which houses my pistol, nav gear, calls and a bunch of other crap and then my binos in the HPG pocket attached to the front. I have access to a lot of equipment fast and easy but keep my pockets empty. I love it. Rangefinder on the sidestrap as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I do like sitka stuff...For that particular harness appears like if you tried to run a holster in the webbing loops on the side panel, it might interfere with the backpack shoulder suspension straps...Can this be worn simultaneously with a backpack on???
The Mountain Optics Harness rides low enough for clearance between a holster and a backpack. The holster sitting on the side of the harness is nice because it allows for easier accessibility compared to a holster at the bottom of a bino harness.

Rock-o

WKR
I don't know how y'all deal with so much bulky shit and weight up front like that, would drive me nuts!
@grizz_bait, where/how do you carry your binoculars? All of my past hunting has been from my side-by-side, truck, or blind. So no need to carry binoculars. Backpack hunting is new to me. And I'm looking for options since, as you noted, carrying on the chest doesn't seem to appealing to me.

@Rock-o I use two different bino harnesses depending on the situation: the Outdoor Vision Ridgetop harness and the Rick Young Ultralight with the neoprene cover. The Rick Young is really sleek and light. I was referring to people with their sidearms/bearspray/rangefinders/etc. all strapped on to their harnesses. To each their own, but I like minimal clutter in general, especially in a bino harness.

Read1t48

WKR
How about an AGC Bino pack with a Kenai Chest Holster by GFI. It might sound bulky but it doesn’t have to be, especially because you can put the holster up high and the AGC rides below.

Rob5589

WKR
I rigged up a holster on my bino harness to see how it felt. It sucked with a loaded Glock 20. I ended up using a Safariland ALS paddle holster. Slips onto the belt of my Exo pack, and is easily removed and put on my pants belt. Worked without a hitch last season.

Flaboy

Lil-Rokslider
For me its one or the other. I dont like having a bunch of weight and bulk on my chest. I run the Kuiu Pro bino harness with rangefinder pouch. If I carry a gun it goes into a Hill People Gear kit bag.

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
The Mountain Optics Harness rides low enough for clearance between a holster and a backpack. The holster sitting on the side of the harness is nice because it allows for easier accessibility compared to a holster at the bottom of a bino harness.
Any chance you could post a pic of how you have this setup? Possibly a pic wearing the harness, pistol and pack to see how it all fits together.

ncavi8tor

WKR
Another vote for the FHF rig. Perfect for archery season! Low profile and stays tight without excessive play.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Any chance you could post a pic of how you have this setup? Possibly a pic wearing the harness, pistol and pack to see how it all fits together.

Sorry for the poor picture quality! The bino harness positions the holster away from your body just far enough to get plenty of clearance between the gun and the straps of your pack.
20200529_191421.jpg20200529_191455.jpg