Favorite stone glacier bag

For those that have tried a few diffrent sg bags what is your go to bag , looking for a bag to drop camp and day hunt mostly. And am torn between the smaller bags and a dry bag or the larger and running in bivy mode.

Kotaman

WKR
I just run their bigger bags and cinch them down for daypack mode. My favorite is the Talus 6900. These bags are designed the seamlessly go into daypack mode.

tttoadman

WKR
I am a fan of a big bag. I had the Solo bag for years, and really liked it. I wouldn't deploy the load shelf to go in, I just put dry bags on the sides and added a lid. I picked up a bigger bag, and I am really happy with it. They all cinch down the same. I found that even for a 3-4 day hunt, the Solo bag was a bit of a squeeze for me. Some of my gear is not near as compact as some others'.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've had the Solo, Skyarcher, Talus 6900, and Approach. I sold all the bigger bags and run the Approach with a large dry bag now. That way I can just drop camp with the dry bag, and I'm already to go with the Approach as my day pack. But I'm not doing anything longer than 2-3 days at a time for pack in type hunts generally. For 7+ days, I'd need the 6900 again.

I've also owned several SG bags (Solo, Terminus, Sky 7400, and Approach), but now I just have the 7400 and Approach. I pretty much just use the 7400 and the Approach is more for my son. Most of my hunts are 10 days but occasionally I'll only do a week. I also have an Access bag if I need extra space for longer hunts.
You could just go ahead and buy a frame and small bag to try with the dry bag combo and if you decided that it wasn't working out, I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem selling the small bag to fund a larger one.

Last edited:

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I LOVE the 5900 - in bivy mode it's like my solo, except it expands out of course. I've ran the solo, sky archer, smaller access bag, Serac and Avail. One thing I'll say is it's nice to have one of those smaller bags that allows you to tip your head back freely, when day cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Steakngravy
Been running a 5500 exo since 14 but have liked the simple look of the sg stuff then they came out with the xcurve so figured I'd give one a try

R_burg

WKR
I had a hell of a time deciding between the 5900 and 6900, but I went with the 6900 at the suggestion of Kurt. I bow hunt and he thought that I would prefer the side pockets for my spotter and other gear, rather than putting the bow over any hard goods I might have in the front pocket of the 5900.

Even though thats what Kurt suggested, I am STILL second guessing myself, as the 5900 looks like it gets really slim and compact in bivy mode, which I really love.

The 6900 gets here in a couple days, so we will see, haha.

Benjblt

WKR
I bought the 6900 and packed out my first animal with it two days ago uaing the load shelf and dry bag. It was super slick. I was only using it as a day pack and it works great for that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sr80

WKR
5900, 6900 or 7400 would be my favs. Currently i am using the talus 6900 and its been great. Theyll all compress down small and compact and pretty much be the same in bivy more - except with different access to the inside, either center zip or panel. I use mine in bivy more with lid and its my favorite setup. Usually the only time i use the outside zippered pockets is when im packing an animal out and use them to stuff things into. Id like to see them put the small pockets on both sides of the 7400 to accept and water bottle or tripod legs. If the 7400 had those id probably choose that one.

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
I had the solo and went to the sky archer, just for versatility. You can cinch it down nice and small and with a lid it's pretty streamlined. I also don't have all the small ultralight gear that some of the others have, so the extra space is nice when throwing in a big fleece or trail cameras or whatever. I also carry a dslr camera so that requires even more space. If I had all my gear completely dialed in though, I might run a solo with a lid. Either way great bag, love em both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk