Favorite pattern - late October Elk

SemperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

I hope everyone is having a great time getting all their gear and everything squared away for this year's elk season. I will be going to the Weiser River area in Idaho chasing elk for the first time on disabled vet tags with a few other buddies. I think I may be putting too much thought into what pattern to use as opposed to making sure I've got a good layering system. That being the case, I wondered if I could get everyone's take on what patterns they use for late season Elk. I've been contemplating either SubAlpine or Open Country Sitka patterns.

Thanks,
Nathan

OP
SemperHunter

SemperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Orange is recommended but isn't mandated, if I'm understanding the regulations correctly. It will be a rifle hunt, so like you said the pattern doesn't matter near as much as if I were bow hunting. At the same time, I still want to make sure I can blend in as much as possible and not stick out like a sore thumb, with the exception of obviously wearing some orange so other hunters know where I am.

hobbes

WKR
It really won't make a penny's worth of difference. If I had to choose, I'd go open country in the late season. I use it early too.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Late season elk, patterns don’t matter on a rifle hunt. Unless your hunting the SUPER thick areas with a pistol, trying to find bulls in there hidey holes.

OP
SemperHunter

SemperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Lets say that I want to get gear that I can use for a few years and next year I shoot for doing an archery hunt a little closer to the rut, would there be a pattern you'd recommend for that?

Brendan

WKR
Camo doesn't matter in the scenarios you're talking about. Wear solids and orange.

Now, for an all-around pattern, I like Subalpine because it's good for September Elk in the Timber, Spring Turkey, Early season Whitetail. If I had to pick one, that'd probably be it. Sitka OC, EVII, Highlander, Valo, etc are better IMO for when the leaves are down or above treeline.

OP
SemperHunter

SemperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Camo doesn't matter in the scenarios you're talking about. Wear solids and orange.

Now, for an all-around pattern, I like Subalpine because it's good for September Elk in the Timber, Spring Turkey, Early season Whitetail. If I had to pick one, that'd probably be it. Sitka OC, EVII, Highlander, Valo, etc are better IMO for when the leaves are down or above treeline.
Subalpine was what I initially was thinking of and started accumulating. I only have gaiters, MR Metcalf pack and a rain jacket in it so far. I have a lot of clothing still to collect.

Lets say that I want to get gear that I can use for a few years and next year I shoot for doing an archery hunt a little closer to the rut, would there be a pattern you'd recommend for that?
Get Kuiu vias works for me in Wisconsin archery whitetail Arizona mulies/coues and Colorado mulies/elk

Elkangle

WKR
Nothing wrong with over thinking things !! Obviously your excited which is cool to see...i would go subalpine...it seems to be the most versatile pattern I've seen..but the elevation2 works really well too in those mix snow situations..so my system is subalpine with one elevated2 fanatic hoodie..

I've had loads and loads of experience where I'm glad I've used camo in rifle season...its antitrendy to want to use camo these days and that's just fine with me....lol

Sub Alpine seems to be the best all around pattern (From Sitka anyway) IMHO. Everything I have is Open Country, but I bought it before the Sub Alpine pattern came out. All of my hunting consists of Elk hunting in the Rockies (NM and Colo), so if I were to do it again, I would go sub alpine.
As others have said, plenty of Elk were killed before camo was the thing. I always see vintage pictures of hunters wearing the plaid wool overcoat and denim jeans, and they are posing next to some really BIG Elk !!

Wapiti1

WKR
All of my warmer gear is green or brown. After Sept, I don't bother with camo, but I also mainly rifle hunt where an orange vest is the minimum. It's never been an issue. Don't skyline, watch the wind, and plan your movement.

Jeremy

OP
SemperHunter

SemperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys! Subalpine is the pattern I was looking at anyway. Open Country can be had an additional discount which was really tempting so I may still get a few things in OC but I’ll stick to focusing on getting more subalpine.

In theory a larger macro pattern would be better for rifle hunting at distance. In my mind that means stuff like the first lite patterns or the Vias from Kuiu. But that's just a theory I made up in my head and has no basis in reality, just trying to help. :)