Favorite Bino Harness/Holster to wear while backpack hunting?

Superdoo

WKR
I went with the knock off hpg set up.
I think it cost me about $60 for everything. I did have a spare agc harness though.

Attachments

• 47F6FB84-24F4-459D-9123-8497E50D7674.jpeg
    47F6FB84-24F4-459D-9123-8497E50D7674.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 186
  • CE4AD429-8E08-4FAC-95FA-E2C237903A94.jpeg
    CE4AD429-8E08-4FAC-95FA-E2C237903A94.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 193
The Mountain Optics Harness rides low enough for clearance between a holster and a backpack. The holster sitting on the side of the harness is nice because it allows for easier accessibility compared to a holster at the bottom of a bino harness.
Would you happen to have any picks of this setup? It sounds great and I'm intrigued

Hi, I am considering this set up or possibly just the original kit bag. Do you have any pictures of how you run it? Thanks

bb8a1dd84b979e63532f44531363498b.jpg

6c413beb88bf44fb7ce0b25e8f54fc9d.jpg

cc458cd6d1408ebb2ea45b1a712df011.jpg

It’s been working great for me thus far. During archery season I usually don’t take the Binos so it’s really slim. Between this and some pockets on my pack waist belt I can basically hunt all day without removing the pack. Contents in the chest rig usually include:

Pistol
Spare mag
Phone for OnX
Diaphragm call outside, spares inside
Reed call inside
Headlamp or hand light
Folding knife
Release
Rangefinder on right strap
Snacks
Sometimes a battery pack if I need to charge on the run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmess

FNG
I’ve tried a bunch of Bino harnesses and have switched to the Marsupial set up with rangefinder pouch attached. I like that the lid stays down and I can just one hand grab my binos out. The Adak is similar lid except they have two of the most useless side angle pockets and no place for a compass or map.
I use an alien paddle holster retro fit to my backpack belt so when I remove pack I can just pull holster and slide it behind my pants belt.

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
bb8a1dd84b979e63532f44531363498b.jpg

6c413beb88bf44fb7ce0b25e8f54fc9d.jpg

cc458cd6d1408ebb2ea45b1a712df011.jpg

It’s been working great for me thus far. During archery season I usually don’t take the Binos so it’s really slim. Between this and some pockets on my pack waist belt I can basically hunt all day without removing the pack. Contents in the chest rig usually include:

Pistol
Spare mag
Phone for OnX
Diaphragm call outside, spares inside
Reed call inside
Headlamp or hand light
Folding knife
Release
Rangefinder on right strap
Snacks
Sometimes a battery pack if I need to charge on the run.

Hey Whiskey Fish, Thanks for your response and pictures! I did go ahead and went and bought the original kit bag. My 10X42s do fit inside the main bag, but I'm wondering if I like your set up with the dedicated bino pouch would be nicer. While the Pals on the outside seems very tactical looking to me, I do see the customization benefits. I'm going to have to think on it. The heavy Recon (yours) is a little skinnier (more streamline) than the original too.

Choices Choices

Thanks again

Bob

Badseed

WKR
Im looking to upgrade my bino harness and was looking at the badlands xr for binos, rangefinder and other small stuff. Any opinions?

Hey Whiskey Fish, Thanks for your response and pictures! I did go ahead and went and bought the original kit bag. My 10X42s do fit inside the main bag, but I'm wondering if I like your set up with the dedicated bino pouch would be nicer. While the Pals on the outside seems very tactical looking to me, I do see the customization benefits. I'm going to have to think on it. The heavy Recon (yours) is a little skinnier (more streamline) than the original too.

Choices Choices

Thanks again

Bob

I actually have been using the bino pouch on my hip belt more than on the kit bag. I like how slim it is without it. My binos will fit in the kit bag but not with a pistol. It gets awkwardly shaped at that point. When wearing kit bag and my MR pack set up with the lifters it doesn’t look tactical at all, since it isn’t really a ladder and just laser cut it blends in pretty well.

The bino pouch is a lot faster and I will be using it during deer hunts when I’m on and off the binos a million times a day.

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
I actually have been using the bino pouch on my hip belt more than on the kit bag. I like how slim it is without it. My binos will fit in the kit bag but not with a pistol. It gets awkwardly shaped at that point. When wearing kit bag and my MR pack set up with the lifters it doesn’t look tactical at all, since it isn’t really a ladder and just laser cut it blends in pretty well.

The bino pouch is a lot faster and I will be using it during deer hunts when I’m on and off the binos a million times a day.

Thanks for the follow up. Still kinda decided and weighing options. I think binos inside the bag would be slow and loud. I kind of want a do-it -all bag. Hunting, fishing, pistol rig... Seems like by having the ladder on the outside it offers a lot of versatility.

Adycbrown

FNG
Anyone have luck with a holster on the new kuiu pro bono harness. I’d like to find a holster that could be rigged up behind the bingo harness.

prm

WKR
I use the FHF connected to my pack. Though I don’t ever leave my pack to go on a stalk so I don’t think that system is ideal for what you want. You could just take the binos and a Rick Young harness for a stalk. I don’t even like the bulk of most Harnesses so I really cringe at setups with all that on your chest. ...and probably a few thousand square inches of unused space in your pack.
If I were day hunting and did not need to plan on hauling meat the integrated harness and hydration pack Kuiu came out with might be pretty nice. Or, the Integrated FHF straps on something like a Kifaru Antero.

Last edited:

Brettboss

FNG
Another vote for the FHF rig. Perfect for archery season! Low profile and stays tight without excessive play.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Looks so bulky and old school...but I do hear everyone talking them up. Definitely looks more supportive than most.

CGW05

FNG
Love my enclosed marsupial but haven’t tried the razco harness with it. Works very comfortable with an exo k3.

CGW05

FNG
Hi, I am considering this set up or possibly just the original kit bag. Do you have any pictures of how you run it? Thanks
I have the heavy recon and like it for winter and gun season but when it’s hot it takes up a lot of real estate and the bino attachment sticks out to far for me during archery season. I do like the amount of stuff I can carry including my pistol but the marsupial is so much more comfortable!

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a blacks Creek guide gear raptor,has pistol holster on the front range finder pocket on the side seen in went with the small version but the full gives a bit more space for larger optics. I'm a big fan so far, unintended benefit is the water bottle/bear spray holster on the bottom works well for my release when I'm hiking. No more front pocket scares. I tether in my 2 cow calls and put them in the utility pocket with my wind checker. Negative, not liking the zipper for binos but will most likely leave it undone or figure out a magnet.
d29ee48fef1ce21ec93b4e6b9b19b084.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
I like the AGC stuff, I’ve started putting the pistol on the pack belt to keep it from interfering with the bino harness.
Just curious if you like this setup? I'm: 1. Short-waisted, 2. A generously endowed female, and 3. Full-up in the front area with bino setup & afore-mentioned endowments. I'm looking at that AGC holster for using with a Mystery Ranch pack, on the waist belt.

I just go back from my archery elk hunt In Colorado. I ran the AGC CUB w/ Max pocket and the Razco holster attached to the bottom for my 10mm. A couple of opionions.

AGC - it’s an amazing bino harness. Allows for lots of modularity with side pocket attachments etc. In the main harness I can carry my binos, rangefinder, diaphragm and reed calls, licenses, snacis, wind checker, lens cloth, chapstick, rain cover etc. it’s very comfortable to wear. For rifle hunting it’s perfect. Honestly the only negative I can say about it is for archery hunting I find the cordura fabric and plastic buckles are too noisy. It’s not a very stealthy pack. Definitely in the market for a quieter pack for Archery hunts.

Razco holster. It’s a great design. Attaches easily to the AGC pack and angles the weapon at an angle so it’s easy to grab and remove in a hurry. The negatives: it rides low that the back of it sits on top of your backpack buckle. This creates ALOT of noise while hiking or during any sort of movement while sitting. Also while sitting it sits so low that it can occasionally be uncomfortable digging into your groining/mid-abdomen and it also rubs on my belt buckle making noise. I am 5’10” and 150lbs so I am a slim person. A felt or rubberized backing would eliminate these issues I believe. Maybe something Razco could adapt going forward. If not, I am sure I can rig something up. The only other negative is that the retention buckles that mount on the AGC straps do not stay static. They slide forward making the holster less tight on me. It’s a hassle to keep retightening (and yes they are installed correctly per their video instructions).

Norm555

WKR
I love my marsupial gear Bino harness. I really like the fold down lid and the fact that it’s made in the USA

huntem

FNG

Great read

I currently have the FHF harness with the accessory pocket and I have the full KUIU Pro harness with pocket and hydration pack which is the same profile as the 500 stalker.

Depending on the main pack you run, I could see where the comfort of the FHF would be noticed under it but I think you are cutting hairs. The wind indicator bottles were not available to FHF from their supplier due to Covid. FYI
The accessory pocket is solid with the MOLLE attachments. I wish it was slightly taller with the zipper held on the upper half to create more of a "pocket". But serves it's purpose for calls, extra ammo, and fire starter, etc...

The KUIU system isn't as streamline off the chest as the FHF but not an issue. The fold down caption lid is nice for one handed operation. I'd like to cuff the designer up side the head for the bullshit "zippered pocket" on the front panel. I can barely get my finger in it without the binos in the harness. A second slap would be for the velcro attachment system. The accessory pocket is well designed but I have serious issue with the H&L noise.

My 2 cents

Last edited:

FromEm

FNG
This is an old thread, but I'm thinking about switching my old FHF harness for the Badlands XR for the integrated bino and rangefinder build. I think I would like this over the separate range finder pouch. Second choice is Marsupial with range finder pouch, which is a very popular combo and I'm sure I would like it. Definitely looking for a forward opening flap to replace my FHF.

JCohHTX

FNG
what about adding the marsupial holster to a marsupial pouch? anybody use that combo? I have and like the marsupial enclosed medium bino pouch. Thinking of adding their holster to the bottom.