Favorite knives to carry for different jobs:

mcseal2

WKR
I see there have been a lot of knife posts on lately. I figured I had some time I might as well add one more. I had my favorites out today making sure they didn't have any rust, and that they were all in good shape before a lot of them go in the safe until fall. I like to oil them and make sure the edges are perfect, make sure nothing needs to go to the factory this time of year.

These are my favorites top to bottom, and why I like them.

Blind Horse Pathfinder Scout in O1 steel (currently made as Battle Horse Scout Platoon):
This is a bigger knife with a blade a little over 5" that just feels smaller and handier than it's size in use. I can do finer tasks with it pretty well and it skins great with it's big belly. It just fits my hand well for the small jobs while being plenty big for large ones. It's not a knife I carry a lot hunting but I carry it some on scouting or camping trips. If I want to have one tool I can abuse it's a good one. It weighs about 19oz with the kydex/leather sheath and a firesteel. Heavy, but a good knife.

Benchmade Bushcrafter in S30V: I really don't love the feel of this knife. It made the picture because it is in the canvas sheath with my GB small forest axe and folding bow saw I always have in the UTV or truck on hunting trips.

Bark River Bravo Hunter LT in 3V:
This knife has held up to all the abuse I've been able to put it through and is a handy size. I find my favorite knives tend to have blades around 4.5". It's not my favorite knife to process game with, but it is certainly capable. It works pretty well just not quite as well as a couple of the others. The Convex edge really slices well for a knife this thick. It goes on a lot of fishing and scouting trips when I don't want to pack the bigger Pathfinder knife.

Bob Dozier Pro Guides knife in D2:
This knife has been growing on me the more I use it. In October I liked it but didn't love it processing a couple muleys. Since I got the edge a little smoother and less "toothy" and I've liked it a lot more. It has a great sheath and holds an edge really well. It's my second favorite game knife and not far behind the first.

Bark River Classic Clip Point Hunter in 3V:
My current favorite. I haven't found much I don't like about it. The Convex edge slices awesome and it holds an edge really well. One of us was always using it cutting up the 2 moose and it did great. My only hold-up on it is that I don't know that I can sharpen it long term on the ceramic rod I use in the field without screwing up the convex edge. I sharpen it at home on a strop with some Bark River compound, but in the field when it's all bloody I like to just use the ceramic rod. I might have to send it to the factory every so often if I keep doing that to get the edge convexed again. So far it's been fine.

Benchmade Altitude:
It isn't my favorite for anything but caping. It's a darn good little knife capable of doing big jobs, and light enough it goes along as my back-up a lot. I'm getting new scales for the handle that hopefully fit my hand better and make me like it more.

Not pictured is the ZT 452CF folder that I carry a lot for work or on trips and also like. As more of the pants I wear hunting have built in belts it gets more use. I'll put up a pic with it below. It's a nice knife, light for it's size and with good S35VN steel.

knives 2 2020.jpg

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
One more I've always liked. A Gerber Bolt Action Exchange blade. I picked up a few extra blades over the years off Ebay. I wish they still made this with modern S30 or S35 steels. I guess the better steels make extra blades less necessary, but it was always nice to put a fresh blade of a different shape in after skinning and before quartering. I like the little extra blade length a lot of times too. I'd still probably have someone make me some new blades in a better steel if I could find someone interested.

knives 4 2020.jpg

daddie63

WKR
I have 2 new Ridgelines I’m looking forward to putting to use. Doesn’t help much but thought I’d share anyways.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I have a Spyderci sharpmaker. Usually though a ceramic rod and leather strop are enough.

For field use I carry the ceramic rod from an old Cabelas ceramic steel in my kill kit and use it every 10 minutes or so while processing game. Its probably not needed with modern steel, but its a habit I don’t plan to break. The rod only weighs 1.2oz.

rcdinaz

FNG
Benchmade folders, I have a few and a Havalon. Last season I did not carry the Benchmade on my belt all the time but did carry the Shockey Havalon which has a very sharp standard blade and the scalpel along with the new gut hook and saw blades.

The D2 and S30V blades on the Benchmade are great but take quite bit of work to sharpen. A small sharpener with a softer steel blade is pretty quick to sharpen in the field. I used the cheap little Sharpal from Amazon and for $9 it did everything needed.

Beendare

WKR
Nice knives Mcseal.....

I almost lost my EDC folder yesterday at the ATT Pro Am golf tourney....I didn't even think about it as I almost always have a knife on me.

I had to walk a ways back and ditch it in the bushes...picked it up on the way out- whew.

I have a winkler hunter that I love to haul with me. If I am being honest, my havalon does most of my game work and my leatherman handles small tasks.

When I want a big chopper, I have a junglas 2 and a mega pounder from grayman.

99% of my life I’ve been a fixed blade guy. Now I carry nothing but replaceable blade ones like Havalon and Outdoor Edge. Always sharp. No more honing away.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I’ve tried the Havalon, Tyto and Outdoor Edge. All work fine but I just like a good fixed blade better. I put some pressure on a blade on hip sockets especially and a knife with a tegular blade just works better for me.

Trial153

WKR
A Doizer ProGuide is a knife you can stake you life on, it will not fail you. I have owned about 30-35 Doizers and it Bobs best design. You will find other knives that will excel in some specific tasks but you will be hard pressed to find one that can do them all as well as s Proguide. Its a classic.
If i cant walk out in a day it will be on my hip or lashed to my pack.

Here is my current line up of users.
Dozier Pro Guide in D2
Charles May in s30v
Gene Ingram Semi in D2
Gene Ingram #4 drop point in D2
Robert Herbert Helium 1 s35vn in my kill kit
f2ca4a7b385d8628a8fb144aa47e00dd.jpg

Mine used most of the time are as follows. For a hunting knife I like a blade in the 3-4 inch range that can be used for everything.

Ruana 5AD - 4" blade, mine has wood scales and they hand filed some jumping on the top portion of the blade in front of the handle. It's a beautiful knife with a drop point blade that is just the right size for just about every task in the outdoors. It's large enough, but not too large. It was also given as a gift so it's sentimental to me.

Ruana S/H - 3 1/2" blade - It too is a very functional knife with a nice sized blade.

Benchmade mini Barrage - 2.9" blade that is my EDC knife that clips into my pocket. It is a daily use and once in a while used in hunting situations. I took it on my Alaska grizzly bear trip and left my larger knives at home. I knew the guide would have knives but I hate being without one in my pocket. I used it to skin out the bear I got with my guide. Benchmade makes nice knives.

Schrade lock-blade knife - 3.5" blade Made in USA This one is identical to the Buck 110. It's a great knife also. Use it mostly camping now although it's in a sheath on my hunting pack also. I like to have a couple knives with me so I don't have to worry if one gets dull. Schrade when they were USA made were very good.

Buck 110 - same as above. Excellent knives.

I see there have been a lot of knife posts on lately. I figured I had some time I might as well add one more. I had my favorites out today making sure they didn't have any rust, and that they were all in good shape before a lot of them go in the safe until fall. I like to oil them and make sure the edges are perfect, make sure nothing needs to go to the factory this time of year.

These are my favorites top to bottom, and why I like them.

Blind Horse Pathfinder Scout in O1 steel (currently made as Battle Horse Scout Platoon):
This is a bigger knife with a blade a little over 5" that just feels smaller and handier than it's size in use. I can do finer tasks with it pretty well and it skins great with it's big belly. It just fits my hand well for the small jobs while being plenty big for large ones. It's not a knife I carry a lot hunting but I carry it some on scouting or camping trips. If I want to have one tool I can abuse it's a good one. It weighs about 19oz with the kydex/leather sheath and a firesteel. Heavy, but a good knife.

Benchmade Bushcrafter in S30V: I really don't love the feel of this knife. It made the picture because it is in the canvas sheath with my GB small forest axe and folding bow saw I always have in the UTV or truck on hunting trips.

Bark River Bravo Hunter LT in 3V:
This knife has held up to all the abuse I've been able to put it through and is a handy size. I find my favorite knives tend to have blades around 4.5". It's not my favorite knife to process game with, but it is certainly capable. It works pretty well just not quite as well as a couple of the others. The Convex edge really slices well for a knife this thick. It goes on a lot of fishing and scouting trips when I don't want to pack the bigger Pathfinder knife.

Bob Dozier Pro Guides knife in D2:
This knife has been growing on me the more I use it. In October I liked it but didn't love it processing a couple muleys. Since I got the edge a little smoother and less "toothy" and I've liked it a lot more. It has a great sheath and holds an edge really well. It's my second favorite game knife and not far behind the first.

Bark River Classic Clip Point Hunter in 3V:
My current favorite. I haven't found much I don't like about it. The Convex edge slices awesome and it holds an edge really well. One of us was always using it cutting up the 2 moose and it did great. My only hold-up on it is that I don't know that I can sharpen it long term on the ceramic rod I use in the field without screwing up the convex edge. I sharpen it at home on a strop with some Bark River compound, but in the field when it's all bloody I like to just use the ceramic rod. I might have to send it to the factory every so often if I keep doing that to get the edge convexed again. So far it's been fine.

Benchmade Altitude:
It isn't my favorite for anything but caping. It's a darn good little knife capable of doing big jobs, and light enough it goes along as my back-up a lot. I'm getting new scales for the handle that hopefully fit my hand better and make me like it more.

Not pictured is the ZT 452CF folder that I carry a lot for work or on trips and also like. As more of the pants I wear hunting have built in belts it gets more use. I'll put up a pic with it below. It's a nice knife, light for it's size and with good S35VN steel.

View attachment 152653
Where are the new scales coming from? I'd love to hear about the. I also have an Aaltitude. I think its fantastic for the weight, however, although the scales do help a lot I feel they could be better if the were a touch larger.

808hoghunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a fixed blade knife whore and now that I stumbled upon this I really wanna try out a dozier pro guide... any body got one they wanna let go of in trade? Got a new BRKT bravo 1 LT or expensive custom I would trade made by David sharp sharpwerks or even this custom Dcl Persian fighter in 3v steel

Attachments

• 8E4C604B-DADA-42BE-90BD-D38C0D28797D.jpeg
    8E4C604B-DADA-42BE-90BD-D38C0D28797D.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 793E8D41-06A4-40BB-BBC4-1D773400880A.jpeg
    793E8D41-06A4-40BB-BBC4-1D773400880A.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 9AD09C35-7E5E-4902-9CC3-F3B012326328.jpeg
    9AD09C35-7E5E-4902-9CC3-F3B012326328.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 68
OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Where are the new scales coming from? I'd love to hear about the. I also have an Aaltitude. I think its fantastic for the weight, however, although the scales do help a lot I feel they could be better if the were a touch larger.

Another Rokslide member

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I may have a bit of a knife problem. I picked up a Dozier wilderness knife used that should be in Monday. I darn sure did not need it with the ones I already have, but I bet I like it. I might pack it on scouting, fishing, and camping trips if I like it as much as I expect to. Leave the Pro Guide for when I need to process game.

808hoghunter

Lil-Rokslider
You should really try the BRKT fox river in 3v or elmax mines in elmax but it’s a backstrap carver I just never really use it cause it’s to pretty... I usually carry expensive and use cheap when I process game.... You gotta watch virtuovice on youtube .... I tore my acl one year and ended up watching all his videos ... knife reviews are top notch even brings like 3-4 and explains what he likes about each knife while breaking down deer... he’s Japanese but understanding him is easy..

sneaky

"DADDY"
I was working at a guy's house the other day who works for Chris Reeves knives. Talked to him for an hour about knives. They've got a new lightweight knife coming out that I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mosster47

Lil-Rokslider
I got this Spydeco Centofante for my EDC and I love it. It's super light and hold a good edge.

Message_1574522566891.jpg

I had Benchmade make me this Griptillian before hunting season. I had them put an M4 blade on it and it's incredible. It holds an edge like no other. I'm not looking forward to sharpening it.

Screenshot_20191125-131307.png