Favorite Mechanical Broadhead ?

BSeals71

WKR
Looking at trying out a different mechanical broadhead for bear and deer.

I used the G5 Deadmeat on my last black bear & Rage Hypodermic on deer with no complaints.

What is your go-to favorite mechanical broadhead?

Rage Trypan. Only 3 kills with it, but a pile with the Rage Chisel tip and I feel the Trypan is much better than the Chisel tip.

Norm555

WKR
I've killed 3 animals with the Sevr 1.5" so far and like them a lot. I'm sure other people have way more experience with other broadheads but I am very happy with them.

I like the Sevr 1.5's. I have only killed one elk with them so my opinion is more features than actual performance results..., but I like that they're titanium, looking at them they are super low profile with blades nearly 100% protected by the ferrule, and how you can practice with the exact head on the exact arrow that you're going to be hunting with...the only difference is like a 3 grain set screw. The o-rings are kinda an obvious weak spot and re-setting them in the field with your backpacking kit is a little funky but doable. I'll probably hunt with these for the next 5 years.

MattB

WKR
I have been shooting Vortex BH's for 20+ years and see no reason to change. The 125 gr. steel 2" is my favorite.

I have killed multiple elk with the spitfire, no issues at all. But lately have been playing more with fixed cut on contact.

Between myself and others probably 25 elk killed with spitfires, some with relatively low poundage and arrows. If can place your arrow where you want they will kill elk.

Spend time shooting whichever broadhead you decide on. Make sure it is flying true from your setup and hits behind your pin. That's the most important aspect.

Those sevr heads look nice. I have never heard of them. Shot rage chisel tips for about 5 years and switched to a magnus buzzcut last year. Debating on what to go with for this year...

MattB

WKR
Over on Bowsite (and I think here too) I've seen a number of guys who tried Sevr for a season and are moving on from them. Seems like a better idea in concept than in practice.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Over on Bowsite (and I think here too) I've seen a number of guys who tried Sevr for a season and are moving on from them. Seems like a better idea in concept than in practice.

Personally, I would only try the 2.1's after I tried the Ulmer Edge's a few years ago. But I really don't like their swinging blades, so I'd pick a Trypan over the 2.1's as well. I'd rather blow through the ribs than around them.

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
Hav
I have been shooting Vortex BH's for 20+ years and see no reason to change. The 125 gr. steel 2" is my favorite.

have you used these for elk? My local archery shop owner uses these exclusively but he uses For Deer and hogs. I’m using them this year for deer but would like some feedback If you’ve used on elk?

MattB

WKR
Hav

have you used these for elk? My local archery shop owner uses these exclusively but he uses For Deer and hogs. I’m using them this year for deer but would like some feedback If you’ve used on elk?

I think I have killed 2 bulls with them. I have a short DL (27.5") and pull 65# so tend to use fixed blades for larger animals now. If I have a longer DL and/or shot heavier arrow I would not hesitate to use the 2" steel on elk.

The last bigger animal I killed with one was a mountain caribou (400#?). He was quartering too slightly @ 50 yards and started to walk right when I shot. The arrow hit him back a bit and the BH shattered his offside femur. Pretty impressive performance.

Last edited:

VTJ

FNG
Fav. mech. always has been the Steelhead (1 1/8") and the now discontinued Steelhead XL(1.5") and the Sidewinder(1.5"), all 100 grs … thru the years, Ive killed dozens of deer including some huge bucks using them …. I still have some XL's left, and extra blades for them, I use them from time to time, but have went to fixed heads primarily using Wicked Tricks and Viper Tricks.... however, I always have a Steelhead XL or a Sidewinder in the quiver and will switchout the Wicked with it..... why, just because I know either will work ….

Beendare

WKR
I'm really not a mech fan BUT......

I think the best one I've seen is the new Evolution outdoors model. More of a hybrid design.

Its really strong and performed well on the few animals I've seen shot with it. Full disclosure, I've hunted with Dale- a friend. Its nice as it penetrates well but still cuts a huge hole.

Evolution outdoors

______