Favorite Bourbon Opinions

Sevens

WKR
These are my preferences for bottles that are easily obtainable in my area.

Under $15 - Evan Williams White Label BiB
Under $30 - Old Grand Dad 114, Eagle Rare or Elijah Craig Small Batch
Any Price - Michter’s American or Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel (store pick or otherwise). Give the RR a couple weeks after opening for the flavor to blossom. It is my favorite bourbon so far, each bottle unique and delicious.

There are other bourbons I like (Weller 12, Blanton's, etc.) but I hate how mythical some of these dang bottles are. Some I’m okay opening (Blanton’s) and others I’m too dang scared too. I was lucky enough this year to get a bottle of Pappy 15 at retail. I decided to try some at a local whiskey bar before cracking into my bottle, just in case. Was it good, yes, was it the drink of the gods, not to me. Hate to be one of “those” guys, but I’ll probably flip it to someone who wants that unicorn more than me.

Rob5589

WKR
Lower priced: George Dickel, Makers 46
Higher priced: Rowans Creek, Basil Hayden, EH Taylor, Willet Single barrel, Angels Envy, Michters

Ratbeetle

WKR
I recently sold an Elmer, a george t stagg and a Thomas Handy for 1300 combined... Realized there's too many great 50 dollar bottles otu ther to hold that much cash in line.

Nice. If I could get half that for my elmer, 12yr and 107, I'd sell them right now.

bbrown

WKR
Why no mention of Tin Cup? It’s been my go to for around $30.

Otherwise Buffalo trace, Woodford, Eagle Rare or Fireside are solid contenders at that $30-40 range.

Clients have left me a couple of bottles of Crown XR and Basil Hayden and they are damn good but too rich for my liver.

Surprised for the praise of the 1792 and Elijah Craig - like drinking jet fuel. Brutal

bobr1

WKR
Plus one on Eagle rare, hard to beat a 10 year aged bourbon for that price.

Last edited:
OP
ShortMountain91
Had eagle rare and don't remember being that wowed by it. With all the fans I'm gonna have to pick up a bottle and give it another try. Since a couple have mentioned pappy, about a year ago 2 of my buddies were out at a bar where one of the guys dad who is very wealthy got drunk and ordered them both a shot of pappy 23 year. It was $500 for the 2 shots. My buddy told me he prefers Blanton's. I'd like to try pappy but someone else would have to be paying

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1. Old Charter
2. Old Charter
3. Old Charter

If they don't have Old Charter (above Mason/Dixon line), Basil will do!

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Eagle Rare, Angels Envy, Four Roses Single Barrel, Green Dot and on the low end of things: Flatboat

It covers the ginger bourbons, the brown sugar bourbons and the Irish!

Grundy53

WKR
Had eagle rare and don't remember being that wowed by it. With all the fans I'm gonna have to pick up a bottle and give it another try. Since a couple have mentioned pappy, about a year ago 2 of my buddies were out at a bar where one of the guys dad who is very wealthy got drunk and ordered them both a shot of pappy 23 year. It was $500 for the 2 shots. My buddy told me he prefers Blanton's. I'd like to try pappy but someone else would have to be paying

I split a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 15. I don't know if Blanton's was better but I don't think Pappy was better either. So I'll stick with Blanton's for special occasions.

carter33

WKR
Basil Hayden’s and Elijah Craig are both great. Costco has the basils for about ~$34. Throw Scotch into it and oban is hard to beat but more than the bourbons price wise.

I did manage to get my hands on a bottle of 12 pappys and it was awesome but not entirely convinced it is worth the hype.

jfs82

WKR
Pappy has become a status symbol, I used to buy myself one bottle a year as a treat when I was young and poor. And you could find it sitting on the shelf dusty (there were even times you could group buy a barrel of it at extremely cheap prices because the Van WInkles couldnt sell it). Then it got notoriety from a few professional chefs on tv/twitter and that was it. It's very good, but like a 7500 dollar rifle, your'e getting small upgrades outside of name notoriety. I'd still buy it if I could find it, but the secondary markup makes it impossible, haven't found a single BTAC bottle ina few years either and I don't have the energy or desire anymore to try to track them down.

My favorites are Blanton's and Basil Hayden's. I like Bulleit if I want to spend a little less. I'm going to have to try some of the others listed here.

I’m with Grundy on this one bullet make a good Old Fashion

Rob5589

WKR
I was wondering when somebody was going to mention Angels Envy. Damn nice bourbon right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is quite lovely. Finished in port wine barrels brings out the vanilla and really smooths the finish. When someone asks about a fine bourbon to start on, Angels Envy is always my answer.

For the cheaper stuff I like Wild Turkey, Basil, Buffalo Trace

On the high end I like Weller 12 and right now Jefferson's Ocean are my favorites...

Pappy is way over rated..... Its fine if you pay retail, not secondary market price

Attachments

• whiskey.jpg
    whiskey.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 74