Favorite Hunting Pants?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are your favorite hunting pants and why?

My favorite are the Sitka Mountain Pant and Timberline pant.

My favorite feature is the integrated knee pads. I love that I can get them in a solid color. I wish they had a venting option to dump heat when climbing. I also really appreciate how durable the pants are.

If you tried to talk me into another pant my MUST have feature is the integrated knee pads..

Just curious what others are using, why, and what their dream pant looked like.

I'm debating a quiet, softer pant for whitetail hunting, but for everything else these pants are my proven choice.

I like my timberlines too.

Ascents are great for hot weather. I was surprised how comfortable and quiet my apex pants were this year. Not a really cold weather pant though.

I have high hopes for my new kuiu pro pant. Hip vents and integrated knee pads.

Brianb3

WKR
Basically like this

September n scouting Tiburons
October Attacks
November Guides

I am not invested in any of their new pants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
for cool weather - Patagonia made for the military (Level 5) soft-shell pants- great material, doubled knees, deep front pockets, roomy zipped cargo pockets, built in suspenders w/ the ability to drop the seat w/o taking off the suspenders, side zips to knee level

for cold weather- Filson whipcord wool pants; somethings never go out of style :)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have no need for knee pads. My favorite are Cabela's old style Microtex Lite unhemmed pants (37" inseam). Super thin, quiet, comfortable, dry quickly, and they breathe so well, there's no need for hip vents. Wearing lightweight merino under them is extremely comfortable and still stays cool. They're the best early season pants I've seen. Wish they still made them as mine are wearing even thinner than they started at.

Prana Zion or if it is colder, I wear Eddie Bauer Guide Pro Fleece Line. Both are under $50 if you find a sale.

The Zions get worn hiking, backpacking, hunting, at work, and around town.

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
For temp 30+ I go Wrangler All Terrain Gear Quick Dry or Prana Stretch Zion. (Do not wear the Wranglers in creek bottoms with cockleburs) strip those and/or put on Sitka Cloudburst rain pants.

For temps 30-10 Deg I wear the same but add FS base layers if I’m hiking a lot. Add Sitka rain pants to cut wind & add warmth if stopping to glass.

Anything 10 & below I like the Kryptek Cadog pants

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the responses,, my goal is to better understand why you like your chosen pants.... Really looking to see what specific features draw you to that pant. i.e. Now that I have run knee pads, it would be for me to leave that..

I have a pair of the the Prana Zion and just don't like how they fit and the integrated belt setup, but man those pants have a following! I'm willing to sell my pair.. : ) I have looked at the Wrangler pants and they seem ok, but the material I saw online says they are mostly cotton, which I prefer to stay away from, but I can see where folks living in different places could have no problems with that pant. The Eddie Bauer Guide Pro pants seem like a great pants, but I think I would miss the pockets of the Mt Pant and Timberlines, but definitely a simple design that is on sale as of today...... Seems like a great outdoor pant I might just try.

I might be a bit of an odd ball, but I find that pants designed for hunting work best for me when hunting. Heck, if the trip is simple I can wear jeans, but when I am spending a full day in the mountains or backpacking in I tend to get very specific about my gear.

I've come to really appreciate the pockets, layout, and design of the Mountain Pants and Timberlines. I've been wearing those two pants since 2013 so I was just trying to see what stacked up against them as a lot has changes in the last 5-6 years. My Dad on the other hand wants little to no pockets, and still wears some vintage military surplus wool pants from the 50s!!

Lots of great options to choose from these days!!

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
“I have looked at the Wrangler pants and they seem ok, but the material I saw online says they are mostly cotton, which I prefer to stay away from”

I have several pairs of Wrangler they’re all 96% Nylon 4% Spandex they’re basically a slightly lesser material as the Prana. So make sure your looking at the right ones.

I prefer the Prana construction they seemed higher quality but they’re baggy I don’t like that.

The Eddie Bauer are legit but be warned they are a little loud once out in the silence of the timber.

This year I wore Stone Glacier de Havilland pants from September to now, and I will wear them next month in Nebraska. That includes, September archery elk, October pronghorn, October mule deer, November whitetails in MN, and Nebraska deer next month. Just modify base layer thickness and puffy pant use as the seasons change. Knee pad pockets, side vents, durable af so far.

Bkottke35

WKR
I’ve been a big fan of the Kuiu Talus pants for later hunts. Love the knee pads, water proof seat and bottoms. Grid fleece for some extra warmth but also has hip vents. Pockets are laid out pretty decent. I’m impressed! Also use the Tiburon for early season or hunting Hogs in Texas.