Favorite Electric Fillet Knife?

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Its the time of year that I start keeping fish and find it so much easier to use an electric fillet knife on panfish. The title says it all, what's your favorite electric fillet knife?
Thanks in advance

Rich M

WKR
I haven't used the bubba version but have a Bass pro 112 volt and a Rapala battery powered one.

BPS electric goes pretty quick and looks like the Bubba version. haven't used it on fish yet.

Rapala is slower, cuts thru heavy scales okay. I'm talking 5-10# black drum and red snappers here. I use it to get the initial cuts started so I don;t dull my "real knife". Got it for my dad to clean tilapia he and his buddy sometimes catch. Dad said the skin is real tough so got him this knife. So far, I'm the one who uses it.

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. The more I read reviews the more I think I might cheap out on this purchase, they all seem to have quality issues...I clean less than 100 fish a year. The classic Mister Twister or Black & Decker walmart special seems to fit the bill.

Elknutty

FNG
Thanks guys. The more I read reviews the more I think I might cheap out on this purchase, they all seem to have quality issues...I clean less than 100 fish a year. The classic Mister Twister or Black & Decker walmart special seems to fit the bill.
For what it’s worth, I really like my Rapala lithium ion knife. Quiet and fast!

TSAMP

WKR
Cordless is nice. I have a twister but use the lithium Rapala even at home. Its also nice to take on the boat and fillet right then and there to save cooler space and not have to toss the scraps in ur garbage at home.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
Bubba Lithium cordless.
I've filleted 250-300 fish with mine now and love it. It does take some getting used to; really easy to go through the spine on perch and smaller walleye until you get the hang of it.

Elk97

WKR
Gotta confess, never even heard of an electric fillet knife. Not to derail the OP's question, but I'm having a hard time understanding how an electric knife would be any faster than a razor sharp regular fillet knife. I clean a bunch of fish each year, chinook and coho salmon mostly.

Spike elk

WKR
I also have a Twister that is so the end of its life. Thought about the cordless but the reviews suck so I have not pulled the trigger. If you have a lot of fish to fillet, electric is sure nice.

Superdoo

WKR
Gotta confess, never even heard of an electric fillet knife. Not to derail the OP's question, but I'm having a hard time understanding how an electric knife would be any faster than a razor sharp regular fillet knife. I clean a bunch of fish each year, chinook and coho salmon mostly.
The electric knives are nice when you have 30 plus pan fish.

Pettit877

FNG
I’ve ran rapala saws for 10+ years, its one of those pieces of gear that you have a back up and when one breaks you replace it.

Eric

Rich M

WKR

Don't get anyone wrong - some fish are easy to clean with a fillet knife and others are easier to fillet with an electric knife. A Dexter Russel and a salmon are made for each other.

I like em for the tougher skinned or heavier scaled fish we get around here. Thick dime to quarter-sized scales stack up on the knife and dull it. I'll do the initial cut on the shoulder with the electric knife to spare myself and the Dexter Russel from having to work thru the scales there - then will go down the spine and around the ribs w fillet knife, return to the electric to cut the scales and skin along the stomach part of the fillet.

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
I think it really helps on panfish/crappie, but thats about all I eat being from the midwest.. As Rich M said earlier without question theres a tool for every job.

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
I also have a Twister that is so the end of its life. Thought about the cordless but the reviews suck so I have not pulled the trigger. If you have a lot of fish to fillet, electric is sure nice.
Rumor has it "shark blades" fit in the Twister

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe black bass? I bought a electric fillet knife for that reason, but it still sits on the package. I agree that when you know the proper techniques, you can fillet a pile of fish with a regular fillet knife.

Off the top of my head, I cut about 10-12k pounds of fillets a summer and use two knives and a worksharp.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I prefer a thumb trigger over an index finger trigger. Unfortunately, most seem to be finger triggers.

I have the Twister and been really happy with how it performs. Having the cord on it is unhelpful though and so I asked for the Bubba for christmas so I could fillet my fish from the boat or out in the middle of nowhere. It seems to be very well made and looking forward to using it this spring

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
I have a couple of Rapala Ion battery knives and like them very much. Plenty of power and I haven't run out of juice yet. My son has a Bubba rechargeable and I prefer the Rapala, the RPM's are higher than the Bubba.
wmd

Rich M

WKR
Maybe black bass? I bought a electric fillet knife for that reason, but it still sits on the package. I agree that when you know the proper techniques, you can fillet a pile of fish with a regular fillet knife.

Off the top of my head, I cut about 10-12k pounds of fillets a summer and use two knives and a worksharp.
10,000 to 12,000 pounds of fillets? You are a busy man.