Favorite deer catridge/rifle.

TN2shot07

WKR
25-06 is on top of the list for me! I currently have 5 and almost picked up a nice model 70 last weekend. I have a 700 cdl that is my favorite - nothing fancy just bedded, a trigger job, and a rail for my bipod but with 100 grain partitions she’s hell on deer.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Rem.700 in .243 I bought at a WalMart when I lived in FL.
Shooting handloaded 100gr. Interlocks or Partitions, it just
works. It doesnt hurt that I have my favorite scope on it: a Leupold Varix 3 1.5x5.

It's a pickem. Montanas in either 257 Roberts or 7-08, with a Ruger RL tanger recently rebarreled by McGowen to 260 Rem closin' in fast.
Grandpa's 30-06 remington 742 woodsmaster has got the job done for everything I'ver ever shot
I dumped a lot of deer with the same rifle for over 40 years, and never experienced the notorious 742 jamb. Same with my dad's. We always kept them spotless clean and ran them dry. But it's a heavy SOB anymore.

Last edited:

jimmy33

WKR
270WSM Browning XBolt Hells Canyon Long Range shooting 130 grain Nosler Etips at 3150 fps…boom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
The 308 is my go to deer gun! It hasn’t let me down yet.
I might carry my dads old model 70 in 243 this year though. After redoing the stock last year and taking it to the range, I know why it was his favorite gun in the safe.

hobbes

WKR
I pretty much shoot everything with a model 700 7mm rem mag, 175 grain bullets. It has an old Bausch & Lomb Elite scope that is too danged heavy, a Timney trigger, and an aftermarket stock. Seems to work well at making them dead.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
Howa Mini .223, its light and accurate.
Where I hunt theres lots of small open spaces in between brush cover so lots of great stalking opportunities.

I started with a .270, then .243 and now .223.... guess the next step will be a bow 😁

Wags

WKR
I've got a few rifles but my go to is my 30.06 Tikka T3. I shoot it very well & it's more than capable of doing anything I could ask of it in the field. I don't need a rifle that can shoot a grand for hunting.

What is y’all’s go to deer slayer? Mine is the 257 Roberts. I have two at the moment. A pre 64 model 70 and a Remington 722. I will be buried with that 722 it’s a tack driving stone cold killer.
7mm-08 without question. Best balanced hunting cartridge out there. I can shoot it all day on the range and it still carries enough energy at the ranges I'm willing to hunt.

Mine is a Savage LW Storm that currently wears a Shaw barrel. With 139 LRX's I'm getting 0.4-0.6 MOA out to 300. That is some great deer medicine.

Acidbraker

Lil-Rokslider
OP, if you had asked what we thought was the "best" deer round, I would be in agreement with the above poster. I think the 7mm-08 is the absolute best all around whitetail cartridge. Good power, good speed, good trajectory, reasonable recoil. Compare it to the ol ought six and its pretty close (in terms of deer). I just dont own one at the moment...its on my list.

I'm probably old fashioned in my thinking, but i consider '06 the "standard" deer round against which i judge all others. The 7mm-08 does everything so well, it's like it was sent down from heaven for smiting cpx2 game.

Edited to add: I also love the Roberts. I got my first buck with one when i was 12 or 13, first legal year i could hunt. It was an old jap conversion sporterized. That buck got me a second place trophy for non-typical in the state of MN. B&C had it at 183 if I remember correctly. Kinda humbling knowing I'll likely never do better than the first deer I ever downed.

OP, if you had asked what we thought was the "best" deer round, I would be in agreement with the above poster. I think the 7mm-08 is the absolute best all around whitetail cartridge. Good power, good speed, good trajectory, reasonable recoil. Compare it to the ol ought six and its pretty close (in terms of deer). I just dont own one at the moment...its on my list.

I'm probably old fashioned in my thinking, but i consider '06 the "standard" deer round against which i judge all others. The 7mm-08 does everything so well, it's like it was sent down from heaven for smiting cpx2 game.
It's the ballistic twin and modern incarnation of the 7x57 which I'm convinced was sent down from heaven in the late 1800's. :D