Favorite knife for whitetail hunting?

crl

FNG
Considering picking up a new knife for cleaning whitetail. Right now I have an outdoor edge knife with the replaceable blades. Works great and I really like it, but think I might prefer something that has some eye appeal and seems more like a real knife. Any suggestions under $150?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
For that price you can find a custom made, which is the way to go. Otherwise I would look for something like a SV30 steel. Benchmade, spyderco, too many quality brands to mention.

Reactions: crl
OP
crl

crl

FNG
I really like the idea of something custom made. The whole thing that got me started down this line of thinking was that maybe it could be passed down to my son in the future when he starts hunting.

JGTWI

WKR
Classified Approved
Considering picking up a new knife for cleaning whitetail. Right now I have an outdoor edge knife with the replaceable blades. Works great and I really like it, but think I might prefer something that has some eye appeal and seems more like a real knife. Any suggestions under $150?

Well, not custom, but I think the Cabela’s Alaskan Guide Vanguard knife is great for whitetail. I love the shape of the Buck vanguard, and S30V steel.
The rosewood handle looks a lot nicer than the black rubber, but can be a bit slick. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cab...ade-knife-with-rosewood-handle-by-buck-knives

OP
crl

crl

FNG
Well, not custom, but I think the Cabela’s Alaskan Guide Vanguard knife is great for whitetail. I love the shape of the Buck vanguard, and S30V steel.
The rosewood handle looks a lot nicer than the black rubber, but can be a bit slick. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cab...ade-knife-with-rosewood-handle-by-buck-knives

That’s pretty sweet looking. I’ll have to check that out. As a bonus it looks like they have it in stock at the store close to me.

Midwestwaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
When I decided to step up to a quality knife, I bought a benchmade steep country. Average 3-4 deer field dressed a year since I picked it up and am happy with it. I like orange handles so I can find em when I set em down easier in the dark. If you like wood handles and leather sheaths benchmade makes a hidden canyon, which might be a little small for some folks preference, or the saddle mountain line.

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
Anza makes a custom from high carbon file steel that I like.

Bradford has a nice line of M390 super steel blades. I used a Bradford to skin out 2 bears in Alberta without needing a steel.

In you price range, I think ESEE is hard to beat. their knives in the 4-6 inch range are work horses. Not art but pure function. Stay away from the 5, it is a brick.

for a little more $, I love my winkler hunter. It is small batch production, not hand made, but Dan winkler is the real deal.

if I am being honest, my havalon does most of the gutting and skinning though.

xcutter

WKR
Used my Benchmade Steep Country the other day to gut and quarter a doe. Absolutely love this knife. Still stupid sharp and ready for another deer. Great knife for the money. I got mine for less than $100 from blade HQ.

JGTWI

WKR
Classified Approved
Used my Benchmade Steep Country the other day to gut and quarter a doe. Absolutely love this knife. Still stupid sharp and ready for another deer. Great knife for the money. I got mine for less than $100 from blade HQ.
Bench made steep country is a good option. The sheath sucks, but the rubber orange handle is nice and the blade profile is almost perfect. I do wish the handle was a little thicker to provide a more comfortable grip.

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
Benchmade hidden canyon Hunter and saddle mountain skinner are two of my favorites

bcv

Lil-Rokslider
Check out CFK Knives on ebay.. I have a D2 and Damascus that have skinned lots of animals. The D2 holds its edge better than the damascus but both are hand made customs. Lots of different styles and usually you can get them for less than 60 bucks

22lr

WKR
If weight isn't the problem, I almost always go for my gerber gator premium. Super comfortable blade and super affordable... also made in the USA.

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
Well I went ahead and ordered a knife from argali! Reading these responses made me want another knife!

RedRidge

WKR
Get you a case folder or fixed. Nothing beats a full size trapper for whitetail. Most people have too much knife for a whitetail in my opinion. Case knives have been around for a long long time. It would also be a good piece to pass along. On the contrary get whatever floats your boat and something you will use.

RedRidge

WKR
I'd also add that passing the skill on of sharpening your own knifes will go a long long way. Too many younger folks haven't been taught or care to learn with all the variety of knives out today. Just my .04 cents