Favorite gloves?

What’s the forum’s favorite gloves with the assumption one needs to be able to feel the trigger(3lb) and be able to use a cell phone?

Lowg08

WKR
Following. I wear the first lite merino but have been intrigued by the OR sensor gloves.

Lowg08

WKR
That looks like a serious glove. I only bow hunt so I guess fingerless gloves and a muff are still my go to

jimh406

WKR
I haven't found any gloves that reliably work with cell phones in all conditions. I also prefer carrying a lot of different gloves, but find that I try to avoid gloves in favor of warm pockets in coats.

*zap*

WKR
A light nitrile/rubber glove will work with a phone....you can wear it under any glove or alone and it will really help with cold hands from wind...if your hands get them sweaty just turn the inside out and put em back on.

twall13

WKR
I don't think you can have one set of gloves to cover every hunting condition. Sometimes you want concealment, sometimes you want warmth, sometimes protection from wind, etc. Some gloves are better for when you are actively moving, others are better for when you are stationary. I probably have a pair of gloves to cover me in about every situation imaginable, but it's not practical to carry them all on every hunt so you take what you think will cover the majority of your needs for each hunt and live with the drawbacks. Since the OP asked about gloves you can shoot with I'll limit my responses to the ones I like that work for shooting.

I like the First Lite liner gloves for concealment and feel, but they can be a bit slick (I once had my wind checker slip from my gloved hand at an inconvenient time). The Black Ovis Merino liners are a bit thicker, which I don't love on a liner glove, but they have a lot more grip and are a pretty good buy as well. I actually like both of these better than the Outdoor Research Merino liners gloves I have.

I like the First Lite Shale Hybrid gloves for a bit of protection while still maintaining a decent amount of tactile feel. They aren't super warm but are more so than a Merino liners glove. I don't have as much experience with them, but if they break in right I might like the Pyke Northcutt shooting gloves even better. It's still too early to tell. The Shale Hybrids just break into my hands perfectly, but the Pykes have a more tacky/grippy leather.

The thickest/warmest gloves I shoot with (mostly shotgun with these though I have shot a rifle a few times with them) would be the discontinued Kryptek Norlander Merino gloves. These are quite warm for how much dexterity they provide. They keep my hands warm even when soaking wet if I'm moving. I think the closest updated glove they have is their Gyes glove, but I haven't tried those yet as I bought a backup pair of the Norlanders before they were discontinued as I like them so much.

Another option I've used successfully in many situations is a hand muff (with or without a hot hands pack) and fingerless rag wool gloves. You can get down to some really cold temperatures with that combo and still provide good dexterity in short spurts, like when shooting. You could also just use those gloves and hot hands in your pockets but I prefer the hand muff in most cases.

While some of the touchscreen compatible gloves work better than others, they always drive me nuts for any prolonged use, like texting, and I end up removing them for that.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Venom One

WKR
For early season, I find wearing $12 utility gloves to be perfect - they have everything I need/want in a glove - dexterity, lightweight, incredibly comfortable, touch screen capable, cost effective. Home Depot carries some so you can try before you buy.

For wet conditions, Kuiu's Axis gloves are the best I've found. They're the perfect blend of dexterity, warmth, water resistance, and protection with touch screen capability. They will wet out in really wet conditions so I carry an extra pair.

WRM

WKR
A light nitrile/rubber glove will work with a phone....you can wear it under any glove or alone and it will really help with cold hands from wind...if your hands get them sweaty just turn the inside out and put em back on.

I also like the finger and palm coated work gloves. The stretch material on the back let's a lot of the perspiration out, but the glove works a bit like a vapor barrier so your hand stays a lot warmer than you'd think. I climb a lot with saddle hunting, so I also like them for grip for that and highly dexterous.

Also like the light Manzella windstopper liner style gloves. Also surprisingly warm for weight. I'll put a pair of possum fur "jersey style" gloves on under them when it gets colder. That combo can handle a broad range, particularly if you don't have especially cold natured hands.

Hard to beat the muff if it's cold stand hunting tho.

Last edited: