Favorite down vest

rclouse79

WKR
Check out Sierra Designs. I got one that I think was 800 fill dry down. I like it because it was cheap and is warm enough to get me through fall.

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
I use an Eddie Bauer. The price was right, it’s earth tones and I wear it around town lots more than in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j33

WKR
I have a camo Eddie Bauer Ciruslite vest 650 fill and it’s pretty damn warm, but I have no other vests to compare against. I don’t use it much but only paid $30 new and it weighs 8oz in large.
A lot of feather come out though and it’s a bit loud but a good intro to a down vest to see if you like it.

I'm a vest fanatic, wear them all day, every day, all year round -- but I hate down vests.

Filson Ultralight is my #1 choice right now, it has replaced every other vest in my wardrobe besides my formal vest and my Carhartt for farm work.

Zdub02

WKR
I've got an old redhead puffy second hand from my dad. Back when redhead was made in the US. Couldn't tell you the fill material but it keeps me warm and that's why I love it

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a vest fanatic, wear them all day, every day, all year round -- but I hate down vests.

Filson Ultralight is my #1 choice right now, it has replaced every other vest in my wardrobe besides my formal vest and my Carhartt for farm work.
What's so great about the Filson? Primaloft right?

What's so great about the Filson? Primaloft right?

I am very cold when stationary, and very warm when active, and I've found the Filson vest does well in both scenarios. Has held up well to rain squalls here in the PNW, and cuts the wind pretty good.

I've also found the ripstop nylon fabric is TOUGH, I wear it all the time busting brush and chainsawing and it looks brand new. My one complaint would be that the zipper on my vest doesn't feel particularly stout and I'm sure it'll be the first thing that fails, but that's easy enough to DIY fix.

Compared to:

Kuiu Guide (Filson is significantly warmer and more wind resistant, doesn't shed rain quite as well, moves better, just as tough)

Kuiu Kenai (Filson is warmer when stationary, more wind resistant, much tougher, and breathes better IMO)

Kuiu Superdown Ultra (Filson does everything better than this vest besides compressibility, no contest)

Fjallraven Pak Down Vest (Filson isn't quite as warm when stationary, does everything else better)

Sitka Jetstream (Filson cuts the wind just as well IMO, is warmer, breathes better)

Carhartt Sherpa Lined Vest (Filson cuts the wind WAY better, is WAY warmer, but not as tough. I actually don't get why this vest is so popular, pretty useless besides the duck cotton for logging IMO, it does take a beating)

Filson Western Wool Vest (Ultralight does everything better, doesn't look as classic in the field tho)

Last edited:
OP
MuleyFever

What’s the weight of this vest?

Hondo

WKR
My favorite down vests are from Eddie Bauer and the primary reason is performance to value. My favorites for everyday wear are the discontinued Eddie Bauer Sport Shop vests (1936 Skyliner Waxed Down and Microtherm Stormdown) due to durability but the First Ascent MicroTherm StormDown 800 vest is far more suitable for packing. That being said my go to pack vest is a synthetic fill First Lite Uncle Padre.

OP
MuleyFever
I use an Eddie Bauer. The price was right, it’s earth tones and I wear it around town lots more than in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lost my EB vest, hence this thread. May get another but figured I’d see what everyone likes.

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
Sitka Kelvin is just plain awesome. Wear vests quite a bit and this one rises to the top.

BRoth82

WKR
I have a Core 4 element down vest that is great, too bad they don't make them anymore.

2sticks

FNG

RI guy

I took your advice and purchased a Filson ultralight vest. The vest is fantastic! Thank you

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
I am very cold when stationary, and very warm when active, and I've found the Filson vest does well in both scenarios. Has held up well to rain squalls here in the PNW, and cuts the wind pretty good.

I've also found the ripstop nylon fabric is TOUGH, I wear it all the time busting brush and chainsawing and it looks brand new. My one complaint would be that the zipper on my vest doesn't feel particularly stout and I'm sure it'll be the first thing that fails, but that's easy enough to DIY fix.

Compared to:

Kuiu Guide (Filson is significantly warmer and more wind resistant, doesn't shed rain quite as well, moves better, just as tough)

Kuiu Kenai (Filson is warmer when stationary, more wind resistant, much tougher, and breathes better IMO)

Kuiu Superdown Ultra (Filson does everything better than this vest besides compressibility, no contest)

Fjallraven Pak Down Vest (Filson isn't quite as warm when stationary, does everything else better)

Sitka Jetstream (Filson cuts the wind just as well IMO, is warmer, breathes better)

Carhartt Sherpa Lined Vest (Filson cuts the wind WAY better, is WAY warmer, but not as tough. I actually don't get why this vest is so popular, pretty useless besides the duck cotton for logging IMO, it does take a beating)

Filson Western Wool Vest (Ultralight does everything better, doesn't look as classic in the field tho)
Dang.... That's a great breakdown!
Thanks for taking the time, I might just have to give it a try!

I have the Kuiu down, its decent it all depends how you are using it.

Two yrs ago I ordered a Kuiu guide and peloton and sent them back, I just wasnt very impressed.

This yr I was between the Sitka jetstream the mountain and kuiu axis. Ending up getting the axis and to be honest I'm pretty impressed! Decent warmth, and cuts the wind WAY better than their guide series.