Favorite knives to carry for different jobs:

rcdinaz

FNG
I have a sickness when it comes to buying knives and have spent silly money on them. That being said the last two years I have carried a Havalon Shockey knife. Having all the different blades available was awesome for deer and antelope this year.

60A blade, saw blade, gut hook blade, and 70A blade for skinning. along with the standard folding knife blade.
coueswhitetail.com/forums/discover/unread/

You should really try the BRKT fox river in 3v or elmax mines in elmax but it’s a backstrap carver I just never really use it cause it’s to pretty... I usually carry expensive and use cheap when I process game.... You gotta watch virtuovice on youtube .... I tore my acl one year and ended up watching all his videos ... knife reviews are top notch even brings like 3-4 and explains what he likes about each knife while breaking down deer... he’s Japanese but understanding him is easy..

Mako...."Dis knife........very good" He's a sharpening, reprofiling Fool

808hoghunter

Lil-Rokslider
Mako...."Dis knife........very good" He's a sharpening, reprofiling Fool
Lol yes he is... I bought wet Stone because of him and my knives got more dull lol.. it’s a damn art to sharpen.... My wife used to be like are you watching “Herro knife people “ again..

Mawgie

FNG
OP, that is a FINE quiver of knives. One of my personal favorites is my old Spyderco Delica4 that has been to he** and back. I pry with the blade, cut cardboard, caulk tubes and the occasional shingle with it, and just generally use it for anything without wincing over ruining an expensive knife. 12 years or so in, it still locks up pretty tight and, for what VG10 steel is, takes a good edge. Highly recommended as a hard use, EDC beater.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks Mawgie. Those Sypdercos are good knives. I carried an Endura for several years until I lost it.

The latest and last knife I will buy at least for a while came in. The Dozier Wilderness. It's basically a slightly longer and thicker version of the Pro Guide. It's got a thicker edge and is designed for chopping as well as slicing according to Dozier. I really like the knife. The handles are beautiful, heck the whole knife is. It was in as new condition when I got it, but I've already used it some. I didn't buy it to look at. I would have preferred the black handle like my Pro Guide instead of the wood, but I like this knife just the way it is. The Wilderness sheath is excellent also. It rides great on the belt and is easy to draw from with good retention.

Knife buying is now halted for the immediate future. I honestly wouldn't have bought this one if I'd have known the economy was going to shut down. I am not spending anything I don't have to for a while now.

Mawgie

FNG
mcseal2,

A couple of questions on your BM Altitude, if you don't mind? I like them for the minimalist design. I usually field dress whitetails with a Buck Vantage S30v (Paul BOS heat treated) folder. As you can imagine, it requires a fair bit of clean up after each deer, and a full disassembly/deep cleaning/scales removal every couple of years to keep it happy.

I would likely try to run the BM Altitude as a neck knife, but it does look a little big for that. How do you carry yours?

I am also interested in your replacement scales. Is there an aftermarket for that already, or are you having some custom scales fabricated for the Altitude?

Finally, I am not a big fan of color coated blades. Do you know if the Altitude can be dipped/stripped of its orange/black finish? (In this regard, my Delica 4 black pocket clip got to looking ratty, so I took it off, smeared it with a gel formulation paint stripper, let it soak in, wiped it clean, rinsed it, then sanded it to a matte luster with automotive sandpaper. Looks awesome now.)

Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I think it would work as a neck knife, but I just carry mine in my pack. It's never my only knife though, I will always have a sturdier fixed blade with me. I'm not sure if it can be stripped, but I don't see why not.

I have another Rokslide member building my scales. I don't know if he wants to do more or not, but I will send him your name and he can take it from there.

Jimss

WKR
I switched totally over to one knife.....Outdoor Edge. I do a lot of caping for mounts and it is my favorite. It also works fine for boning meat. The nice thing about it is I don't have to sharpen blades and only takes a matter of seconds to swap blades. A blade often lasts quite a while. The other nice thing about OE is they are super light!

I tried Prihada's and they were dangerous. I broke several blades and almost impaled myself when they broke!

Dbern7

FNG
Outdoor edge with replaceable blades is my go to. Easy to pack, and you can pack a couple of the 5” filet/boning blades for boning out

Top- J A Henckels Friodor
Middle- Grohmann #1
Bottom Grohmann #3

I've used the Henckels for close to 40 years now. It still resides in my back as a backup. I don't care about the weight. More and more, I find I really like these Grohmanns though. I prefer and carry the #1 for field dressing, ( it's so comfortable and nimble in so many positions), and the #3 for cooking prep.
20180924_092516 (1).jpg

I’ve been carrying a Doug Ritter RSK made by Hogue for the past few months and really like it. My go to in my kill kit is an Argali Carbon or a Wiebe replaceable blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22lr

WKR
I love my CRKT M16 series for EDC, but for a hunting blade I'm a huge fan of the Gerber Gator Premium series! Freaking love that knife! For more serious hacking and camp chores (and if weight isn't a concern so I can carry both) then I reach for my Cold Steal SRK. I've never been responsible enough to carry a super nice knife so the Gator Premium is about as nice of a knife as I'll let myself carry into the woods.

Top- J A Henckels Friodor
Middle- Grohmann #1
Bottom Grohmann #3

I've used the Henckels for close to 40 years now. It still resides in my back as a backup. I don't care about the weight. More and more, I find I really like these Grohmanns though. I prefer and carry the #1 for field dressing, ( it's so comfortable and nimble in so many positions), and the #3 for cooking prep.
View attachment 168382

I love the feel of my grohmann, I've just gotten a bit sick of the soft carbon steel. It gets me through 1 small animal but any larger deer and it requires a bit of touching up

I love the feel of my grohmann, I've just gotten a bit sick of the soft carbon steel. It gets me through 1 small animal but any larger deer and it requires a bit of touching up

I've not had that experience. All my Grohmanns except the #4 are stainless. Some seasons I do 2 and sometimes get through 3 deer before I need to sharpen and strop. I sharpen at 22*.

I have a bit of an obsession with knives and mostly have benchmades since they're local to me. My EDC is either my mini freek carbon fiber s90v blade or my osborne proxy if i want a beefy folder. For hunting i carry the nestucca and altitude and goatknife replaceable blade but leave the nestucca while backpacking and i will bring the mini freek since it weighs less than 3oz

Hondo

WKR
I'm a knife collector, mostly traditionals and customs but also have numerous factory knives. Although not my favorite, the knife I use the most, for a variety of tasks is a Spyderco Stretch folder in ZDP-189. It is often said that the best rifle to take hunting is the one you shoot the best. It is similar thing with knives and a knife that you have used so much that it essentially becomes an extension of your hand is a highly valuable thing to have at your disposal. The Stretch is not a pretty knife and as far as super steels go, ZDP-189 is not my favorite but it is light, feels great in the hand, holds an edge well and has blade geometry that works very well for a wide variety of tasks. It's generally a back up when hunting but it has been used plenty for that purpose.

My favorite hunting knife is a custom S90V Hunter by Big Chris who also made by favorite fishing fillet knife also in S90V. The one in the photo is larger than the one I primarily use. which has Elk scales. Production knives I have often used for hunting are the Fallkniven H1 (too heavy to backpack imo), Spyderco Moran and the Bark River Mini Skinner. The Mini Skinner is not in current production and is hard to find but is as good a design as most custom skinners I have used.

Big Chris Hunter S90V
Big Chris Moose Hunter S90V 1.jpg
Fallkniven H1 w/custom scales
H1 Amber Stag Bone 2.jpg
Bark River Mini Skinner
P1010245.JPG

Last edited:

rclouse79

WKR
One more I've always liked. A Gerber Bolt Action Exchange blade. I picked up a few extra blades over the years off Ebay. I wish they still made this with modern S30 or S35 steels. I guess the better steels make extra blades less necessary, but it was always nice to put a fresh blade of a different shape in after skinning and before quartering. I like the little extra blade length a lot of times too. I'd still probably have someone make me some new blades in a better steel if I could find someone interested.

View attachment 152676
Along these same lines, I just picked up a Havalon Talon for my fish cleaning and game processing knife. I filleted a bunch of perch with the 5 inch fillet blade and was super impressed. I made the mistake of trying another disposable blade knife company. It made me realize how good the Havalon blades are in terms of sharpness and retaining an edge.

tomatz

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Knives of Alaska Alpha Wolf for the majority of my hunting. Holds a good edge, feels good in the hands and does everything I need.