Favorite Caliber (s)

rope

FNG
6.5 SAUM and 358 WSM, the 6.5 is in hand and 358 in the gunsmith build conversation stage.

prm

WKR
6.5 Creedmoor, 140 VLD, Barrett Fieldcraft

338 Federal, many bullets, but usually 160 TTSX, Kimber 84M

Last edited:

EmperorMA

WKR
I’ve always liked 6.5s, .270s and 7MMs. The .270s have always had my heart but the other two, with all the long, heavy bullets available for them, have my head.

6.5 Creedmoor
7 SAUM

Of course, we’re now seeing some good bullet development in .270 with the introduction of the 6.8 Western, so this might change in the future.

HuntnPack

WKR
You have shot a lot, tested many, come to firm conclusions and are thinning out your gun herd to two only because your better half said so.
When it is all said and done what two rifles would you build? What two calibers would you choose? Is there one that you feel does both well?
I work within a two rifle system but keep
At least 1, 6.5 cal. in the mix. 2nd rifle varies with my needs, anything from .24 cal
to .30 cal. I prefer rifles that I personally can shoot often. The 6.5 is my do all caliber for
my deer, antelope, black bear, & elk hunting requirements. I prefer a mid weight shorter packable rifle. Currently working on a HCA , Carbon bbl, suppressed in 6.5 MAX, & planning for a another Sherman cartridge, maybe another Short barreled Sherman MEGA ?

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
CXP2 class game are generally light framed animals with relatively thin skin and light muscles and bones. These are primarily deer, antelope, sheep, goats and black bear. They typically range from about 51 pounds to perhaps 300 pounds.

CXP3 class game are large framed, heavy animals with tough skin, heavy muscle tissue and large bones. Would guess that these animals range from 301 to over 1000 pounds, and would be represented by such game as alg, elk, moose, zebra, kudu, eland, and brown bear.

7/08

.338 Win mag

rbljack

WKR
If I could only have two...id pick up a 6.5 CM and a 300 Win mag. If I can only have one...I will just keep using my 30-06 for everything. I guess I should also mention that I don't reload, so that plays into the equation for somewhat readily available ammo.

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
I'm glad that you are talking crazy talk but in a crazy world and I was only allowed to keep 2 rifles, I'd be hard pressed to leave out the .22 and my other rifle would be the caliber that I use for everything from coyotes to elk, the .300 Win Mag. (currently I only have 5 different .300 WM's to choose from though)

manitou1

WKR
Favorite caliber is the 7mms, .284. Of those, my favorite cartridges are the .280 Rem and .280ai.