Favorite SG Bag

Used a 6900 for everything last year and it was alright. Pretty wide when you get the side pockets full. Will be using a solo 3600 this year because I don’t have any extended backpack trips planned. Only thing I don’t like about it thus far is there is no bottom pocket on the sides for tucking in trekking pole tips or tripod feet.

5900 looks pretty nice. Didn’t have quite the capacity I wanted for extended trips and is notably heavier than the solo for 1-2 nighters and day trips.

Last edited:

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
Sub’d. Considering replacing my Mystery Ranch after this season, and a Stone Glacier is on the short list.

I started with an approach 1800 which I didn't like at all, then went to a 5900 which I thought I would really like because I really like horseshoe zip pack bags, and the 5900 for me was just lacking a little bit of organization ability. The outside center zip needed some swing out attachment points up higher or something because everything in that pocket just ends up in a heap at the bottom, the attachment points let what is attached sit at the bottom as well. Maybe it was intended for a spotter which I don't run. Then I went to the 3300 with access bag and hydration lid for a year which worked pretty well, I just felt like too often later in the season I was on the verge of being out of room and it was a pain to get to things in the bottom of the pack with how I had my camp pocket and top outside pocket loaded. Went to the 6900 earlier this year and I think I'm going to be happy with this one for awhile. Has enough attachment points to stay organized and keep things from ending up in the bottom while also providing great access and large capacity. I like to pack meat inside the bag because I feel it hauls better that way which shouldn't be a problem at all with this bag. Most SG bags to me are setup for a pack in unload and glass type hunt, where I am in them constantly day hunting, adding layers, eating etc.

Dover those are my exact thoughts. I use two swing out pockets in the "spotter" pocket. One is a first aid kit, the other is a kill kit and they work well, I just wish they were at the top of the pocket rather than the bottom. Everything ends up in a pile at the bottom of the pocket. I do really like the horseshoe zipper. It makes accessing things at the bottom of the main compartment much easier. The small pockets on the sides work really well for a tripod, or hiking sticks. I haven't tried a nalgene bottle in them yet because I'm afraid I'll lose it.
DrHogfan, that is a good idea with the lid. It would be helpful if they would color code or number the straps up top so you knew which one went where. I put on the rifle carrier the other day for my October hunt, but haven't tried it out yet.

J86Warren

FNG
I really like my 5900. My only complaint is that there are so many straps. Yesterday I was working on attaching the lid (which I have never used) in bivy mode and had to watch 4-5 videos to figure out what to do. The videos didn't help, but I eventually figured out a way to make it work on my own. For being a simple design, it sure is complicated!
If you take the time to learn what every strap does, it becomes quite simple indeed! I think the design is pretty genius

does the 6400 have one side zip pocket?

no, the one side spotting scope pocket is accessed through the same size zipper into the main bag. Than there is a pocket sleeve with an angle open top to either stuff gear or slide a spotting scope in and out of. It worked really well. Let me know I can send you some pics if you want.

RCL

WKR
Been using a sky on original krux frame for last couple of years, but I am only out for couple of days at a time.
Really wish they would offer a roll top bag.
Thought about upgrading frame, but this one is really comfortable.

I started with the Approach on the X-Curve because I knew I'd be day hunting more this year, with the plan to throw overnight stuff in a dry bag in the load shelf if needed, and then buy something larger for subsequent years. As it turns out I really like the Approach and think I may just roll this thing next year, still keeping the overnight stuff in the load shelf. I like the spotting scope pocket and how the tripod attaches to the outside of the bag. I use the accessory pocket attached to the inside of the bag for organization.

nobody

WKR
Following. I currently run and absolutely LOVE my Avail 2200 on the X-Curve Frame (a SIGNIFICANT step up from my Badlands Superday), but the more I use it, the more I think I wish it was just a hair bigger.

huntem

FNG
Not trying to hijack the thread but still on a similar vein. Those running the larger bags, would you agree they pack down nicely in bivy mode once in camp? I have a SG Kiowa but run a different brand frame pack.

huntem

FNG
Following. I currently run and absolutely LOVE my Avail 2200 on the X-Curve Frame (a SIGNIFICANT step up from my Badlands Superday), but the more I use it, the more I think I wish it was just a hair bigger.
I first ordered the Avail but exchanged it for the Kiowa. For my needs it was a wise choice.

Kotaman

WKR
Not trying to hijack the thread but still on a similar vein. Those running the larger bags, would you agree they pack down nicely in bivy mode once in camp? I have a SG Kiowa but run a different brand frame pack.

Yes, they go into day pack mode like no other.

I have/have had pretty much every Stone Glacier made. Probably the most versatile bag they have is the 5900. I love the Talus 6900 for backpack hunts, but use the 5900 for most everything else. In day pack mode it is just slightly larger than a 3000 ci pack. The 5900 has really eliminated my needs for a small day pack bag. My Avail and 3300 get next to no use anymore.

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
I first ordered the Avail but exchanged it for the Kiowa. For my needs it was a wise choice.
100% go with the biggest bag you will want and it will pack down for a day pack. I started with a 1800 for a day pack and regret it now. I am the lucky 1 millionth guy to say this but the 5900 is the best bag there is. It can run an easy day pack in bivy and open up to a 5 day plus bag. Can't go wrong with it.

OP
slick

slick

WKR
Even my old 7400 cinches down to nothing in Bivy mode. As others have said it’s like a 3-3500cu pack then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk