Favorite Powder/Pellets?

BCD

WKR
I have a TC Triumph that I have not shot for several years. I'm not sure if I should buy powder or pellets and what brand? My understanding is that by using some of the newer pellets/powders that I wouldn't have to use the hot bucket of water for cleanup and could just use standard cleaning solvents??

I will be shooting TC Mag Express Sabots with .45 caliber Speer and Hornady pistol bullets (250-260 grain).

Thank You!

MThuntr

WKR
If this is a 209 primer muzzleloader then I'd go Federal 209A primers with Blackhorn 209. Work up charges by weight...Something in the 70-75 grain weight will probably do what you need.

Currently you may have issues finding primers and powder.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
If this is a 209 primer muzzleloader then I'd go Federal 209A primers with Blackhorn 209. Work up charges by weight...Something in the 70-75 grain weight will probably do what you need.

Currently you may have issues finding primers and powder.

Is there a reason you would choose the powder over pellets? I have several powder measures but not a scale. Do you feel a scale is necessary?

Thank You!!!

MThuntr

WKR
Is there a reason you would choose the powder over pellets? I have several powder measures but not a scale. Do you feel a scale is necessary?

Thank You!!!
It's all about being able to work a load up that fits your rifle. BH209 loose powder allows you to measure out to the 0.1 grain if you choose. Weighing charges is again more consistent. You don't have to weigh BH209 but once you do you'll never go back to volume loading it in your modern muzzleloader.

Blackhorn is easy to clean and often produces more consistent loads than others. There are a handful of articles about it. One article compared Blackhorn209 and Triple 7. They produced about similar velocities with the bullets chosen but Blackhorn charge was 120gr while the Triple 7 was 150gr. Both loose powders beat the pellet versions of the same weight.

The problem is that BH209 is expensive. $35+/10oz...I even saw it for $50 the other day at a Cabelas

Last edited:
Reactions: BCD

Lytro

WKR
Don’t even look at shooting anything other than Blackhorn 209. I shot Shockey Gold and 777 (both pellet and loose) for the past 12 years or so prior to switching to BH this year. I feel like an idiot for not doing it sooner. Perfect bullet seating every time after multiple shots, which will not happen with other powders even after a single shot, and I’m shooting clovers at 75 yards with a single power scope (magnification isn’t legal in SD for MLs). I’ve been measuring solely by volume and haven’t even found the need to break out the scale to weigh it. I likely will if I take it out of state and use magnified glass to extend my range though.

The only issue right now is that primers are non existent if you don’t already have some on hand. I had a pack of Remington 209 PSTS that ended up working fine. A little more fouling in the breech than I would like, but Ignition has been great.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
So if I get some Blackhorn, what is the best way to clean? Also, any suggestions on where to start working up a load by volume?

Thank You!

Lytro

WKR
So if I get some Blackhorn, what is the best way to clean? Also, any suggestions on where to start working up a load by volume?

Thank You!
You should be able to clean it however you like. I just remove the breech plug and soak it in the TC breech solution to remove primer fouling while I clean the barrel. I like to let that dry overnight after cleaning. For the barrel, I run two or three wet patches until all powder buildup is removed and follow it with a couple dry patches. I foul the barrel with a primer after putting the breech plug back in and I’m good to go.

For loads, 100 gr by Vol seems to be pretty popular. I’ve found that to work well in my setup with 250 gr SST Sabots. You could always start at 90 and work your way up If needed.

Last edited:

CoHiCntry

WKR

Thank You!

You should look on Blackhorn's web site for cleaning instructions. You clean it more like a centerfire rifle not with black powder cleaning solutions popular with other powders like T7.

From their web site...

We strongly recommend using oil based solvents to clean guns using Blackhorn 209. Typical solvents for muzzleloaders are water based and are not recommended. Water based solvents will create gumming and is difficult to remove.

ENCORE

WKR
Clean BH up with just Hoppe's #9, or you can use Montana Extreme Blackhorn 209 Cleaner.

Don't use water or water based products.

BH209 can be weighed. All other loose substitutes use VOLUME.

Lytro

WKR
You should look on Blackhorn's web site for cleaning instructions. You clean it more like a centerfire rifle not with black powder cleaning solutions popular with other powders like T7.

From their web site...

We strongly recommend using oil based solvents to clean guns using Blackhorn 209. Typical solvents for muzzleloaders are water based and are not recommended. Water based solvents will create gumming and is difficult to remove.
Thanks for adding that! I’m pretty sure I’ll need to stop using the TC breech solvent.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
So Balckhorn is the uncontested winner? No one has found anything you like better?

Are most of you using Hoppes to clean with then including the breach plug? Then just light oil (such as Rem Oil) after cleaning?

Any suggested products to use for swabbing between shots?

Thank You!!

ENCORE

WKR
So Balckhorn is the uncontested winner? No one has found anything you like better?

Are most of you using Hoppes to clean with then including the breach plug? Then just light oil (such as Rem Oil) after cleaning?

Any suggested products to use for swabbing between shots?

Thank You!!
BH209 in rifles capable of shooting it, is likely the top propellant for most. Now, that doesn't mean that if you're shooting and hunting is 100yds or less, that other propellants won't work just as well.

Hoppe's and Montana Extreme Blackhorn 209 Cleaner are likely the top products used by most. I personally use a 50/50 mixture of Hoppe's and 91% alcohol. If it hasn't been mentioned yet, be sure to clean the carbon from your breech plugs flash channel.

Rem Oil contains teflon. I have no clue why anyone would want that in their barrel. There are other very good lubricants that can be used. Birchwood Casey, Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner, etc.

Reactions: BCD
OP
B

BCD

WKR
BH209 in rifles capable of shooting it, is likely the top propellant for most. Now, that doesn't mean that if you're shooting and hunting is 100yds or less, that other propellants won't work just as well.

Hoppe's and Montana Extreme Blackhorn 209 Cleaner are likely the top products used by most. I personally use a 50/50 mixture of Hoppe's and 91% alcohol. If it hasn't been mentioned yet, be sure to clean the carbon from your breech plugs flash channel.

Rem Oil contains teflon. I have no clue why anyone would want that in their barrel. There are other very good lubricants that can be used. Birchwood Casey, Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner, etc.
What rifles wouldn't be capable of shooting BH209?

Thank You!

OP
B

BCD

WKR

Actually all of my hunting is at 100 yards or less. That being considered, are there other powders or pellets you would recommend instead of BH209?

MThuntr

WKR
What rifles wouldn't be capable of shooting BH209?

Thank You!
BH209 needs 209 shotgun primers to ignite it. They recommend magnum primers (specifically CCI and Federal)...do not use 209 primers that say for "muzzleloader" use those are different. Many of the newer inline rifles that use 209 primers should be able to work but there may be a few out there that don't. You'll have to research a specific model to know for sure. There are conversion kits available for some of the older inline rifles.

Rifles that use #11 or musket caps won't be able to set it of (or at least do so safely & consistently).

OP
B

BCD

WKR
BH209 needs 209 shotgun primers to ignite it. They recommend magnum primers (specifically CCI and Federal)...do not use 209 primers that say for "muzzleloader" use those are different. Many of the newer inline rifles that use 209 primers should be able to work but there may be a few out there that don't. You'll have to research a specific model to know for sure. There are conversion kits available for some of the older inline rifles.

Rifles that use #11 or musket caps won't be able to set it of (or at least do so safely & consistently).
Gotcha- Mine shoots the 209's (TC Triumph). Thank You!!

hunt1up

WKR
Blackhorn 209 and some Hoppes solvent to clean it. Get a grain scale and load up some speed-loaders for the field and go. Blackhorn truly is superior to pellets.

I shot pellets for years and they were always a mess to clean. Plus if you forget to clean a gun and it sits you will have a junk barrel before too long. I know a bunch of guys that shoot their muzzleloader during season, forget to clean it for a month, and then their barrels end up ruined.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
Do you guys use anything to swab between shots and what do you lubricate the barrel with when you're done cleaning?

ENCORE

WKR
Actually all of my hunting is at 100 yards or less. That being considered, are there other powders or pellets you would recommend instead of BH209?
The other guys cleared up what rifles can't shoot BH.

Any propellant, rather loose or pellet, IF ACCURATE, is fine for 100yds or less.
Actually T7 equals BH to 100yds. Its the progressive burn of BH that allows it to excel at longer ranges.
At issue for most is having to swab between shots, or cleaning with other propellants.

Shot from a quality rifle barrel, do not believe that pellets are wrong to shoot or can not be accurate, including at LONG range. Many shooters become obsessed with a single process and limit themselves.