Favorite Caliber (s)

k80Titus

FNG
You have shot a lot, tested many, come to firm conclusions and are thinning out your gun herd to two only because your better half said so.
When it is all said and done what two rifles would you build? What two calibers would you choose? Is there one that you feel does both well?

CXP2 class game are generally light framed animals with relatively thin skin and light muscles and bones. These are primarily deer, antelope, sheep, goats and black bear. They typically range from about 51 pounds to perhaps 300 pounds.

CXP3 class game are large framed, heavy animals with tough skin, heavy muscle tissue and large bones. Would guess that these animals range from 301 to over 1000 pounds, and would be represented by such game as alg, elk, moose, zebra, kudu, eland, and brown bear.

Last edited:
OP
K

k80Titus

FNG
I'd get rid of the "better half" who thinks it's her job to place an arbitrary number on the number of rifles I can keep. If I decided for some reason to have only two rifles, it would be a 7mm-08 and a .338WM or a .375 H&H depending on recoil tolerance.
That is funny. This is me trying to self impose some discipline on my proven ocd. She is lovely and has put up with my cigars, knives, books, boots, jacket and shotgun collecting.

pk_

WKR
I don’t have a 270 but I think I would choose that caliber if I had to only have 1 rifle to do anything/everything.

picking out of the calibers/guns I have, I would keep a 30-06 and certainly would keep my grandfathers old .32 wspl. I don’t think there is a game animal in N America that would want to be on the business end of either of those calibers at their proper ranges.

I would also start hand loading so that I could dial those guns into what I prefer for different circumstances. The misses would be upset when she realized that the little space cleared out by getting rid of some guns is quickly replaced and them some by a reloading bench. Thems the breaks Tutts.

robtattoo

WKR
.358 win & 6.5x55
For 99% of my hunting, i'll grab one or the other of these two.

It's a tough choice between the .358 & .30-06 & honestly comes down to the rifle. If I had one of each built identical to my .358 Rem 700, i'd probably go '06.