Favorite SG Bag

slick

WKR
Just out of curiosity what SG bag is everyone using?

I have a Sky 7400 on the original Krux frame they haven’t made in quite a few years.

Looking at making an upgrade and not sure if the 5900 or the 6400 is more to my liking.

What’s your favorite SG pack and why?

-would be slick if I could make a poll.
ee139c1bc9304fb623c867459bccd629.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rilsee

FNG
I’ve tried the SG Solo 3300, the EVO 45/56 and the R3 5900.

The 5900 bag design is wonderful. I love the outside “water bottle” pockets. They hold your tripod, Helinox chair, trekking poles, water bottle exceptionally well. And, you can access them quite easily while wearing the pack.

The horseshoe style access paired with the roll top is very nice and convenient.

The center zip pocket fits my Maven S1A, rain jacket, and two swing out pockets with my bino tripod mount, phone scope, TP, and water filter. As well as stalking socks.

I really can’t see myself going to any other bag design. It’s efficiency and ease of use is outstanding.

I have the 3300, 5900, and 6900. If I only had to pick one it’d be the 5900. It’s large enough for 4-5 day trips and compresses down enough for a day pack. I only use the 6900 if going 5+ days and hardly use the 3300 at all anymore because I like the 5900 in bivy mode. All on xcurve.

I really like my 5900. My only complaint is that there are so many straps. Yesterday I was working on attaching the lid (which I have never used) in bivy mode and had to watch 4-5 videos to figure out what to do. The videos didn't help, but I eventually figured out a way to make it work on my own. For being a simple design, it sure is complicated!

I got the 5900 and don't think I'll look back.

I like the looks of the 6400 but unless you always have a bow strapped on I don't see any benefit of the single zip over the horseshoe. Also the difference in capacity is negligible. The 5900 can haul some huge loads.

I had a 5900 and 6900 and kept the 6900 purely for the extra space. I like the layout of the 5900 better. The big beaver tail zip is great. If they ever make the 6900 with one it's over. Before anyone recommends the 7900, I'm a lefty and the single side pocket on the left side isn't ideal. I'm all about those symmetrical bags.

4Cody4

FNG
I have a 3300 and can make it work. I put my food in a dry bag and put that on the load shelf for the trip in. I'm doing a 7 day trip out of it this year. That being said, the 5900 seems like a good size. I've added the accessory pocket to the front of mine which gives it an additional 900.

I have the Sky 5900, Solo, and Approach bags with an Xcurve Frame.

I chose the 5900 because I liked the layout for my personal hunting style. I wanted a large center area for my spotter and a jacket or tarp, etc... that was easy to get into. I also wanted to carry my tripod on one side and my rifle on the other. I was waffling between the 5900 and 6900, but again, that center pocket was a deal-sealer for me. And I wasn’t going to go up to the 7900 to get it. I also considered adding the Access Bag to the 6900, but having the center pocket integrated into the bag was important for me at least.

I was on a business trip in Salt Lake City last year at the time I was deliberatomg and was lucky enough to get to see all of the multi-day and expedition SG Packs at Black Ovis in West Valley, UT. They were awesome to deal with and being able to handle the packs and load them up in person was so helpful. I was really lucky to have been there and able to stop by one afternoon. They took the time to help me and answer any questions I had. Good luck!

Last edited:

DrHogfan

FNG
I really like my 5900. My only complaint is that there are so many straps. Yesterday I was working on attaching the lid (which I have never used) in bivy mode and had to watch 4-5 videos to figure out what to do. The videos didn't help, but I eventually figured out a way to make it work on my own. For being a simple design, it sure is complicated!

Yeah that took me a while to figure out too. I actually figured out not to attach the lid attachment straps to the storm flap tensioners and just buckle it down. That way you can still attach the lid.

Using the original Krux frame with a sky 7900. I had a 5100 at one point but the weight savings is negligible - if I need less space(always do unless my toddler is along for a backpacking trip) then I just use less space. I have a checklist I follow so it doesn’t turn into a “oh well I’ll just pack this too” fest.

jmez

WKR
I have a 5100 and no complaints. I've threatened to get a bigger bag but really no reason to. With the load shelf and a lid I can take 10 days worth of gear and food. No reason to upgrade.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I really like my Sky 7400 and EVO frame, but I think my favorite bag is the old school 6300 ci Terminus.

jmez

WKR
Terminus was a nice bag. My buddy has one that he had them put a center zip in when he bought it. Great bag with the zipper.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk