Favorite meal replacement bars???

DocGlenn

FNG
Which type of meal replacement bars does everyone like? I was thinking trying to eat the bars for breakfast-lunch and go with Mt House for dinner. Want to try them out for taste before the hunt in Sept. Thanks!
Glenn

RCB

WKR
My only recommendation is to get a bunch of different bars. No bar is good enough to eat 5 per day for an entire hunt. Further, you'll probably want more than just bars: jerky, salame, trail mix, junk food.
I don't know about "meal replacement", but I generally get a mix of Lara bars, Clif bars, Kind bars, and whatever else Target has in stock.

I rotate the bars I buy based on what is on sale. I'm a huge fan of RX bars, but definitely understand why they aren't for everyone (they could be described as brick like and overpriced for sure). Oatmega is probably the best bar brand I have tried, but they are pricey - I think the sale price is like $1.79.

Think! is a fantastic brand and so is Luna. I shoot for the ones with 20g protein so they are more filling. Fiber is good for that too.

The true meal replacement bars cost a good bit more, and tend to be more brick like. I have tried a couple Pro Bars that are ok, but can't say much more than ok.

Last edited:
There would be nothing fun about eating meal replacement bars for two meals each day while on the mountain. Oatmeal or something for breakfast, trail mix/sausage/cheese/jerky/ramen for lunch and Backpackers Pantry for dinner.

bsnedeker

WKR
Here's my general routine and it works well for me when I'm hunting from the truck:

1. Perfect Peanut Butter Bar for breakfast, various flavors and they are all delicious.
2. For lunch I mix it up but usually do some kind of ProBar. I also mix in the occasional Green Belly bar if I'm feeling fancy. There are a couple of RX bars I can stomach so those occasionally make it in the pack.
3. MH or Next Mile Meals for dinner back at the truck.

If I'm spiking out I will take an extra Perfect Bar and/or Probar for dinner. I hate carrying stoves and using up a bunch of water for hot meals when all I really want to be doing is chasing elk.

Hondo

WKR
I also use the Think bars for meal replacement. Sam's Club had a good deal on mixed boxes of Chocolate Brownie and Peanut Butter Chocolate. The price as well as the 20gr Protein & 0gr Sugar stats is what got me to try them. They are pretty good, especially the Chocolate Brownie ones, so I ordered more. I have a meal replacement smoothie for breakfast when I am home, so I use the bars for lunch while at work. I have to mix bars up so I don't get burnt out so I also get the Cliff Whey Protein bars. I actually prefer them in taste to the Think bars but they don't have as much protein (14gr). They are pretty low on sugar (5gr).

hikenhunt

WKR
I don't regard them as meal replacement bars but in the bars I bring, i try to make sure there is a decent amount of protein and limited number of ingredients that no one can pronounce, such as RX bars. I also bring a variety of snacks/bars and try not to rely on one flavor or even brand as others have mentioned.

Snickers, Payday, Reese’s cups. I have a sweet tooth ;-). Most meal bars are only about 110-130 cal/oz. And that’s the same as most candy bars. So that’s my go to now. I say that somewhat joking, but I’ve almost completely eliminated meal bars out due to eating too many in my life and now use other things and supplement the other things with candy bars. And I really like gummy bears/worms too for a quick hit.
But like others say get a bunch and try them. Some you will like, some you won’t. Some will give the sh%#ts, some won’t. I really like KIND bars and occasionally the Pro Bar.

Just make sure they actually have what your body needs. Most "bars" are pretty empty as far as nutrition. Many just have a lot of protein. Check out the Big 100 bar. Found one at Costco called Stabilyze that had good nutrition.

All I eat on hunts are various bars and a few other things. I stopped taking a stove years ago.

Only ones I really like are the cliff cherry smoothie bars and the blue berry muffin bars. Other than that I,like the others go with trailmix, tubes of almonds,summer sausage,or pickled bologna and hard-boiled eggs.

Probar is my favorite. Superfood slam and PB choc chip. I buy a case of each every year

Love the probars... good for the fishing boat too. You can get them on pro deals and grab a couple cases for a good price. Much better than mountain house aka salt lick meals 😂

Poser

WKR
Green Belly pack a pretty good punch in terms of calories and especially fat content, but none of them are food that I really look forward to -more supplemental calories when needed.

Probars....... nothing else compares. If not mistaken, they still pack the most calories per gram of any bar on the market, .6 calories per gram more than the Green Belly bars.

Elkangle

WKR
I like the green bellys...i eat them every day to get some easy calories and i think they are pretty dang tasty

What ever you decide on i would eat them consistently ahead of time to see how your body reacts to them....zero need to experiment while on a trip

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
The new Probar S’mores is my new favorite. Big fan of BoBo bars as well, but wouldn’t call it a meal replacement, not a significant source of protein

OP
D

DocGlenn

FNG
I like the green bellys...i eat them every day to get some easy calories and i think they are pretty dang tasty

What ever you decide on i would eat them consistently ahead of time to see how your body reacts to them....zero need to experiment while on a trip
Definitely don''t need gastric change in the mountains!