Favorite small game recipes

rashtack

FNG
What's everyone's favorite recipes for various small game? I've got a stock pile of squirrel that I need to cook up soon

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I make stew. let the game of choice simmer in a dutch oven or crock pot for several hours(preferably while you are out hunting for more). Drain. Add beef stock, an envelope or two of lipton onion soup mix and chopped up taters and onions. Simmer until taters are half cooked. add mushrooms and a bag of mixed veggies. continue to simmer uncovered and serve when ready with italian bread or fresh dutch oven biscuits. The leftovers can be tastier than the original too!!

49ereric

WKR
Wife uses the crockpot for squirrels after browning them first.
grouse or pheasant breast done in the crockpot as well. Cut up into pieces first and cooked with your choice of cream of soups. Dried morel mushrooms on top and cook on low. Cook some wild rice and serve.

Last edited:

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
We tend to do soups or stews with squirrels and rabbits because it's an easy to use the smaller pieces of meat. The most recent favorite is chicken and dumplings, but rabbit instead of chicken. Taco soup was good, but I made it a bit too spicy for the kids. Small game is great in pot pies too.

Par boil rabbit, then flour and fry nice and brown in cast iron skillet, with fried taters a couple cats head biscuits, squirrel pot pie, either slippery type or baked in a pie crust, Quail split down the breast wrapped with a strip of bacon laid out flat on the BBQ basted in butter with a sprinkle of Cajun seasoning, along with a rice pilaf is nice also, any small game in a gumbo is good eating.

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
We tend to do soups or stews with squirrels and rabbits because it's an easy to use the smaller pieces of meat. The most recent favorite is chicken and dumplings, but rabbit instead of chicken. Taco soup was good, but I made it a bit too spicy for the kids. Small game is great in pot pies too.
we always do squirrel and dumplings over mashed potatoes. Its the best.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Pheasant pot pie. for it to be exceptional you must make your own pie crust. The real secret for the crust is Vodka, really.

Fordguy

WKR
Squirrels are terrific in gumbo, personally, I use 2 squirrels and a rabbit in my gumbo in addition to the andouille, shrimp and other ingredients. Rabbit and squirrel are both good in pot pies.
I make a white chili with rabbit.
Also make a homemade barbeque sauce and eat rabbit in sandwiches like pulled pork or beef.

Small game is pretty versatile. I'm sure several cookbooks have been written on the topic.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Why? Something to do with it cooking off?
Here is recipe. A food processors is a MUST for it to come out right. .2.5 cups all purpose flour, 2TBSP sugar, 1tsp salt, 12 TBSP unsalted butter ( put in freezer for about 20 minutes, then grate when time to add.) 8 TBSP veg. shortening, again put in freezer, then cut into 4 pieces, 1/4 cup vodka, 1/4 chilled water. process 1.5 cup flour, sugar and salt in food processor, process about 5 seconds until combined. Scatter butter and shortening in and process until mixture begins to form uneven clumps with no remaining flour bits, m about 15 seconds. Scrape down processor bowl and redistribute dough evenly around blades add remaining flour, pulse until mixture has broken up Inyo pieces and is evenly distributed around bowl, 4-6 pulses. transfer mixture to large bowl. sprinkle vodka and ice water over mixture, stir and press dough together with rubber spatula until dough sticks together. divide into two even pieces turn each piece of dough onto sheet of plastic wrap and flatten into 4 inch disk. wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for one hour. Before rolling out let it sit out for about ten mins. Put one in 9" pie pan and add your pheasant and vegetable mixture or what ever you chose to make pie with. cover mixture with remains dought. Vodka is essential to the tender texture of this crust and imparts no flavor. do not substitute water. Dough is moisture than your normal dough and will require lots of flour to roll out, about 1/4 cup.

TFrank

WKR
Here is recipe. A food processors is a MUST for it to come out right. .2.5 cups all purpose flour, 2TBSP sugar, 1tsp salt, 12 TBSP unsalted butter ( put in freezer for about 20 minutes, then grate when time to add.) 8 TBSP veg. shortening, again put in freezer, then cut into 4 pieces, 1/4 cup vodka, 1/4 chilled water. process 1.5 cup flour, sugar and salt in food processor, process about 5 seconds until combined. Scatter butter and shortening in and process until mixture begins to form uneven clumps with no remaining flour bits, m about 15 seconds. Scrape down processor bowl and redistribute dough evenly around blades add remaining flour, pulse until mixture has broken up Inyo pieces and is evenly distributed around bowl, 4-6 pulses. transfer mixture to large bowl. sprinkle vodka and ice water over mixture, stir and press dough together with rubber spatula until dough sticks together. divide into two even pieces turn each piece of dough onto sheet of plastic wrap and flatten into 4 inch disk. wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for one hour. Before rolling out let it sit out for about ten mins. Put one in 9" pie pan and add your pheasant and vegetable mixture or what ever you chose to make pie with. cover mixture with remains dought. Vodka is essential to the tender texture of this crust and imparts no flavor. do not substitute water. Dough is moisture than your normal dough and will require lots of flour to roll out, about 1/4 cup.
Alright, making it next week