FavoriteTreestand harness?

born2kill

FNG
It depends . You don’t want too much slack. I generally have my tether about mid back height.

I should have been more specific. Was talking about the remaining rope after your prussic attachment. I don’t like the idea of that rope hanging around my legs and feet when maneuvering around platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCMike

FNG
Haven’t had a drink of kool aid in probably 60 years. The point of the suspension relief system was a full body harness is worn by a lot of hunters without the simple system in possession. That is dangerous too. Don’t have to think very much to know it would not work with a rock climbing harness Duh Would love to see a really comfortable harness and one we could stake our life on.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Haven’t had a drink of kool aid in probably 60 years. The point of the suspension relief system was a full body harness is worn by a lot of hunters without the simple system in possession. That is dangerous too. Don’t have to think very much to know it would not work with a rock climbing harness Duh Would love to see a really comfortable harness and one we could stake our life on.

Grab your full body “hunting” harness that attaches between your shoulder blades and a rock climbing harness that attaches in the front. Now, safely “hang” from each, simulating a fall. Then come back and report which one is easier to self recover and which one causes your blood flow to your legs to stop first.

Felix40

WKR
I have a basic climbing harness made by edelrid. Its probably not the best but it’s way better than any hunting harness I’ve ever used. Easier to put on (just step into it). Can change upper body layers without taking it off. Lineman’s belt attaches in the front just fine even though it’s slightly less stable. And it took no tinkering or modifications to make it work. It even has loops for quick draws that I can clip my stand and sticks to when climbing.

I’ve taken a lot of falls in it and never been pinched or afraid for my life.

Scrappy

WKR
I should have been more specific. Was talking about the remaining rope after your prussic attachment. I don’t like the idea of that rope hanging around my legs and feet when maneuvering around platform.

I just tuck the rest into my cargo pocket.

Travis907

WKR
I’m kind of intrigued now.
For those of you using the rock climbing harnesses. What companies are good? Don’t know much about them!

Squirrels

WKR
I’m kind of intrigued now.
For those of you using the rock climbing harnesses. What companies are good? Don’t know much about them!
Checkout the following websites
REI, Moosejaw, Backcountry. All have several options. A Petzl Falcon Mountain harness is expensive but is full featured which include lineman’s loop. Misty Mountain is good stuff to buy even more pricey.

Pflum

FNG
Black diamond alpine bod. Rock climbing harness is better in every way. Don't know how the full body harness companies are still in business, other than people are afraid of change.

Travis907

WKR
There is no metal loop on the back of the harness? Does the tether that attaches to the tree attach to the front metal loop?

Pflum

FNG
Yes, tether attaches in front. That way when you fall you are sitting in the harness.

born2kill

FNG
I went ahead and ordered a Killdeer. Been looking for a while and this harness checks all the boxes. I don’t think there’s anything I won’t like about it. Looking forward to the change in 2022.

NGA

FNG
My hunter safety system harness is hands down my favorite. So much easier/quicker on/off and more comfortable than my muddy

OP
the_paddling_bowman
I went ahead and ordered a Killdeer. Been looking for a while and this harness checks all the boxes. I don’t think there’s anything I won’t like about it. Looking forward to the change in 2022.

They do look nice, I'm tempted to order a petzl pandion and give that a try.

I was looking at these actually! just trying to figure out the linesman belt attachment.

I pretty much copied his setup exactly other than the way he runs his tether. I just use a normal tree tether once I get up into the tree. It has been working great for me for 2 years now and I couldnt imagine going back to a regular vest style harness. Makes adding or changing layers in the tree super easy and it can double as a makeshift saddle if you ever really needed it. I use it like that sometimes just for glassing behind me at slow times just to change the position up a bit. The gym harness is nice too because there's hardly and metal on it and its super adjustable so it works great from early season light layers all the way through late season with tons of layers.

Rtn710

FNG
I know a few folks that use the BD vario and alpine bod and love them. I haven’t made the switch yet but plan to this year.

Foxsoup

FNG
Black diamond alpine bod. Rock climbing harness is better in every way. Don't know how the full body harness companies are still in business, other than people are afraid of change.

It’s prob easier to comply to safety regulations. Full body harnesses are designed for long drops with lots of extra weight attached to the user ( construction ect) with a cheap basic design, and a rip stitch lead you exceed any fall requirements.

Btaylor

WKR
The thing about using an RC is in the event of a fall, there is zero reason to hang and wait for help. By learning the munter hitch or having a figure 8 where you can easily reach it, you can simply rappel to the ground if you are hunting off of a rope reaching the ground rather than a short tether. There are plenty of other options for coming down such as an ATC or a Madrock safeguard etc. The primary point is understanding and being practiced in self-rescue and how much easier that is using an RC than a traditional harness.