Favorite trout/steelhead spinning set up and tactics

Looking to hear some feedback from folks on their spinning setup and techniques for trout/steelhead. I’m always looking for new ideas whether it be spoons, spinners, fly patterns or micro jigs. My personal favorite for stocked trout in Wv is a 8’6” ultralight, diawa regal 2000, 2lb trout magnet line. I enjoy float fishing the most. My go to is a raven float, micro swivel, fluorocarbon leader with a trout magnet, pink, white, orange. I’ve recently started to venture into rapalas, lil Cleo, blue fox and joes flies spinners.I would love to hear what you guys are putting fish on the bank with. If it’s something you’re not comfortable sharing with the public, pm me and we can bounce ideas around. Thanks for looking and best wishes.

prm

WKR
Can't speak authoritatively to rod/reel, but the Mepps Black Fury has been my go-to spinner for roughly 50 years. Caught many Browns in CO during my youth and it still works on smallmouth in VA creeks.

dtrkyman

WKR
I use variations of wooly buggers, micro clousers and micro jigs. Lots of maribou, best results tend to be under a clear casting bubble. Sometimes a weightless bugger behind a small jig.

A hot pink and white micro clouser has been hot so far this spring!

Spinners also have been really productive, an old Luhr Jensen bang tail has been a favorite.

I am talking stocked rainbows.

6'6'-8 foot spinning, light braid to light flouro leader.

Gulp worms in the little jar in natural color under a slip bobber.

bbell

WKR
10ft spinning rod with 8lb line. Slip bobber and a 1/8-1/4oz pink and white maribou jig. Killed a lot of winter steelhead with that combo.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
ultralight rod, shimano reel, 4 pd test, black rooster tail or rapalas for trout

OP
H
There’s not too much I haven’t dabbled with. The steel headers got me into using beads and yarn eggs. Watching those guys clean up with that and center pins was a wake up. I don’t center pin but I do throw beads and eggs under a float. It’s usually my backup to micro jigs. I’m still searching for a good maribou jig for trout. For whatever reason they prefer a plastic body in my area.

dtrkyman

WKR
Interesting, I cant buy a fish on plastic and kill on maribou and synthetic hair as well as deer hair some.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have several spinning set ups, most with 6# line to which I add lighter leader. I like Thomas buoyants lures, Memps spinners, small rapalas and such. I also use various baits with small #14 hook. I usually fish faster moving mountain rivers so I will fish back washes or fish the inside bank where the waters are slower. I fish spots that others pass up, and always come away with fish.

ODB

WKR
I am the Mepps king. Just ask my brother.

I roll 4lb xl with #1 Mepps in gold, silver and copper. Change out the treble for single when needed.

Go forth and slay the trout.

If one of those won’t catch trout, none of them will.

For non fly fishing fun, Joe’s flies and jakes lures are my go to for slaying cutties and bull trout here in north central Idaho.

I run 6-8 lb test depending on the river.

OP
H
Seems like Mepps are popular, around home a lot of folks throw the joe fly spinners. Some guys swear by them. Anyone tie spawn sacks for stocked trout?