Favorite food

With sheep season upon us I am busy preparing. As one always on the lookout to up my food game what are your top 2 or 3 items you look forward to eating every day on a sheep hunt?

Wapiti1

WKR
I look forward to sheep tenderloin cooked in sheep fat, but I don't think that's quite what you're asking.

Snacks; chocolate covered coffee beans and macadamia nuts. Really good dry cured salami with high fat content.

Cream cheese and smoked salmon bagels for lunch. I'm more than happy to add a couple of pounds of better food. Just eating protein bars and freeze dried dinners isn't much fun.

Jeremy

small bag of flamin hot cheetos or dehydrated venison (no cure or salt just dried) with sesame oil drizzled on it.
also...dehydrated milk heated up and dunk some coconut butter cookies in it.

Not a sheep hunter yet but do a lot of backpack hunting. After 23 years in the Corps I can tolerate about anything but I do like my bacon peanut butter sandwiches and must have a cup of black coffee in the morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sb23

FNG
I actually enjoy mountain house beef stroganoff. I will also pack a baggie of this sugar and pick blueberries and make a blueberry jam. Amazing after hiking miles and miles.

OP
O
I look forward to sheep tenderloin cooked in sheep fat, but I don't think that's quite what you're asking.

Snacks; chocolate covered coffee beans and macadamia nuts. Really good dry cured salami with high fat content.

Cream cheese and smoked salmon bagels for lunch. I'm more than happy to add a couple of pounds of better food. Just eating protein bars and freeze dried dinners isn't much fun.

Jeremy

Can you provide more detail (recipe) on the salmon bagel?

Big stick of summer sausage and large block of cheese. Yeah its heavy, but its a tasty treat when you're still relatively fresh and marching your way into sheep country. Its also usually gone after two or three days into the trip.

Looking for ideas for this coming sheep seasoning don’t mind PEAK refuel for my morning and evening but would love some real food for lunch

ColeyG

WKR
My crux for backpacking food has been breakfast for a long time. Quick hot breakfasts like oatmeal are convenient, but basically empty calories and I find myself hungry again within minutes.

Bagels and creamcheese are good, but I usually plan on a few bagels, cream cheese, and salami for lunch, and one can only carry and eat so many of those damn things. I'll usually bring a hearty muffin or two for the first couple of mornings but those don't hold up well over time, and they are heavy as well.

I got turned onto Heather's Choice dehy meals a year or two ago and they have some breakfast options that are both tasty, and high in calories and fat. These have become my go-to breakfasts for trying to keep the pack light. Highly recommended. They are a bit spendy by comparison, but HC often has discounts deals and specials that I take advantage of when buying in bulk.

Not to mention it feels good to support a local company and crew.

Not so much a specific food item, but a tip that I really appreciated this year is that I started packing a little water bottle of olive oil on long trips when weight is an issue -- then I'll pour some into each of my dehydrated meals to add some solid calories per ounce (240 cal/oz in olive oil). I find it makes all meals taste better as well!

Apollo117

WKR
1. Chili Flavored Top Ramen
2. Pepperoni
3. Peanut butter filled pretzels
4. Peanut M&M's
5. Nongshim Ramen
6. Dehydrated Santa Fe Refried beans on a tortilla

If you can, add a packet or tuna or salmon to ramen. It gets even better if you add dehydrated vegetables.