Favorite SD Card Viewers

ndmarine

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried 3 of these now to include HME, BoneView and iUSB Pro - ALL have been underwhelming, crash a ton, freeze etc.

Wondering what everybody uses to view the pics out in the field (so think Iphone / Ipad attachments). Most of the time I don't feel like hauling a laptop miles into the backcountry or waiting until after i come out of a week long trip to view the pics...

Seems like the hardware/card readers are all fairly simple/standard but the programs these things run on have little to no thought or technology in them.

What's your favorite portable SD card viewer (and I'm definitely open to buying a new one if the accompanying app makes it worth it).

Thanks in advance!!!

Jbake108

FNG
Apple sells one for like 40ish. The only down side is you have to download the image to view in full screen. Which means you’ll have hundreds, probably thousands of images to delete off your phone once you’ve gone through them all through out the year.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Apple sells one for like 40ish. The only down side is you have to download the image to view in full screen. Which means you’ll have hundreds, probably thousands of images to delete off your phone once you’ve gone through them all through out the year.

This! I got rid of mine for this reason. I don’t want or need hundreds of trail cam pics on my phone. I now use this-
Stealth Cam SD Card Reader and Viewer with 4.3" LCD https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WHTQHCC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dpZdEb7NE3656
Paid $47 and I’m happy with it so far

TheCougar

WKR
I use the Apple $30 one. I bought from Best Buy to make sure it was legit. You can’t trust amazon electronics. So far it has worked great - all the others I tried were trash from China and didn’t work well. As stated above, you can only view thumbnails unless you download them to your phone. I’m not carrying a heavy camera LCD viewer with me in the field, so this is the best option I have found.

About 6 years ago, I bought a compact Canon point and shoot camera that takes SD cards on their clearance site. I think it cost me $40 shipped. That little camera has been incredible for viewing trail cam photos, and I occasionally use it for taking pictures too. But it just keeps on tickin'. Battery life has been great too. No complaints at all.

I've had the Apple one for about 5 years now, always works great. I create folders in my Photos app on my phone for each camera, then download the pics to the appropriate folder, keep what I want and delete the rest to free up space.

danarnold

WKR
went thru this last season, thousands to delete...
my boneview took a shit after a few years but was nice when it did work, although the adapter sucked, got the apple and realized the prob. I have a"I-Flash device" that has been working well

I've been using one where you have copy the photos to your phone before you can view them. Like stated above, I just created a folder for them, copy them all to that folder, look through them, copy the ones I want to keep to another folder and then delete everything in the folder. It's a pain though, so lately I've just been swapping the cards and connecting to my PC for view after I'm home.

Austink47

WKR
I have been happy with I-easydrive and the little card that come with stealth cams.

Scottyboy

WKR
I use a stealth cam one that I got from cabelas for $20? Works great, never had any issues. Deleting pics is a breeze, I will never use anything else as long as I own a iPhone.

Slayerz

FNG
I just use a cheapo card reader (picture attached), that plugs into my phone (Android) then I can open the picture files and view them like I would on a computer. It doesn't require saving the files to the phone and opens them quickly. I also have a Stealth Cam viewer (old, non-touch screen version) and it is very slow at opening the picture files, so it can take a long time if you are getting thousands of pictures.

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
I take my surface pro in and download the pictures. Can scroll thru fast on a tiled screen rather than 1 picture at a time. Also, I don’t need as many SD cards to swap and don’t have to worry about different camera formatting.

Jmeyers08

FNG
I just use a cheapo card reader (picture attached), that plugs into my phone (Android) then I can open the picture files and view them like I would on a computer. It doesn't require saving the files to the phone and opens them quickly. I also have a Stealth Cam viewer (old, non-touch screen version) and it is very slow at opening the picture files, so it can take a long time if you are getting thousands of pictures.

View attachment 144317
I run something similar for my newer Android with C type end, but also has apple plug. Will run normal or micro SDs. Got it on ebay for like $10 when a bone view one i originally got didnt work right

2rsquared

Lil-Rokslider

I have been taking the microSD card out of the trailcams and popping it directly in my Samsung S8, but kind of a pain to take off the phone case. Something like this seems like it would be easier.

Kilboars

WKR
Any updates on quality SD card readers for iPhones?

My HME and Stealth seemed to have died or are not supported with my iPhone 10.

What are you guys using these days?

TSAMP

WKR
I use a cheap Amazon reader. One with a cord since the direct plug type never fit my phones in their case. Typically I get the "cable matters" brand. They usually work awhile before the connection gets weird and I have to hold it just right to get it to work. But it's cheap, easy, no software and doesn't save to phone unless I want the image.

Kilboars

WKR
I use a cheap Amazon reader. One with a cord since the direct plug type never fit my phones in their case. Typically I get the "cable matters" brand. They usually work awhile before the connection gets weird and I have to hold it just right to get it to work. But it's cheap, easy, no software and doesn't save to phone unless I want the image.

Yeah. That’s the problem with my HME. The wires go bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder

WKR
I tried a couple attachments that plug into your cell phone and could never get them to recognize the SD card. I wound up using one of my trail cams that has a viewing screen on it. It doesn't take pictures at night anymore so It's kind of useless otherwise. I just bring it to look at all the cards on my other cameras. Works great. Now I'm not so bummed out about having a $60 camera die.

I just use an old gen 1 iPad with the apple SD card reader, yes you have to download all images to view them but I've just gotten used to it. Most of the time I just page through the thumbnails and download all images that have bucks on them them or anything else suspicious