Favorite lite boots for early season elk

Gold54bs

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious as to what you guys are running? I’m looking at the hanwag tatra lites and the saelwa mtn trainer lite mids. Been running the crispi Nevada’s for a while but just looking to expand my boot collection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought the salewa mtn trainer mids, they’re a nice set of boots, little on the narrow side for me. If they were a touch wider they’d be my go to archery elk boot for this year

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just curious as to what you guys are running? I’m looking at the hanwag tatra lites and the saelwa mtn trainer lite mids. Been running the crispi Nevada’s for a while but just looking to expand my boot collection

The Kestrels have been my go-to boot for 2 years now.. super comfortable, with plenty of support, in a light weight package.

- Matt

10ringer

WKR
If your feet like Nevada’s then get the Colorados. Feel very similar, they have a stiffer last …a number 4 rating but because they’re synthetic they will flex just as much as the Nevada’s but breathe a whole lot better.

dtrkyman

WKR
Depending on terrain I will be wearing trail runners on dry moderate terrain.

Packed 30lbs in and out 8 miles wearing Saloman speedcross 5s recently, went well. Those are goretex, need a non goretex pair.

I wore my Hoka trail runners in Az. in August for deer last year, but got into some steep stuff and they sucked in that situation. Were great otherwise.

npro04

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re wanting to stick with the crispi’s should definitely check out the summits and lapponia depending on how stiff you want them. Could toss the Thor’s in there too

The great part about light boots is they dry out faster and every ounce you save means you can walk farther.

Elk hunting I often find myself having to cross creeks that are thigh deep or creeks that are just a lot safer to wade across than try to jump. If the only way out is a helicopter ride, it pays to be conservative and wade more creeks and fast drying boots help me make smart decisions.

I count every ounce when I'm elk hunting because the lighter the load, the faster and farther I can go. A light load means more opportunities.

I'm considering the Salomon ultra mids I'm also thinking about the Altra Lone Peak which is only 12oz. That might be a bit light though. Last year I used a pair of Northface ultralight hikers and I liked them a lot, but they are not making them this year.

I’ve been using altra lone peaks. Love them but zero ankle support. The make a Tusher light boot that does have some ankle support. I’ve tried them but they give me heal blisters .

I put a lot of miles on a pair of Lowa Camino GTX. VERY comfortable but not quite stiff enough for my personal taste. Currently wearing the Crispi Colorado GTX as an all season boot, which I love, but would likely go with the Thor if I were looking for a strictly early season, warm weather boot.

@grfox92 the width is definitely a more generous toe box which I like. My feet are more on the wider side do it fits me nice and your toes definitely can wiggle around

I have about 4 years on a pair of lowa renegades that I love. Use them in the spring and summer to fix fence in the high country and September for elk here in Colorado. I’ve taken them all the way into November but wouldn’t recommend it. They’re lightweight and full leather which is a plus for me. The only downside is they don’t breath as good as a synthetic boot might.

Currently testing out the Lowa Baldo GTX. So far they're light but definitely need break-in time. Each boot is 26 ounces and the lacing system is top notch. I really like that they're resoleable.

grfox92

WKR
@grfox92 the width is definitely a more generous toe box which I like. My feet are more on the wider side do it fits me nice and your toes definitely can wiggle around
Good to know my right foot is wider than my left and not quite a wide as they feel sloppy on my feet so I need a regular size boot with a good towel box. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Vasque Breeze, like tennis shoes. No break in needed I've used them for every species out here. In saying that, some people can wear flip flops on an elk hunt, others need high end boots for support.

Last edited: