Favorite bipod shooting sticks?

rclouse79

WKR
I have the short harris bipod that swivels with a locking lever, and incremental adjustments on each leg. It is awesome if you have the time and clearance to get set up prone. I used to carry the trigger stick monopod for quick short shots. I ended up buying the trigger stick bipod. You can’t shoot standing with it, but it is super quick and stable enough for medium range shots sitting or kneeling.

Sheepdog

FNG
I use an atlas and have extensions when I can use them. Mostly use shooting sticks that I believe Caldwell now makes. They are rubber tops with three sections bungeed together. They are light, easy to set up, solid to shoot off, and can easily moved when an animal takes a different infill then anticipated. I only like tripods for shooting at night, prairie dogs or big game as there is plenty of time to adjust and make right or zero need to move the base to shoot.

a pair of ski/trekking poles are also hard to beat, especially in the mountains or with deep snow cover. I’d have another wolf if I’d just used my ski poles and not went prone with my bipod- bipod broke through the deep crust at the shoot and was not as stable as I thought. Sent one into who knows where instead of the wolf at 300 yards. A hard lesson to swallow!

Last edited:

joker338

FNG
I believe in less is more in terms of shooting sticks. I've tried the big tripod setups, but my favorite are SnyperStyx which are no longer made. That being said, if you read up on varmint Al's website he has what he calls his Bi-Fur pod or something of the like that will be what I make once mine break or get lost. No adjusting shaft locks and sliding legs around, just spread the legs more or less as to what is needed and you're good. Simple, effective, light and easy to pack.

I’ve made sticks and bought all sorts of them and my go-to for predator hunting is a cheap BogPod bipod with some camo form tape over the foam sections and a quick spray paint camo on the rest. This IS the predator hunting section, right? Since it is, I’m assuming you’re asking for predator hunting and not for shooting elk at 600yds - I use a different setup for long range shooting. I have plenty of time before I start calling to set the height for that location. I can adjust height in the fly by pushing forward (this increases height) or leaning back a bit, which lowers height. BogPod offers a very light weight option and they have spikes for feet available, if that’s your preference. I like the portability. Any gun will rest easy in the yoke.

I shoot seated when I’m calling and I actually rarely need to adjust the height of my BogPod once I have it setup. I do like the Harris bipod type setup but I don’t like the weight or the bulk on my rifle. I just don’t need it - the BogPod does everything I need lighter and quieter. This is for me. You may well be different. You’ll have to try out different methods to see what works for you and your conditions. If you’re shooting coyotes at 300yds+ you may want a fixed bipod like the Harris. I don’t get long shots like that often here in S Texas. Honestly, I prefer calling animals within 150yds anyway, even in wide open country; but that’s a personal preference. I’d start with something like a BogPod just because it’s relatively cheap and perfectly good for MOST predator calling, imo. If you find you need more... then try a different, pricier option. Hope this helps some!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
I use an atlas and have extensions when I can use them. Mostly use shooting sticks that I believe Caldwell now makes. They are rubber tops with three sections bungeed together.
Yeah... that's it... that's the Cabelas Kwik Stix. $19.99.

Ralphie

WKR
I’m still using a set of shooting sticks I made from cross country ski poles 20 some years ago. Really like the simplicity and the ease of adjusting to get on target.
Mostly Im calling sitting on the ground.

I do have a set like the kwik stiks that mostly carry while big game hunting.