Favorite Phelps Calls

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to get some new reeds for the season. Got a couple Rocky Mountain Calls I like but wanna switch it up a bit this year. Give me your top 3 from Phelps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
Orange AMP, pitch black AMP (the only 2 that I can use well)

Over the past couple years I have been trying lots of different mouth reeds. I always seems to blow air past the reed. Maybe I have a wide mouth. I frequently buy one or two and work with them for awhile, usually determining that I can't use them well. But I am no expert by far, still learning to be consistent

I have a couple rocky mountain reeds that I can call with pretty well but I sometimes still blow past. I have been practicing a lot to help, but it still seems that the first call or two I might blow past, until I get the hang of it. Which as we all know doesn't matter, because the first call you make in the woods is the one that counts. No warm ups. In the past the phelps reeds I seem to call the worst with (the white commander, and two black ones; not sure which they are). They seem too small for my mouth or my technique is bad because I always blow past and can't seem to make a decent call.

However, I recently picked up some of the AMP series, and they have been awesome. I have the orange AMP and it works great. It fits well and I rarely blow past. Which helps because I can work on being consistent with the notes now instead of just trying to get a clean sound. I picked up the pitch black reed recently and have been blown away. The sound is great, no blow by, and it hits the high notes better than any other reed I have tried. I think it is going to be my go to for this season. Glad to have found it.

OP
Peaks&Creeks

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Shader112, have you tried cutting the material from the call? Usually blowing air past the call is from the “floppy fabric” around the frame being too large. I’ve cut 1/16” away at a time and then tried the call, if still blowing air past it, cut another 1/16” off. I’ve had several calls I thought just didn’t work, become some of my favorites.

I’m gonna try out some of the AMP calls you guys recommended, especially the orange and the black AMP.

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
Green amp, orange amp, & white.... but i do not use exclusively phelps reeds, I do prefer some of the rocky reeds over some of the phelps

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
Shader112, have you tried cutting the material from the call? Usually blowing air past the call is from the “floppy fabric” around the frame being too large. I’ve cut 1/16” away at a time and then tried the call, if still blowing air past it, cut another 1/16” off. I’ve had several calls I thought just didn’t work, become some of my favorites.

I’m gonna try out some of the AMP calls you guys recommended, especially the orange and the black AMP.

Thanks for the advice, I haven't tried cutting them. I assumed they were too small so air was getting around but now I think you are right. Usually after practicing a little the edges are rippled. It would make sense that they are too big. Do you do 1/16 off of each side?

What would you guys recommend from the Phelps line for a rookie? I can run most 2 and 3 Reed turkey calls proficiently so not a complete newb.

Bbell12

WKR
Blue BRO Phelps reed
The rest

OP
Peaks&Creeks

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the advice, I haven't tried cutting them. I assumed they were too small so air was getting around but now I think you are right. Usually after practicing a little the edges are rippled. It would make sense that they are too big. Do you do 1/16 off of each side?

Just cut all the way around the call in one continuous cut. Do 1/16” at a time and then try the call.