Favorite elk recipes

Hi,
I got a pretty good sized bull and was wondering if any of you would be interested in sharing any of your favorite recipes? I would love to try out some new ways of cooking elk and I am open to all ideas, jerky, stew, or anything you can thing.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
Not really a recipe but one of my favorites is chicken fried elk blackstrap with diced NM green chile and homemade tortillas.

I also like it chicken fried with mashed potatoes and white gravy, but the green chile and homemade tortillas is hard to beat.

When making your breading for the chicken fried, use about half crushed saltine crackers and half flour mixture seasoned. Dip in egg/milk mixture and then into the breading then into hot oil cast iron pan or disk/wok.

I’m getting hungry thinking about it!!

OP
C
Not really a recipe but one of my favorites is chicken fried elk blackstrap with diced NM green chile and homemade tortillas.

I also like it chicken fried with mashed potatoes and white gravy, but the green chile and homemade tortillas is hard to beat.

When making your breading for the chicken fried, use about half crushed saltine crackers and half flour mixture seasoned. Dip in egg/milk mixture and then into the breading then into hot oil cast iron pan or disk/wok.

I’m getting hungry thinking about it!!
That sounds amazing! Nothing better than New Mexican chile. Thank you for the recommendation, I will defiantly try it.

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a big fan of roasts in a crockpot, slowcooked. a good spice rub, some onions, and eat it with good horseradish sauce. Aside from that, anything in a Traeger type smoker is gold. Find a spice rub you think pairs well with the elk taste and pellets that you think mix well and oh yeah

Trr15

WKR
I’m trying this Mississippi pot roast tonight in the Instapot. Using a 3lb elk roast. Looks damn good. I’ll try to remember to update this thread once I know how it turns out.

Found it in Bugle and it is very good. If you in a hurry some canned sauce will work in a pinch.

fishslap

WKR
I just did a braised short rib recipe with a mule deer neck and it was fantastic. I used a combination of the following two recipes (skip the pancetta). I served it with polenta made with a Meateater recipe but polenta recipes can be found anywhere.

I’m trying this Mississippi pot roast tonight in the Instapot. Using a 3lb elk roast. Looks damn good. I’ll try to remember to update this thread once I know how it turns out.

The Mississippi pot roast is an incredible recipe. I’m sure it will be a favorite!

I have made these a few times now. Substitute ground elk for the beef. I add a little more seasoning and extra Parmesan to the meat balls. I use the Hawaiian dinner rolls also. They are delicious!

fishslap

WKR
I’ll add that we steak every cut we can get a decent steak out of and do the following:
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs red wine vinegar
2 tsp Montreal steak seasoning or any rub or seasoning
Adjust as you see fit once you try it.
Put in quart ziplock bag, remove air, leave on counter for a short time while you get the grill and other sides ready. Grill on high heat to medium rare give or take. Let rest under foil for a few minutes before devouring.

Put a bottom or round roast in a crock pot. Throw in a package of Lipton onion soup mix and 2 cups of water. Let it cook overnight. Slice it against the grain about 1/4 inch thick, and put it on some french (Po-boy) bread. Make a gravy from the juice in the crockpot. Mayo, pickle, and some lettuce and tomato and you will be set.

Clarence

WKR
Similar to Mississippi pot roast, I do a pack of Italian dressing mix, 1 cup stock, 2 cloves crushed garlic, and 2 jars peppercinni w/juices in crock pot until it falls apart. Like about a 3 lb roast. Can do 1 jar of peppers, but we run out before the meat does in that situation.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
I refuse to cook my elk using any method that takes it past medium or that hides it's taste. Most of my recipes stop cooking at 125-135F depending on the cut. There are plenty of other big game animals that don't taste as good so I use them in the recipes where the taste needs dressing up or you cook them to well done. If wrapped well, elk meat will keep for 24-36 months so you have plenty of time.

My favorite is a slow cooked, reverse seared back strap. Use simple seasoning to coat a 4-12" long well trimmed back strap. Grill at 180F until internal temp hits 130F- takes a while. Once it hits 130F, remove it and wrap in foil at room temp. Let it "rest" for 10 minutes. In the mean time, bring your grill up to 450-500F. After resting, grill for 30-45 seconds on the hot grill to sear. Allow to rest a couple of minutes, then slice into 1/2" to 3/4" thick pieces and serve with sides. Enjoy!

Laramie

WKR
The above recipe also works great with smaller roasts that would normally be sliced into steaks.

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider
I used this recipe from Meateater a couple of weeks back. I used some spiced/roasted butternut squash instead of canned pumpkin. Turned out damn fine.

Trr15

WKR
Here’s another good one I tried tonight. Substitute the green chiles w/8oz canned chipotle peppers. It was tasty.

JoeDirt

WKR
Elk Tacos! I use stew meat, salt the meat and sear in cast iron pan. I use a premade wet taco seasoning then garnish with whatever. Dont forget the pickled onions!

1605845722160.png

Elk Tenderloin
1605845958520.png

Elk Chili
1605845992780.png

Elk Stir fry

1605846080230.png

Attachments

• 1605846030432.png
    1605846030432.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
Last edited: