Favorite Non-hunting Brand or Solid Color Pieces for Archery Whitetail

BigJoeXD

FNG
Hey y'all, I know similar threads have been posted before but I'm looking for more whitetail bowhunting specific answers.

Post up your favorite clothes or brands you have found to be equivalent or better for treestand or ground based bowhunting that are quiet, insulating, breathable, and/or waterproof. It could be anything used across the hunting season spectrum, early, mid, late; base layers, outer shells, insulating pieces, softshells, waterproof layers, etc.

I have some Kuiu gear in solids (axis hybrid set, attack pants, kutana pants) that'll work well for early to mid season, but can't seem to find much in the search for quiet insulation or waterproof layers. For late season I might have to stick with Sitka or look at IWOM or ShiverShield.

I hunt in Iowa so temperatures vary widely; early season in the 60's to late season in the teens or lower.

Thanks in advance!

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
Minus 33 for base layers, patagonia R1 midlayer, eddie bauer for pants / puffies and ll bean for softshell. . I just got a green outdoor research rain coat in their ascentshell line that's as quiet as a softshell that I'm going to try to use this year.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Outdoor research. It’s frequently 40% off too. Marmot is fantastic all around as well, and is particularly well known for their waterproof gear.

Hunting brands only make sense if you have to have camo or if it really matters to you who you are (or are not) supporting. Across the board performance will be better, and at a better price point, from mountaineering/backpacking/skiing brands.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
During early bow season, I use Smartwool base layers, Eddie Bauer/Wrangler pants, and “earth tone” 1/4 zip fleece tops from Marmot, North Face, Eddie Bauer, etc.....

Found a great vest that I wear everyday at Cabelas. couldn't see spending the money for a brand name single-purpose camo vest..
happened to find it in the regular clothing section, gray color carhart type cotton shell. pretty heavy and much cheaper too

TxxAgg

WKR
Duluth firehose flex pants. Pick brown, tan, or greyish green.

They have some stretch which is nice, and they're moisture and stain resistant.

I've soaked them in blood and they come out of the wash looking like new. I wear them around town, too.

wesfromky

WKR
Arborwear original and fleece lined original are what I hunt in most of the time. Tree climbing brand, so no surprise that they work well for saddle hunting.

Icebreaker merino long sleeve T

Green Woolrich shirt

Mid weight wool whipcord pants

Charcoal Filson wool jacket

I had a brown plaid Woolrich jacket that was my fav until my wife washed it for me

Wool is quiet but more importantly doesn't have the UV signature that synthetics have and just flat works better in all conditions

drmatara

FNG
Anything in wool.
Charcoal Filson wool jacket, Fjallraven sweaters and pants are great.

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
LL Bean ragg wool sweater has been one of my favorite pieces for the last 10+ years. Great early season outer piece and one helluva insulating mid layer for late season.

OP
B

BigJoeXD

FNG
Outdoor research. It’s frequently 40% off too. Marmot is fantastic all around as well, and is particularly well known for their waterproof gear.

Hunting brands only make sense if you have to have camo or if it really matters to you who you are (or are not) supporting. Across the board performance will be better, and at a better price point, from mountaineering/backpacking/skiing brands.
Agree, I'd rather take advantage of better technology/performance from the technical brands rather than hunting brands. However, the challenge I've found with technical brands is trying to find outer shells quiet enough for bowhunting.

Generalization here, but you basically can’t get quiet and actual high quality weather protection. The exceptions tend to cost a small fortune and weigh more than a more versatile mid layer/shell combo. The right piece of gear to bring along all boils down to how much weather protection you actually need. Being quiet is a luxury, having weatherproof gear can at times be absolutely critical.

My rain jacket almost never leaves my pack (and it’s loud), but if I needed a balance of quiet and weather protection I would look for a light shell described as “stretchy” such as the Ascentshell line. Now if I was heading to Alaska for a backcountry trip I would absolutely not bring a quiet/stretchy shell. Having a heavy/loud/expensive bombproof 3 layer Goretex shell could make or break your trip.

The same generalization applies to insulation, it’s usually not quiet unless it’s a poor insulator per ounce like fleece. I’m pretty fond of my North Face Ventrix (~15 oz), and am really excited about the Kor Cirrus Hybrid I bought last week (9.5 oz). Basically the “active insulation” category would be where I would suggest browsing for this need.

Last edited:
If you’re looking for quiet and waterproof you should check out Rivers West. I use their waterproof fleece Ranger jacket and pants for still hunting in the rain because they are really quiet and stay dry. The downside is it not very breathable or lightweight and it is not cheap.

Pendleton virgin wool shirts are really nice in solid or plaid. And I’ll add another vote for Minus 33 base layers, especially the expedition weight bottoms.

I actually just sold most all of my name brand hunting clothes and started doing the same thing. I did keep my First Lite Sanctuary set. Easily the best piece of late season gear I have ever owned. As far as my new budget solids, I have been wearing the wrangler Walmart outdoor pants. They are awesome for $20. Columbia Ascender jacket that I found for $34 is pretty awesome. Super quiet. I found a grid fleece mid layer hoodie at old navy in dark green. Really light weight but dries crazy fast. Hood and fit is okay but it was $20. One piece I was really impressed with was the OR Ferrosi winter jacket. I bought it used off REI. I wanted the Kuiu Kenai but hunting white tails it just seems to fragile for my style. The OR jacket has close to the same insulation but has a nylon durable face fabric. A little louder but nothing bad. Very warm and comfy.