Favorite Custom Action?

cattleman99

Lil-Rokslider
Whats your favorite and why? Im fond of Bighorn actions because of their usability and the east of changing calibers.

Bighorn
Impact
Defiance
BAT
Kelbly
Curtis
Stiller
Terminus
Lone Peak
American Rifle Company
Ultimatum
etc. etc. etc.

rayporter

WKR
lots to choose from out there for sure. the only ones I have owned are bats and kelbly pandas. and they are not for hunting. for ease of changing barrels you certainly cant beat them. just unscrew a barrel using a barrel vice and screw on a new barrel. you can screw it on by hand and shoot but it will shoot loose in a while so you should torque it down.
I have 13 panda barrels and they can go on either of the 2 pandas I have left.

OP
cattleman99

cattleman99

Lil-Rokslider
lots to choose from out there for sure. the only ones I have owned are bats and kelbly pandas. and they are not for hunting. for ease of changing barrels you certainly cant beat them. just unscrew a barrel using a barrel vice and screw on a new barrel. you can screw it on by hand and shoot but it will shoot loose in a while so you should torque it down.
I have 13 panda barrels and they can go on either of the 2 pandas I have left.
There are tons of option out there now that allow that. Bighorn, Impact, Kelbly, etc. all keep their tolerances so tight that the headspace will come the same from action to action. That's the beauty of custom actions. Just screw a barrel on, torque it down, and go.

codym

WKR
Bighorn hands down, can get any cut you want. User swappable bolt faces, shouldered prefits or savage small shank prefits and a completely field serviceable bolt. I’ve moved to all tl3’s SR3’s and origins. Just order a barrel and change in my shop takes 10 minutes.

I don’t have a lot to give experience from. For the Lapua bolt face the kelbly tactical action is an affordable piece. Have my 300 Norma improved on that action and is a pretty nice setup for the cost. Short action an impact is pretty tough to beat. I see a lot of guys run those in the local PRS circuit.

USMC-40

WKR
Had a bunch of the ones in your list, but Defiance has the best ‘feel’ to me. They are lubricated glass smooth.

Citrusdude

Lil-Rokslider
I am partial to the pre-64 Model 70 actions as well, but mine are all original Winchester builds. The only custom I have was built on a Stiller Predator a while back and it is superb.

tdhanses

WKR
LPA.....because it’s the only one I’ve used 😂

I do have a donor Howa action being turned into a semi-custom even though it’ll be the only factory part. We’ll see how that turns out.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Defiance for a magnum bolt face too?

I should have been more clear. Defiance has a long bolt throw like all 700 clones. Curtis has a short 60-degree bolt throw. IF I was building a Lapua bolt face I would go Curtis personally. But for all others, I would go Defiance UL.

WestexSBK

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a long time bighorn user. Owned bat, stiller, surgeon, and defiance. Do not see any reason to change. My only gripe is they don’t offer a lapua bolt head....yet!

If bighorn went out of business or something I would make a complete move to Kelbly actions. They are veryyyy nice.

Joe S.