Favorite dog training collar?

Fendrick

FNG
I have always had labs -in the water a lot. Years ago I started with Dogtra- don’t remember the model and it worked great through 2 dogs. It was still working great when I gave it to my father when we got a second pup and decided to get a system that could handle multiple dogs. We went with the Garmin Sport Pro set with 2 collars and loved all the functions - especially the light that could be turned on by the controller.

Problem was in the three years that we had them, we had to have a collar (receiver) replaced 4 times under warranty. They would work good until after a day of the dogs being in the water most of the day. It seemed the waterproof collars were not truly waterproof. 3 of the 4 failed collars, were battery issues that after getting wet, they would not hold a charge. We couldn’t get 4-5 hours out of them before they died- not even a full day. When new we only charged every couple days.

The 4th failed while we swimming and my silver started acting unusual. Called him over and noticed right away the collar was activating - light shocks. The controller was sitting on the picnic table on shore. They replaced this one for a $50 fee, but that was the last straw for me. We sold the collars and let the buyer know the issues we have had. He was ok with it knowing we had them replaced by the factory and he had upland dogs.
I have gone back to Dogtra and do miss some of the features of the garmin, but have had no issues these last 2 years.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give my $0.02. Garmin warranty was good, but I had to use it to often, and the last time affected the dog, not just me having dead collars. All of the failures were 6-9 months after receiving the new collars. They seemed to be fine in the water for a while and then they seemed to lose their ability to be waterproof.

I am just an average dog owner that has labs as family pets that go everywhere with us. I actually hunt pheasant with them more than ducks, but have always loved the temperament of labs.

21AB4FD2-00D8-4F8C-8A90-97494CFD98B5.jpeg

OP
JonS

JonS

WKR
Thanks, what do folks think of the older Garmin 320, can find a used one for $300 with one transmitter/garmin 50 collar and the receiver?

Attachments

• A4D5DC43-7FDF-45AF-839B-A91D7C76FE42.jpeg
    A4D5DC43-7FDF-45AF-839B-A91D7C76FE42.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 63F37436-58D3-4380-A4B9-82F2A4A5A76B.jpeg
    63F37436-58D3-4380-A4B9-82F2A4A5A76B.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 11
  • AE123A1D-7249-4A23-8907-53E69B1AC0B1.jpeg
    AE123A1D-7249-4A23-8907-53E69B1AC0B1.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 11

MT257

WKR
This may seem like a dumb question, but what do those that use the beep or vibrate functions for on these collars?

Fendrick

FNG
For my dogs, that is the signal to listen. I hit the page(vibrate) and give the command. I only need to shock anymore when they are really obsessed with something. My dogs get very focused when out in the field and do not alway hear me. The page function gets their attention to listen. It also helps let them know the command is for them when there are multiple dogs in the field.
Edit
I have also seen beeps in the field confuse dogs. If you are with other dogs they all can hear the beep and all try to respond to a command not for them.

Last edited:

CZp-01

FNG
I'm using Sportdog training system. Granted it's only used as an invisible boundary for my yard. It came with a remote and I've used to to help with commands. When my Boxer pup (Jager) is into something he isn't supposed to be a quick vibrate/tone beep sometimes a shock to get his attention.

I paid about $600 with an additional collar.

tops911

FNG
I also believe that when hunting the quieter you are the better, I've stopped using whistle and verbal commands when after any birds. I have moved to vibrate (and nick) to communicate with the dogs. It drives me nuts when someone is yelling or "hacking" at their dog all the time; I kind of like nice and quiet with only gun making noise.

Mosby

WKR
I always buy Garmin. If I bought a different brand it would probably be a Dogtra.

I have been running the Garmin alpha 100 for the last couple of years and love it. I also had a cheap Dogtra that I would use for quick backyard training sessions. It was nice because it was a much smaller remote to deal with. Lost the remote to that out hunting so I have just been running the alpha for hunting and training. I am planning on upgrading to the alpha 200 soon.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425