Favorite upland pants?

I just picked up the First Lite Sawbuck Brush pants and I’m not sure how I feel about them. The legs feel super baggy and like they might kind of drag a lot going through brush. I am 6’8” and about 275 lbs (tall and lanky) so was thinking they would be a tighter fit in the legs after reading some reviews. I’m not sure if I will keep these or not. I mostly chukar hunt but I am hoping to make it out of state to pheasant hunt a bit this year. When I chukar hunt I run the Sitka mountain pants and love them but just wonder if they will get too torn up busting cattails and thick brush all day? What pants are you guys running for pheasant hunts or other hunts where you are in thicker cover?

lacire

FNG
I just picked up the First Lite Sawbuck Brush pants and I’m not sure how I feel about them. The legs feel super baggy and like they might kind of drag a lot going through brush. I am 6’8” and about 275 lbs (tall and lanky) so was thinking they would be a tighter fit in the legs after reading some reviews. I’m not sure if I will keep these or not. I mostly chukar hunt but I am hoping to make it out of state to pheasant hunt a bit this year. When I chukar hunt I run the Sitka mountain pants and love them but just wonder if they will get too torn up busting cattails and thick brush all day? What pants are you guys running for pheasant hunts or other hunts where you are in thicker cover?
I think your Sitka mountain pants should do fine. I have a couple pair and they’re one of my favorites. I took a pair of the Sitka accent paints to Mexico this year and busted through a lot of brush with them. The fabric is so light weight I thought for sure they‘d be shredded but they worked out great. So from personal experience I could also recommend these. The pheasant hunting I’ve done has been in corn, and wheat fields and on the edges of rice, beet and grape vineyards where the weeds are pretty thick and usually wet in the mornings, you my want to throw in a pair of gaiters to keep your paints from wetting out below the knees.

OP
M
I think your Sitka mountain pants should do fine. I have a couple pair and they’re one of my favorites. I took a pair of the Sitka accent paints to Mexico this year and busted through a lot of brush with them. The fabric is so light weight I thought for sure they‘d be shredded but they worked out great. So from personal experience I could also recommend these. The pheasant hunting I’ve done has been in corn, and wheat fields and on the edges of rice, beet and grape vineyards where the weeds are pretty thick and usually wet in the mornings, you my want to throw in a pair of gaiters to keep your paints from wetting out below the knees.
Good to know on the mountain pants! Thanks!

OMB

WKR
I've been wearing the Orvis Missouri Breaks pants for 5 or 6 years now and I've found them to be fantastic. Can be a little warm during early season hunts when it's over 65 degrees, but otherwise they're awesome, I haven't had to throw on my Filson chaps at all even in the nastiest Northwoods upland country. Order them unhemmed and have a tailor do it and reinforce the cuff. I usually wear them 25-30 days a year hunting or working in the brush and I can usually get at least 3 seasons out of one pair.

Kindo

WKR
I haven’t been able to wear them on legit hunts yet but have for hiking in the Rockies as well as dog training in the briars and thorns this summer.

Duluth Trading Boundary Pants. They are the fire hose material but stretch a bit. I wish they made a reinforced thigh but they’ve done well and are probably one of my favorite pants right now.

Kindo

WKR
I haven’t been able to wear them on legit hunts yet but have for hiking in the Rockies as well as dog training in the briars and thorns this summer.

Duluth Trading Boundary Pants. They are the fire hose material but stretch a bit. I wish they made a reinforced thigh but they’ve done well and are probably one of my favorite pants right now.
Note: They’re currently 25% off right now.

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on what type of cover you will be hunting pheasants in. Where I hunt pheasants a lot of the name brand "hunting" pants do not work. They get shredded. I wear Carhartt or Dickies work pants with double fabric over the front of the pants for durability. Carhartt makes a waterproof work pant that I have that works well for wet mornings.

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
I like dedicated bird hunting pants, they always look so schnazzy with the matching padded shooting shirts, all pristine and serious looking usually with the dogs that don’t listen worth a cat turd.

Carharts, dickies, Duluth trading, in a canvas fabric is all you’ll ever need.

Get the double layered reinforced knees if your busting serious cover, but I never saw the point cause if I need two layers on my knees (very durable part of the human body) to get through sharp narly terrain, why am I not worried about my dogs face/eyes (Not as durable) getting abused.

last year a handful of roosters busted and landed in a stick brush ((I don’t know the plantolgy given name)) field, the type of stuff that spells scratched eyes and busted cheeks, so I let them roosters go they win, and we hunted on, still got a limit that day and no medical attention or brush busting pants were needed) the end.

NDGuy

WKR
I loved my Sawbuck pants. Wore them a dozen times last year bird hunting and also while rifle hunting.

Southeast

FNG

It's good to see I'm not the only one. I have worn Riggs pants for the past 6 or 8 seasons working as a pheasant guide here in SD. The durability is fine, especially when the cost is considered. like having that cargo pocket and very few specialty upland pants have one.

That being said, I'm really interested in testing those Orvis Missouri Breaks pants next.