Favorite down jacket

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I can't understand the love affair with synthetic around here. Tons of cons, with wet weather performance basically the only plus. The Uncompahgre doesn't even belong in the conversation as a technical puffy. Theres tons of superlite puffies out there that'll work for archery. The list gets considerably smaller and more expensive for a late rifle season puffy.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I agree 100%. Maybe it’s because I run cold (CA boy who lives in Scottsdale, AZ now) but synthetics just don’t offer the warmth that down does while also in a bigger and heavier package. What made the decision to switch to down permanently for me was that article posted about how alarming fast synthetic loses its loft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vandy321

WKR
Read some reviews on Arcteryx Atom AR...I goes with me everywhere...

Best multi-use puffy I've ever owned, hands down. Used from cooler nights summer scouting, to glassing in single digits (with a hard shell over for wind).

ChrisAU

WKR
Really really like my Arc'Teryx Cerium LT Hoody. Almost too much, I was afraid to wear it a lot on my last hunt because I didn't want to mess it up lol. I chose it over every FL and Kuiu offering (had them all) and the SG Grumman based on warmth to weight.

Stone Glacier Grumman Down puffy. Its lighter and a hair warmer than the KUIU Superdown Pro.

The superdown pro or the SG Grumman will not keep you warm with temps below 20 degrees if sitting still glassing or in a tree stand for a couple hours. This goes for any down insulation jacket that has 5oz or less of total insulation.

For a jacket to keep you warm in the teens you need a jacket with at least 8oz of fill weight.

GLB

WKR
I just got a Stone Glacier puffy and can say that it is incredibly light weight and very warm. I also like the silver/gray space suit color that they are known for. I have enough clothing that’s brown, green, and or camouflage.

brous8732

FNG
I haven’t tried Kuiu or First Lite down though have ordered plenty of clothes from both that I’ve sent back. Compared to my Arcteryx gear they are definitely inferior and the cost isn’t much different when Arcteryx is on sale. I use my Arcteryx Atom LT hoody for everything active which includes hunting, hiking, skiing, and snowshoeing. For sitting still, I find myself a bit cold in it in temps below freezing. That’s generally when I switch to my Cerium down hoodie. Both pack well. Also, this season I started using the Proton pant under my outer pant as insulation when it’s below freezing and that seems to work well whether I’m moving or sitting still.

Nfactor

FNG
Oddball here but I love my nomad duo down puffy. Just the right amount of everything for me. Helps I got it on sale for under $100.

andydwyer

WKR
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't see much use for a "tough" down jacket -- especially when you consider the extra warmth a hardshell will add to any jacket.

My TNF Summit L3 down jacket is the best down jacket I've tried in terms of warms to weight, athletic cut, and packability. The fabric is thin, but the jacket weighs next to nothing and keeps me comfortable with a base layer down to 0°F for hours. With the right layering a down jacket similar to this will be all you need for low activity. Switch to a synthetic like the Patagonia nano puff or arc'teryx atom lt for higher activity.

My setup for active is merio base, fleece, nano puff (shell if it's cold or I'm slowing). My setup for low activity is the same, but I replace the synthetic with down.

Head over to steepandcheap for killer deals on all kinds of great layers -- especially now with holiday sales

Last edited:

Benjblt

WKR
Read some reviews on Arcteryx Atom AR...I goes with me everywhere...

Best multi-use puffy I've ever owned, hands down. Used from cooler nights summer scouting, to glassing in single digits (with a hard shell over for wind).
Is the face fabric durable?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Vandy321

WKR
Is the face fabric durable?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't go busting a ton of brush in it, but like most arcteryx stuff I have, it is pretty durable should you do so...Its 9+oz of synthetic fill total, decently weather resistant and snag proof, and packs down to about softball size (sz Large). More wind resistant than a standard down puffy, due to the outter material.

Far more durable than the standard Patagonia type down jackets outer material (which snag and pull on everything for me). I have been through brush with it just moving glassing spots, it held up, but I mostly wear it when sitting around/glassing not hiking. Gets pretty hot if you try to hike in it, but sitting with a base/mid/puffy/shell I was good while super windy with temps in the upper single digits. I went with this over the chamberlin as it's almost as warm, yet more suitable, for me, in a wider range of temps.

If you find it at an outlet or on sales you can snag it for just over $200.

Benjblt

WKR
I wouldn't go busting a ton of brush in it, but like most arcteryx stuff I have, it is pretty durable should you do so...Its 9+oz of synthetic fill total, decently weather resistant and snag proof, and packs down to about softball size (sz Large). More wind resistant than a standard down puffy, due to the outter material.

Far more durable than the standard Patagonia type down jackets outer material (which snag and pull on everything for me). I have been through brush with it just moving glassing spots, it held up, but I mostly wear it when sitting around/glassing not hiking. Gets pretty hot if you try to hike in it, but sitting with a base/mid/puffy/shell I was good while super windy with temps in the upper single digits. I went with this over the chamberlin as it's almost as warm, yet more suitable, for me, in a wider range of temps.

If you find it at an outlet or on sales you can snag it for just over $200.
Cool. I looked at this online and always wondered about it. I'll have to check it out.

Yeah I think it’s interesting that so many guys go with hunting manufacturers versus general outdoors companies which often make a superior product. That said, if the Patagonia type brands keep opening their traps with their leftist message, they’ll run me away completely. Already kind of torn.

Trial153

WKR
I have too many puffys
Sitka Kevlin lite
Sitka Kevlin WS
REI Co-op Magma
Patagonia down sweater hoddy
Filson Down Feather weight which is 850 fill

My favorite is the Filson followed by the Kevlin WS. That said my Kevlin lite see the most use

Last edited:

Johnboy

WKR
Are any of these jackets mentioned in this thread quieter than others? I just picked up a FL Chamberlin, and it's as warm as I'd hoped, but it's crinkly to the point that I think it'll be a factor when drawing back my bow on a deer at close range.

Are any of these jackets mentioned in this thread quieter than others? I just picked up a FL Chamberlin, and it's as warm as I'd hoped, but it's crinkly to the point that I think it'll be a factor when drawing back my bow on a deer at close range.
There's no such thing as a quiet puffy. The shell material makes it pretty much impossible. There's a reason why whitetail hunters don't use them. I've worn a quiet layer on the outside, and it helps.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
the kelvin active and couple of higher end non hunting jackets of the same ilk are the closest you will come to quite however while they serve a purpose they don't replace a puffy on lot of hunts

JeremiahH

WKR
I just got my Lykos II in the mail and right now I don't think this deal is beatable. Full synthetic so heavier than my Aquillo jacket but that's a trade off.
I'm going to use it this weekend truck camping and next weekend backpacking/tent late archery.

715be46e624253cc08042ba3d53e650c.jpg
c55b63da4c48b39d5a140a1ec518fe5d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Johnboy

WKR
There's no such thing as a quiet puffy. The shell material makes it pretty much impossible.

I agree. I think the down jackets use more robust shell and liner material to prevent feathers from escaping, and therefore tend to be noisier. My FL Uncompaghre (synthetic) is far less noisy than the Chamberlin (down), and I've worn the Uncompaghre as an insulation layer under the Solitude, which is a nearly silent combination.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree a puffy jacket is noisy but I've shot a couple deer out of my tree stand with my bow wearing the SKRE Ptarmigan. I'm just a lot more careful how I draw.
Wearing a harness sure limits how you can layer. I'll wear my puffy as a outer layer when it really cold the first hour or so then take it off when it warms up. On very few occasions when I think I'll be wearing it all day I'll put the Hardscrabble jacket over it for a quieter outer layer.
968e3016592c86d184c9c543d32c05b0.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk