Favorite Upland Hunting Clothing/Gear

ptwysocki

FNG
as much as i'd love to saw some new vest or boots...honestly its the garmin alpha. And don't get me wrong i actually think it's a bit overkill and have some gripes with it. But, then i forgot it one day at home when hunting by myself and just one dog. Realized just how much of a game changer that gear is -- simply couldn't hunt without it.

Tex68w

WKR
Probably my Wingworks vest. So much more comfortable with weight than the standard upland vest and more durable as well.

Ditto! The vest is the best upland kit I've bought to date. For shirts I still rock old school Filson button downs and when it's a touch cold or windy I have a Sitka blaze orange zip up that I keep in the zipper pocket of my vest with my chaps. I'll look into those First Lite pants as that's one area I am still working through as most pairs I've tried have let me down.

NY16ga

FNG
a good pair of boots if you are planning on putting the miles on. Just switched to Crispis and so far so good

Me too, insulated Nevadas. I'm still breaking them walking in around town but I'm excited to really test them out once our season starts on the 1st.

twall13

WKR
I've been using more traditional upland boots for years but a few years ago I broke my foot (5th metatarsal) and needed a surgery adding a couple pins and a plate to hold things together. I had a SD pheasant trip planned 4 weeks after the surgery and the Dr. cleared me to go as long as I wore stiff boots, so I took my Crispi Hunters on that trip. That year was extremely wet. Everyone else in the group had wet feet after the first day and switched to their backup boots for day 2. That lead to everyone having 2 pairs of soggy boots by day 3. I was the only one with dry feet and I wore those Crispis the entire trip. A stiff boot isn't always as comfortable for walking fields but on sidehills they work better and I really believe the stiffer boots help the goretex liner to last a lot longer since it isn't flexing and wearing nearly as much. Plus, when Chukar hunting I want a stiff boot anyway! It's nice to have some good options out there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ffcpfef

FNG
I’ve been really impressed with First Lite’s Sawbuck brush pant. The material is lightweight and flexible and doesn’t fight movement. They have held up well in cattails, crop fields, and CRP but I have yet to get them into anything real thorny. Not sure they would be durable enough to hunt ruffed grouse clearcut whips and briars year after year without needing replacement though.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
I’ve been really impressed with First Lite’s Sawbuck brush pant. The material is lightweight and flexible and doesn’t fight movement. They have held up well in cattails, crop fields, and CRP but I have yet to get them into anything real thorny. Not sure they would be durable enough to hunt ruffed grouse clearcut whips and briars year after year without needing replacement though.
I ordered a pair, definitely look and feel comfortable. I am anxious to try them out this fall. If they hold up well I think it's a pretty solid price point in comparison to LLbean, Filson, Orvis, etc.

Wassid82

WKR
badlands vest have been great for all my upland game plus caring water for me and my dogs

Rbrok

FNG
Final Rise vest is going to get a try this season. Good wp boots for lots of walking and gaiters. I also use brush chaps for the wet grass.

Forelle

FNG
Have a 1/2 vest waist pack that I use for mountain quail in northern CA, made by Browning. Only thing that I can use in the heat climbing around in the mountains.

Michael54

WKR
You guys should look into the mule brand sold by okie dog supply. Their brush pants/shirts/jackets and coats are comfortable and bomb proof. The hoodie with denier nylon brush sleeves is probably my favorite though. None of their stuff will break the bank either.

bmejia

FNG
Orvis tough shell pants have been great for me. Pretty good protection from thorns, waterproof, breath ok, warm and have side vents to dump heat when needed.

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
I've been wearing the FL sawbuck brush pant bird hunting this season. They are really nice and are as good as I have found. About the only scenario they would not be great for would be extreme nasty briars.

Dans chaps. Can’t hurt them. I also have an old cabelas wind proof coat. It’s all orange. No idea of model but I’ve worn it for years and I can’t get rid of it.

jmez

WKR
Question for you guys that use the vest. Do the birds fall out of the game bag when you bend over to tie a boot or pick something up. The bag looks pretty shallow and that would irritate me.

Michael54

WKR
Question for you guys that use the vest. Do the birds fall out of the game bag when you bend over to tie a boot or pick something up. The bag looks pretty shallow and that would irritate me.
What brand vest?