Favorite OTC Hunt

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
With my nearly flawless record of failed draws and point accumulation, I was thinking today. Yes, when you manage to draw a special tag they can be great hunts. But I have had equally great hunts with OTC tags. The thing is that the tags that take 20 years to draw are actually not much fun in my opinion, they are stressful. You have so much riding on the tag, you will never hunt the unit or species again. You are all in trying to make the most out of this "special" tag.

On the other hand. You buy a tag, call a friend and take off for a couple of days. Stumble into some game with no expectations and end up having a great time.

So what is your favorite OTC hunt? I'm not asking the state, unit, and weapon. Just quite simply what is it?

For me it is a toss-up, here are a few.

We used to be able to hunt black bears in AK every year as NR, That was a lot of fun, there is something about starting and working your own bait that is cool.

AZ archery deer tags are great also

Finally A zone blacktails in CA, I have many fond memories of those hunts. Trouble is access to private land.

Trial153

WKR
I have an area that I can get an archery mule deer tag, it's a good hunt right up till the states gun season.
It's a fall back for me and have hunted the tag 4 times. If I find myself short on hunts I pull the tag and go...

Okhotnik

WKR
Archery whitetail rut hunts in the Midwest thrown in with walleye and Muskie fishing

Love waterfowl / upland hunts up
In Canada with my dog

Montana upland with some fly fishing for cutthoats thrown in

Ok GW

FNG
For a white tail archery hunt Oklahoma’s nonresident archery permit is $300 and you get six deer of which 2 can be antlered and permit is valid from oct1-dec 31

I also used to love A zone blacktails and D zones. The low deer density and low chances of success made it really special when you did connect on an animal. Plus any legal deer was a trophy so there was no pressure to shoot a big one.

It has to be bowhunting BC Stone sheep for me, closely followed by bowhunting AZ Coues deer (mule deer or whitetail actually) and bowhunting BC black bears.

Jardo

WKR
I hunt elk every year. Most years I don’t draw. I hunt spikes in Utah, rag horns in Colorado or mature bulls in Idaho. Mostly spikes in Utah though.

You have to have a couple of backup plans cause I only draw a tag every 5 years or so. I apply in nearly every state for elk though. I have hunted elk every year for the last 18 years or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
For a white tail archery hunt Oklahoma’s nonresident archery permit is $300 and you get six deer of which 2 can be antlered and permit is valid from oct1-dec 31
For about that same price you can get a TN license and shoot 3 does a day in a lot of the state, 2 bucks for the year. Season goes from last Sat in Sept til first weekend in January. Archery, muzzy and rifle.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk