Favorite Hunting Pants?

rm06

WKR
FL Obsidian are my current faves, especially for warm weather hunts. Breatheability and temp range is unmatched, they work when you're hauling a pack and bow up the side of a mountain in 80* temps down to a crisp, frost-covered morning. Adding merino long johns extends their low temp range further.

2nd favorite are my Prana Zions, they fit and stretch a bit better but their temperature range and breatheability aren't quite like the Obsidian.

For truly cold weather, I turn to my OG Kuiu Guide pants I purchased in 2011. Paired with a merino base, they're bullet proof when the mercury is low.

Any recommendations on good fleece pants for a mid layer for warmth? Mid weight merino base layer and fanatic bibs outer.

Samson7x

WKR
Sitka grinders. I wear them all the time. Super comfortable but not the most durable.

IMO, Pnuma Tenacity pants are the best. Quiet, very comfortable, tons of features...reinforced knees, removable knee pads, the waist expands when adding layers, adjustable cuffs, tough as nails & guaranteed for life. Did I mention they have a lifetime guarantee?

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMO, Pnuma Tenacity pants are the best. Quiet, very comfortable, tons of features...reinforced knees, removable knee pads, the waist expands when adding layers, adjustable cuffs, tough as nails & guaranteed for life. Did I mention they have a lifetime guarantee?
Those look interesting.. How long have you been running these? the cargo pockets look a bit funky in the pics. Do they stick out that far in real life?

Those look interesting.. How long have you been running these? the cargo pockets look a bit funky in the pics. Do they stick out that far in real life?
Funny you ask because I thought the same thing. No sir not as much as it looks in the pics. There's also a small snap at the top of the cargo pocket to flatten it out (but not one at the bottom). The pockets would probably be a little more noticeable in the solid color?
I've only had them less than a year but I wear them all the time & they're very comfortable & tough.
Not sure why they don't mention the expandable waist on the website. You can easily get another 2" from them if needed.
So far every order I've received from them included a free dry bag.
Not sure of the reason but they seem to run out of inventory on a lot of things & you might have to wait several months before they replenish. I would've spent mucho $$$$ but everything I need is out of stock. Very frustrating especially when they run the 30% off deals.

BigWoods

WKR
Early season: 5.11 Tac-Lite Pro Pants - Shed water, cool, easy to move in, dry quickly, very quiet.

Under 40Deg - Wool pants. Shed water to a point but stay warm when they don't. Silent and don't pick up smell.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Early season: 5.11 Tac-Lite Pro Pants - Shed water, cool, easy to move in, dry quickly, very quiet.

Under 40Deg - Wool pants. Shed water to a point but stay warm when they don't. Silent and don't pick up smell.
Which wool pants are your go to?

BigWoods

WKR
Which wool pants are your go to?
I've got a pair of the LL Bean Maine Guide camo cargo pants with Gore Windblock lining. I don't believe they make this exact pair anymore. They are great for deer sits and active when its less than 30deg. I've worn this one pair for 3 hard seasons of deer hunting and they're holding up great. With the wind blocker they are a bit heavy and don't breath super well. As such, I'm planning to get a pair of Big Bill (Canadian Made) 18oz merino for the warmer and/or more active days.

Last edited:

bmf0713

WKR
I love my SKRE hardscrabble pants. I love the pocket set up and the hip vents. I’ve use them in all sort of temps. Durability seems good. I don’t bust through thorns with them(that’s what the carhartts are for) but I’ve had them a few years now and they are holding up good. The fit is great, I’m a bigger guy and I don’t like the pants that fit like skinny jeans. And SKRE runs sales a lot so the price is ok too.