Favorite Dehydrated Meals

Definitely the best have been ones I make and dehydrate myself. You have total control of what’s going into them, no preservatives and you control the sodium content. For me, I have high blood pressure that I am able to control with diet and exercise. But if I eat a couple Mountain House meals, my blood pressure sky rockets due to the high sodium.
Chili Mac, spicy venison chili, rabbit and chicken Paella, elk stew and quinoa, wild turkey curry and rice.. you can get creative and have real home cooked meals while you are on the mountain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here! No hbp yet, but have the family history, so I’m trying to stay ahead of it.

Do you have any recipes/links for ideas?

Mtn Houses have been my go to over the years with granola/blueberries, chili mac, mac+cheese and pasta primavera some of my favorites. Have started going to Peak Refuels and like the pasta meals the best. One thing that I want to point out that hasn't been mentioned is the water required to make these meals. Most Mtn Houses take around 2 cups of water to make to where the peak meals take a lot less like around 3/4 of a cup of water. If you are spike camping in an area where water is scarce or worse you have to pack it in then you really may want to consider the Peak's for the water conservation part of it. We are hunting some new areas this year and it is a bit of peace of mind to bring Peaks knowing we can spare more water for the nalgenes in case we have to travel far to filter. Hope this helps someone.

Mtn Houses have been my go to over the years with granola/blueberries, chili mac, mac+cheese and pasta primavera some of my favorites. Have started going to Peak Refuels and like the pasta meals the best. One thing that I want to point out that hasn't been mentioned is the water required to make these meals. Most Mtn Houses take around 2 cups of water to make to where the peak meals take a lot less like around 3/4 of a cup of water. If you are spike camping in an area where water is scarce or worse you have to pack it in then you really may want to consider the Peak's for the water conservation part of it. We are hunting some new areas this year and it is a bit of peace of mind to bring Peaks knowing we can spare more water for the nalgenes in case we have to travel far to filter. Hope this helps someone.

I don't think the water savings makes any actual difference unless you are short on water and just don't have enough to make Mountain House. Maybe that is what you meant? Both packs weigh about the same dry, so the actual water content in the meal only matters if you don't normally drink water with your meals. The water goes to the same place whether in a cup or in your food. You get the same hydration whether you eat or drink your water.

The only way you actually "save" water is if you eat Peak and don't drink any water. In that case, you are just consuming less water overall. And you can do the same thing by adjusting the amount you drink to be equal to the additional water used in Mountain House.

OllieOtis

FNG
Heather’s Choice for dinner, with favs being Chicken Mole and The Peanut stew one. Not a big fan of their breakfasts though... got 10 or so assorted flavors if anyone wants them. I think I bought them 2 or 3 years ago.

NDGuy

WKR
Have you tried their breakfasts? What do you think? I want to buy them for a long time, but I hesitate.
Most guys like the biscuits and gravy and breakfast scramble.

I mentioned earlier but the Hawk Vittles line of dehydrated food is really good especially the breakfasts.

Cheaper than MTN house too.

DracoPuy

FNG

I mentioned earlier but the Hawk Vittles line of dehydrated food is really good especially the breakfasts.

Okay, two people here told me about biscuits and gravy, so if I buy something from them, I will definitely buy them and tell my impression.

Wrench

WKR
Scrambled eggs with bacon is my main backup in my pack at all times.....and instant oatmeal of course.

Scrambled eggs with bacon is my main backup in my pack at all times.
I got a chuckle out of that one. The MH eggs and bacon is probably my least favorite meal, and the few that I have, I can’t seem to give them away, no shit. I love eggs and bacon for breakfast, just can’t stand the MH concoction, and I never seem to be able to put enough Tabasco sauce in there to drowned out the taste. But I hear yeah man, everybody’s got their own different tastes.

Hawk Vittles is more expensive, as their packs = 1 serving.

We love their dinners but far prefer MH breakfasts. :)

NDGuy

WKR
Hawk Vittles is more expensive, as their packs = 1 serving.

We love their dinners but far prefer MH breakfasts. :)
1 Serving is more than enough for a person for Vittles. He calls it out on his site as he puts enough food to be an actual man sized serving.

Way I look at it, if I am full what does it matter how much is leftover in the bag (Which I do with MTN H) unless you like eating re-heated/cold freeze dried food haha

I'd much rather pay $6/bag vs Mtn House is $8-10 or Peak which is $12 now unless you find them on sale occasiaonally.

1 Serving is more than enough for a person for Vittles. He calls it out on his site as he puts enough food to be an actual man sized serving.

Way I look at it, if I am full what does it matter how much is leftover in the bag (Which I do with MTN H) unless you like eating re-heated/cold freeze dried food haha

I'd much rather pay $6/bag vs Mtn House is $8-10 or Peak which is $12 now unless you find them on sale occasiaonally.

Mountain House is definitely a lot of food, with two servings per bag. That translates to about the lowest cost in one of the best tasting options. You can devide it up into Ziplocs in whatever size works before the trip. Rehydrate in the Ziploc. Bags are actually approved by Ziplock for holding boiling hot water.

Lots of options.

Last edited:

hlunsford22

FNG
Classified Approved
Just tried both Chicken and Mashed Potatoes and Chicken Teriyaki from MTN House and they are both great. Taste just as good as leftovers the next day at home. Will be taking at least 1 of each on my next trip.

Trailtopia egg scramble is good. You need to cook it in a pan which is a hassle sometimes, but it has really good nutrition. Other than that, normal mountain house, sometimes with butter or protein powder added for nutrition

First try of Mountain House Pad Thai this weekend. Definitely added to the "best" list.

Ate some in the old hunt club bunkhouse after clearing shooting trails.
20210703_210953.jpg

Hawk Vittles is no longer on our list of camp meals. Overly seasoned. Bad flavor. Can't detect veggies. Tiny chunks of rock hard meat. Won't fully rehydrate even after 25 minutes in the cozy. Non-seal packaging means no leftover storage and prone to spills. Short shelf life. Not in the same league as the many excellent dehydrated offerings available today.

NDGuy

WKR
Hawk Vittles is no longer on our list of camp meals. Overly seasoned. Bad flavor. Can't detect veggies. Tiny chunks of rock hard meat. Won't fully rehydrate even after 25 minutes in the cozy. Non-seal packaging means no leftover storage and prone to spills. Short shelf life. Not in the same league as the many excellent dehydrated offerings available today.
Different strokes from different folks, we had the complete opposite experience. We mainly purchased the breakfast line and the stews though.