Favorite dog training collar?

JonS

WKR
What’s the favorite dog collar for a pup. Mostly upland hunting. Getting a Griff tomorrow and don’t think I’ll start until about 6 months old, but would love to learn from others. Don’t want to break the bank, heard good about the Garmin and the Sport Dog. Please recommend your favorite and list some pros and cons.
Many thanks,
Jon

I’ve been running Garmin for about 8 years with no complaints. I just this year replaced the batteries in the collars, they get used every day. No complaints.
I started a little earlier then six months but not much, but just using the beep. Once your‘e sure they know what you want applying a low level of correction solves the problem. Great tool

Buzby

WKR
I love the garmin 550 pro (non gps) for training. I use a Garmin alpha for hunting.

tops911

FNG
For primarily hunting I'm a Garmin Alpha fan. the GPS really helps reassure the handler. Many times I have "lost" the dog when pointing in tall grass or brush. Before the Garmin GPS I used a Dogtra with a beeper that I would use to locate the dog; but as my hearing got worst the Garmin is best. I suppose it's not the "best" for training but it works just fine for me. its really good for training drags/blood tracks as you can carry the hand held while you lay the drag/track then when you send the dog you can see their track in relation to the drag/track you left.

KurtR

WKR
i dont have a pointing dog so i didnt need the gps. I have the garmin sport pro. While i like the controller and its ease of use and the light is really nice when the black dog is out in the dark. I dont like the pressure seems inconsistent. I am looking at the dogtra edge rt or the 1900s arc with the hands free. The guy i am training with has the dogtra 1900 arc and i really like how precise and consistent the control . I am training for hunt test and maybe field trials i dont know if the dog has it in him to run fc but maybe . I would get a program and follow it and join a club which i have learned so much more from guys with experience . This is my third lab and i feel bad i didnt give the other two the proper training as they had the ability i just sucked and thought i knew what i really didnt know

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using a Dogtra 1900s since I started training my lab. I train and hunt her in saltwater marshes (brutal environment for electronics). It's held up extremely well after nearly three years of training and two complete waterfowl seasons in the salt. No complaints at all.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
Using a Sportdog currently. Does what it's supposed to. I primarily used the tone as my pup responds well to it.

kickemall

WKR
Spend the money and get an Alpha. At some point with a Griff your going to want the GPS and you'll have it. The GPS will also prevent you from over doing it with the stimulation for things like when you don't know where your dog went. It works fine for training with tone, vibrate or stimulation. Garmin is the best one out there. Hound guys use them and beat the crap out of them and they keep working. It will be some of the best money you ever spent.

I got a Garmin alpha 100 and couldn't be happier! I wouldn't recommend anything other then a GPS collar. I too have a griff, he's now 3yrs old and wears the GPS collar rather we are duck hunting or upland hunting. I had an incident where a pack of coyotes chased and scared my griff when he was a pup while we were pheasant hunting. Spent 9hrs looking for him! one of the worst days I've ever had hunting. At the time I didn't have a GPS collar or think that I needed one, to be honest I thought the people preaching about then were all just jackasses. I was the jackass in the end!!! Once I got home I ordered the Garmin alpha 100 and it's been the best piece of hunting gear for me and my dog!

tops911

FNG
the other nice thing about the Garmin Alpha is you can add an OnX chip and have maps and land owner info while hunting. I know smart phones work but in Montana we have a lot of places without coverage and I always forget to download maps for the hunt.

What’s the favorite dog collar for a pup. Mostly upland hunting. Getting a Griff tomorrow and don’t think I’ll start until about 6 months old, but would love to learn from others. Don’t want to break the bank, heard good about the Garmin and the Sport Dog. Please recommend your favorite and list some pros and cons.
Many thanks,
Jon
I have run a few different ones - hands down Dogtra is the best. Everybody in my pheasant hunting group runs them now. I have a 1900s going on its 6th year with not even a battery swap.

Antares

WKR
I've been using the DT Systems H2O 1820 PLUS for about 7 years. I have one controller and 3 collars. Very happy overall. I run GSPs.

Wilderness Spirit

Lil-Rokslider
Been using Tritronics/Garmin products for about 20 yrs. now. Currently running the Garmin Pro 550 Plus w/gps.

OP
JonS

JonS

WKR
Thanks for all the info, got some learning to do for sure and if anyone knows or hears of any deals like the garmin that was 399 down from 649 for a day, please shoot me a message. Griff arrives today, fun day ahead I hope

KurtR

WKR
Mine will be a year in a few weeks miss those puppy snuggles some days so enjoy them don’t last long. Pick a program and have a plan and you will end up with a great dog

I’ve been running the Garmin alpha for 6+ years. I have two Gsps and it’s always good having piece of mine where they are at and also having beep, vibrate and different shock options if needed. The new Alpha 200 is pretty impressive, it even comes with built in Garmin inreach on the system which really is nice if you hunt by yourself or in sketchy areas.