Favorite Midlayer.

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
What is everyone's go to midlayer?
What I got is not cutting it.

Have some decent baselayers.
Need something for those 20-50 degree days.

Describe your application you are looking for a mid layer in...stationary hunting, active hunting, hiking mild trails, etc....

the answers will vary with your answers.
Last year I really found my strong fleece 260 was a great mid layer for stationary hunting, but would not want that on an active hunt unless it was really cold and even then not sure.
i don’t do a lot of active hunting, so can’t comment too much on that, but I have a few options that might suit the bill for that when the time comes, promerino and core lightweight come to the top of my head.

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
I normally wear a patagonia R1 for Nov stationary hunting. Got a good deal on a badlands flex hoodie that has dwr and side/back venting that I'm bringing to my Wyoming mule deer hunt.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I normally wear a patagonia R1 for Nov stationary hunting. Got a good deal on a badlands flex hoodie that has dwr and side/back venting that I'm bringing to my Wyoming mule deer hunt.

R1’s are great. The new ones don’t get as smelly as the old ones which is a big plus.

No matter the season or conditions I almost always have some form of gridded fleece over my base layers. I’ve got them from Patagonia, FL, OR and a handful off off brands I’ve acquired over the years. I wear them 12 months a year basically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
PredatoronthePrairie

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Describe your application you are looking for a mid layer in...stationary hunting, active hunting, hiking mild trails, etc....

Well for example, yesterday we saw a 25 degree drop in temps so I figured it was time to hit the woods.

Daytime highs were 48, evening temps around 40. Cold NW wind, 8-12mph. Hunt started with dragging the kayak 100 yards fully loaded. Then half mile paddle. Then sneak a hundred yards with stand on back to setup. From there its 3hrs of no moving.

So kind of a mixed bag. Usually will add a layer when I get to the stand so I dont overheat on the way in.

Kick in the shins was I never saw a deer. Fun sit tho, had hundreds of doves flying in to roost and a owl kept harassing them right around my stand. Within spitting distance.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have a few pullover microfleece mock-T's that are my favorite mid layer......but I'm hunting in September and always on the move. If I had to be stationary I'd have a thicker fleece and/or a packable down jacket.

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
R1’s are great. The new ones don’t get as smelly as the old ones which is a big plus.

No matter the season or conditions I almost always have some form of gridded fleece over my base layers. I’ve got them from Patagonia, FL, OR and a handful off off brands I’ve acquired over the years. I wear them 12 months a year basically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Got a favorite "cheap" grid fleece you like? I can't seem to find anything with a hood that's under $100 and would like a back up that I can keep in the tent/truck.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve gone back and forth with Patagonia, Sitka, under Armour, Woolx, LlLBean and kryptek. I’ve gone back to a Helly Hansen zip neck fleece sweatshirt. HH is great. Warm. Light. Doesn’t smell. I really love it.

Lowg08

WKR
Just carry a puffy set that packs down small and put it on when you get there

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
Got a favorite "cheap" grid fleece you like? I can't seem to find anything with a hood that's under $100 and would like a back up that I can keep in the tent/truck.

It is not an r1 or a Pelton 240, but it is fine. The zippers are not great, but I bought mine for 30 bucks and it may fit your needs. The chest and back of the arms are brushed fleece and the rest is gridded. The hood is really good - tight, zips up just above the nose, and is offset. I am 6'2" and 195 and the large fits well.

WestNE

WKR
This is a very non- technical response but a good friend said one time that he takes an unlined fairly thin woven wool sweater. For me it is one of the most versatile pieces I've got.

With enough pressure it packs down, light rain doesn't impact warmth, and it's looser fit is just more comfortable than some of the athletic fitting insulation layers. I'm amazed at how comfortable i stay across a wide range of temps and activity levels.

Nick

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
This is a very non- technical response but a good friend said one time that he takes an unlined fairly thin woven wool sweater. For me it is one of the most versatile pieces I've got.

With enough pressure it packs down, light rain doesn't impact warmth, and it's looser fit is just more comfortable than some of the athletic fitting insulation layers. I'm amazed at how comfortable i stay across a wide range of temps and activity levels.

Nick

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Same here. I picked up a dark green lambs wool sweater at a thrift shop for about 5bucks about 6 years ago. It’s abit thinner then a stansfield but seems to be just as warm and not so hot Aswell.

406unltd

WKR
I like to add an active jacket or hoody from Sitka over a base layer for warmth and weather resistance. But if I’m gonna be in nasty thick country I’ll go with the Sitka heavyweight hoody in bow season. Then if it’s rifle I use the good ol cronos hoody from Kryptek most of the time.

A wool flannel shirt. They are tough, cheap, warm. They are a good work layer. You dont have to worry about melting it or snagging it. If it gets hot you can unbutton, etc. There's a reason they have been worn by people who work in the outdoors for over 100 years.