Favorite Dehydrated Meals

TN731

FNG
Lets hear your favorite dehydrated meals. I have tried a few, but haven't found one that I am crazy about and doubt I will. I am looking to try out some new meals, so give me your favorites.

I’ll second Peak Refuel. I haven’t tried every brand, but I have tried most, and Peak is my clear favorite

NDGuy

WKR
Peak Refuel is solid but I usually stick with Mountain House unless I can find a good sale.

I have wanted to try some other brands like Stowaway, Heather's Choice, Off Grid, or Next Mile but it's getting to the point I can't justify spending $15 on a single serve backpacking freeze dried meal.

Trying Hawk Vittles this year. Heard good things and priced similar to MTN House.

Last edited:

brocksw

WKR
I'll treat myself once in a while to a more expensive meal, but mostly mountain house or some other cheaper/on sale brand. I've yet to have a dehydrated/freeze dried meal I didn't like when I'm sitting in my tent after a long day. Some better than others but they all taste good enough. The protein bars on the other hand....that's been a more challenging game for me.

Stowaway gourmet is the best ive had, use the elk10 code from elkshape if you try them cause they arent cheap but worth it to me. Off grid is good too, especially their breakfast, but stowaway is my favorite

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
I make my own. DIY dehydrated food seems to maintain a lot of more the chew factor than the freeze dried mush that I have tried. It isn't hard, just a bit time consuming, but I feel yields a much better result for less money.

OP
TN731

TN731

FNG
It sounds like Peak Refuel is the clear favorite. Which meal do you like of theirs? How are the rice dishes? Others I've tried in the past with rice, never really tasted that good.

fmyth

WKR
Peak Refuel Sweet Pork and Rice. A bag (2 servings) has 800 cal, 17g of fat, 125g of carbs(43g of added sugar) and 40 grams of protein. My wife and I share a bag when camping hiking. I'm a big eater and don't think I could down a whole bag at one sitting if I tried. You could make 1/2 a bag and put it in a tortilla and have a very nutrient dense filling meal for 1. They are on sale for $9 at Midway.com.

xcutter

WKR
It sounds like Peak Refuel is the clear favorite. Which meal do you like of theirs? How are the rice dishes? Others I've tried in the past with rice, never really tasted that good.
I've liked all of there meals I've tasted except the Sweet Pork and Rice but that's just my taste buds. The Chicken Alfredo is my favorite. The Strawberry Granola is a really tasty breakfast.

Mountain House Chili Mac is still my favorite for chili. Blueberry granola is really good too.

I really feel like yall should at least try the stowaway stuff if you haven't. Its another level of food quality, actual chefs make it in batches here in oregon. They have it at black ovis now too. Ive had tons of mountain house and i cant stomach it anymore. If you look at the ingredients in them they are low quality junk mostly. I havent tried peak but they get great reviews, the ingredients still arent quite clean enough for me but if you dont care about that they're definitely more bang for your buck. I eat healthy day to day so i also try to eat healthy in the mountains otherwise i feel like crap

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
Stowaway gourmet is the best ive had, use the elk10 code from elkshape if you try them cause they arent cheap but worth it to me. Off grid is good too, especially their breakfast, but stowaway is my favorite

Can you verify that code? Not working when I use it. I'd like to give these a try. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
Dehydrated food seems to maintain a lot of more the chew factor than the freeze dried mush that I have tried.
That's why I am going to try Hawk Vittles this year. Dehydrated vs freeze dried and they are priced competitive with MTN House. The dude was a professional chef before moving to this.

I agree with Peak Refuel. They're pretty damn good and are a ton of calories. I'll eat MTN house stroganoff, or biscuits and gravy as my dinner for a month though, easy. Thinking that I'll try the peak stroganoff and sweet pork this spring.

I'm a big eater and don't think I could down a whole bag at one sitting if I tried.
Very true. I got the bison mashers and elk ragu for my hunts last season. Both were very good, but it was rough to get a whole bag of the bison mashers down in one sitting. Turned into a chore almost.

The chicken Alfredo is my favorite of the regularly sold meals but the elk ragu, sold as a special last year, is my all time favorite

Slugz

WKR
Peak Refuel Chicken Pesto Pasta!!!! Its so good I messed with my friends and made it for them for dinner with some good crusty bread...at the house. Didnt let em see me make it. I let em rave about it for a drink or two and them told em the secret. Seriously its that good.

Their Beef Stroganoff you can taste the sour creme in it. Its a strong second. Watch the GonHunt review on Youtube. Its a good review of all.

mlgc20

WKR
Give Packit Gourmet a look. They are definitely my favorite. Specifically, I love their Texas State Fair Chili and the Bigun Burrito. All of their egg dishes are great as well. I love doing scrambled egg tacos for dinner.

BTW, recently tried Backpacker's Pantry. Damn good. As good or better than Mountain House to my taste buds. Not expensive. Carried at Sportsman's.