Favorite elk recipes

I made the most amazing elk instapot roast tonight and just had to share!!

I used a large rump roast for my meal.
Ingredients:

1 bottle Lawrys Signature Steakhouse marinade
3 slices of thick cut bacon cut into thirds
1/4-1/2 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
1/2 cup low sodium beef bone broth
1/4-1/2 cup red wine
6-8 baby red potatoes quartered
1-2 cup chopped carrots or baby carrots
2-3 tbs cornstarch
1/4 cup cool water

I used a bladed meat tenderizer to tenderize the roast.

Use 1 full bottle of the Lawry’s Marinade in a ziploc or vacuum the roast for up to 24 hours. I vacuum sealed for 24 hours.

Sautée the bacon slices in the instapot until there’s a nice amount of bacon grease. Add the onion and garlic and continue to sauté until the onion is translucent. Remove onion and bacon and set aside. - don’t over cook the bacon.

Remove the roast from marinade and reserve the marinade for later.

Add the roast and brown for 3-5 minutes each side.

Remove the roast and add the beef broth and wine. Deglaze the pot scraping up the brown bits into the liquid.

Return the roast and top with the bacon slices until covered. Pour remaining Lawrys marinade over top.

Set instapot to meat setting for 120 minutes or two hours. Let cook and natural release.

Add quartered potatoes and chopped carrots (I use baby carrots) to instapot and set manual for 8 more minutes and natural release.

Remove all the solid ingredients into a serving bowl. The roast will be fork tender.

Add 2-3 tbs cornstarch to 1/4 cup cool water and mix into the pot to make a gravy.

Pour over the roast and serve!!

Goes well with corn bread muffins!
abe7ff4f503f7a2c2f8d81ceb9bdaae4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DDD
I like a lot of hank shaw's recipes. No complaints from any of his I've tried and gives me some more creative options. Have one of his books, but you can find a lot online from him.

One of my recent first time tries from him was his chile colorado using an elk roast. Cooked in a cast iron dutch oven and turned out great. Fall apart meat after a nice long simmer and a wonderful deep red chile sauce.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Take a 6 to 8 inch long section of tloin or back strap. Coat with spice rub. Sear on all sides in a cast iron pan with butter or on the grill. Place in roasting pan in oven set to 350 F. Cook until the internal temp is 125 to 130 F (meat thermometer is key). Rest for 10 minutes. Cut across the grain into 1/2 inch steaks.
Or, use a filet knife to slice paper-thin and sauté with onions, peppers and montsarella cheese to make Philly cheese steaks.

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
Don't have any Elk...yet, but I'll be sure to practice some of these methods with whitetail I have. Thanks everyone.

I like making carne guisada with my whitetail. I will mix in some beef stew meat. I'll usually get a front shoulder and cube it up. Season to your liking, then brown in a hot cast iron pot. remove meat, add in onions and bell peppers, cook till onions are translucent, add in fresh minced garlic and cook till fragrant. put meat back in, add flour and stir to coat, then add water to desired consistency, add salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and whatever else you like. bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for an hour or until meat is super tender. Serve with tortillas, mexican rice and refried beans and a few Dos Equis. Enjoy.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
#1, Ek Burgundy. 2 las. elk stew meat, 6 slices bacon, 1 cup dry red wine, I use merlot, 2.5 cup beef stock, 1 large onion, 2 TBSP tomato sauce, 2 cloves garlic, 4 TBSP. flour, 1 cup pearl onions, 16 oz. mushrooms, 2 TBSP butter, 1 bay leaf, S7P to taste. preheat oven to 450 deg. cook bacon in dutch oven until lightly brown, remove bacon but leave drippings. Sear cubed meat in bacon drippings brown all sides, do not over crowd in the pan. Set meat aside add chopped onions and garlic saute'until translucent. Add meat to onions, sprinkle flour over meat stir to coat. Place in oven for 5 mins. remove from oven, reduce temp to 350, add cooked bacon, wine, tomato paste and beef stock. Add thyme ( I forgot 2 tsp thyme), and bay leaf. cover and put in 350 deg. oven for two hrs. or until meat is tender. An hour before serving saute mushrooms in butter, Add mushrooms and pearl onions and cook 1 hrs. Season with S&P if needed. For beef stock I used beef consommé. I did not use 1 cup of brandy the recipe calls for.

#2 Elk chili, 3 dried ancho chillies, 1 dried chili d' arbor, 1 dried NM or papilla chili, remove all seeds and grind or you can use pre-ground. 1.5 lbs. ground Elk, 2 large onions diced. 2-10 cans tomato sauce, 1-14.5 oz can Italian stewed tomatoes, chop if needed, 1-15 oz. can drained kidney beans, 1-4 oz. can green chilies, 1-4 oz. can diced jalapeños, ribs and seeds removed. 1 tsp Chile powder, 1.5 tsp cumin, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp S&P, 1/2 cup brown sugar. Brown meat, add onions until slightly cooked, drain off great, add rest of ingredients and simmer covered 2 hrs. Remove from heat and put in frig. overnight for best results. I have won a few chili cook offs with this recipe. for The cook offs, I made the Chile three days ahead of cook off and heated up at event

Last edited: