Favorite places to stop on the return trip? CO to VA

Sparkytoo

FNG
For all the East Coasters who travel west to hunt, what are some of your favorite places to stop along the way?
Hopefully we'll be rushing back with coolers of meat, but if not we will have time to spare. We've tried different routes over the years but have yet to find any "must do's". Looking for other's opinions to see what we've been missing.

NC_Hunter

FNG
On our way to CO from NC, we always make it a point to stop at Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ in Kansas City, KS. It's a small chain and we normally visit the "Freight House" location. Some of the best BBQ I have ever shoved into my mouth.

Gotta get the fried liver from that truck stop in Garden City.

@

Normally on the trip back just excited to be getting home. Try to make everything as fast as possible. One thing I had overlooked for a long time is Tamarack in West Virginia. Nice break from the awesome roads. Bunch of artisan stuff. The guy/gal that builds the tools from wood is pretty amazing.

IMG_20171023_154009266.jpgIMG_20171023_154031620.jpgIMG_20171023_154100480.jpgIMG_20171023_154040535-1.jpg

Pictures don't show the whole story. Everything is wood, the teeth on the chain for the saw are wood, so is the bar and everything else. Pretty certain the Chuck on the drill works too, all wood.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
If you can swing the few extra hours of driving north from Colorado, hit I-90 through South Dakota, all kinds of things right along the interstate to do, Badlands National Park, Black Hills etc. and lots of other neat stops

If you can swing the few extra hours of driving north from Colorado, hit I-90 through South Dakota, all kinds of things right along the interstate to do, Badlands National Park, Black Hills etc. and lots of other neat stops

Anything to avoid Kansas. This year I didn't let a tire hit that state.

Most of the time we are hauling freight. Too wore out to drive it all the way through. But, have only made one attempt to stop with a destination in mind. Denver. Because of strip clubs. That’s been quite a few years ago but, we planned it in.

Now, if it the guys, we just suck it up and drive through. With the wife, I stop the first night East of Denver and the second night in Columbia Missouri.

OP
S

Sparkytoo

FNG
Thanks, everyone! I'll keep them all in mind. The Tamarack has very neat stuff, I've been there years ago. If you're through Oklahoma City, Cattlemans Steakhouse is damn good and Quincys in Colorado is worth checking out also