Favorite down jacket

rywin918

FNG
Hey guys I'm looking for some help on the subject of the right insulation jacket. I live in Michigan but I will be hunting out west from early bow and into late firearm every year if possible and would like to get my use out of it throughout the hunting season out west and at home. I'm thinking down and I'd like your thoughts. Does anyone use the First Lite Uncompahgre or the Sitka Kelvin down hoody?

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
The Kuiu hydrophobic down is top notch in my opinion. Super light weight and packs down in to its own pocket. I keep it in my pack while hiking and pull it out when needed. Really good warmth to weight ration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR
is the super down pro too much for early season when glassing or at camp at night? I was worried the super pro would be too warm.

I use the Ultra during archery and the Pro if the temps get below 20. If I get back to camp and I'm still cold with the ultra on I throw a hard shell over it and all is good.

OP
R

rywin918

FNG
I use the Ultra during archery and the Pro if the temps get below 20. If I get back to camp and I'm still cold with the ultra on I throw a hard shell over it and all is good.
Thank you! the ultra was another one on my top picks.

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
I've had the Uncompahgre for 5 seasons now I think. It's a great all around puffy IMO. Pleanty warm, good durability (for a puffy), and synthetic which I prefer for a do all puffy.

Trade off is it will be heavier and not as warm as the comparable down jackets.

ETA: I also have the Kuiu Superdown Ultra mentioned above. Its awesome, but not a do all puffy IMO. Far to fragile and not warm enough for me in colder weather.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
Just to throw in something different, I have a Simms Primaloft Gold puffy. NOT durable, IMHO it's made to be worn under a shell unless you're sitting glassing or not near tree branches. Exceedingly warm over a fleece hoody and under a goretex shell. Lots of great options for what you're looking for.

rob86jeep

WKR
is the super down pro too much for early season when glassing or at camp at night? I was worried the super pro would be too warm.
I've never been too warm when the weather calls for a puffy (unless your hiking). Even at 60's, I think most people could comfortably sit at camp or glass in a super warm puffy as long as they're not moving around much. And it's easy to unzip a bit and get some ventilation if needed.

Checkout Outdoor Research. They have quality gear and run sales and have a clearance section. I picked up a down jacket for under $100. The earth tone colors usually don't make it to the clearance, my puffy is blue. For the price I can live with that.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
SKRE ptarmigan is a lot of puffy for it's price tag. Treated high quality down with high fill rates can hang with any jacket on the market.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
R

rywin918

FNG
I've had the Uncompahgre for 5 seasons now I think. It's a great all around puffy IMO. Pleanty warm, good durability (for a puffy), and synthetic which I prefer for a do all puffy.

Trade off is it will be heavier and not as warm as the comparable down jackets.

ETA: I also have the Kuiu Superdown Ultra mentioned above. Its awesome, but not a do all puffy IMO. Far to fragile and not warm enough for me in colder weather.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
that's exactly what im looking for is that "all around" jacket. I have noticed the weight issue but all in all I think its a small issue for all the pros and with my gear so far I am a fan of the synthetic stuff.

IdahoElk

WKR
SKRE ptarmigan is a lot of puffy for it's price tag. Treated high quality down with high fill rates can hang with any jacket on the market.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

^ this, I bought my friend a used one here in the classifieds and he loves it. It is just slightly heavier than a Ultra and doesn't pack quite as small but great for the price.

No "hunting brands" make a jacket that's on par with Feathered Friends or Nunatak gear, but they cost double or more.
There are a few key features that make a down jacket:
1. Boxed VS sewn through baffles. Boxed is much warmer, only a couple companies (Nunatak, FF, a couple others) even make them.
2. Insulation. Down fill: 750 and lower is cheap stuff. 800 is OK. Good jackets use 850+. Synthetic: requires more weight and bulk to match down's warmth, but in some conditions it's definitely the way to go. Climashield Apex seems to be the only one worth bothering with. There's some new synthetic down on the market but I don't know much about it.
A. Downtek/water repellent down is a dumb thing not to have these days.
3. Shell material. Water resistance and durability are important.
4. Design. Fit and baffle configuration.
Compare those main categories (in order) and a handful of jackets will stand out in a hurry.
I have an Uncompahgre at the moment. It's worn well, but isn't as warm as when I bought it. Just a polyester shell jacket with polyester insulation, nothing special.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

204guy

WKR
I can't understand the love affair with synthetic around here. Tons of cons, with wet weather performance basically the only plus. The Uncompahgre doesn't even belong in the conversation as a technical puffy. Theres tons of superlite puffies out there that'll work for archery. The list gets considerably smaller and more expensive for a late rifle season puffy.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Dhbwa

WKR
I have and wear a bunch of puffy jackets. For hunting brands the Skre is very good for the price. Sitka Kelvin (WS) is very warm but spendy. If you don’t need tough exterior Eddie Bauer Downlight is good.
IMO - The FL Uncomprahgre is a really good mid level option. I run cold unless moving and “to me” the Un is warmer than most give it credit. Lately a black one has been my everyday jacket and it seems warm the instant you put it on. Almost weird.
One more synthetic that is really good but discontinued is the Browning Tommy Boy.